View Single Post
Old 02-28-2002, 10:57 PM   #19
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs down Instead of insuling and storming off

You could always try to argue the merits of religion.

Like the fact it's been an integral part of tying people together. It has allowed teamwork and acceptance of colleagues with the same views as another person. Throughout history religion has had a hand in making some of the greatest man made objects on this planet stand for ages.

The pyramids of Egypt wouldn't exist today if not for religion. Indeed much technology and knowledge has come from religious worship. Was there any reason to build temples or churches to worship gods? How about Rome? Would it have existed without gods? Cities dedicated to the support of temples and people expanding society through their dedication to their gods? One could argue that without religion we might still be hunter/gatherers. After all, there was no logical reason to do many of the things we did. We certainly could not have known the outcome of our actions 5000 or more years ago on today's world.

How about morals? Things I consider to be basic good moral character is founded in the Bible. If the Bible said that everybody should "be an *** to thy neighbor," what I consider good moral character may be an altogether different set of ideas. Now that is technically faith, and not religion, but religious followers over the last couple thousand years have dedicated themselves to preserving the text as accurately as possible. Without that religious group's effort, the Bible may very well read "Beat the crap out of thy neighbor at your earliest convenience."

There is always another side, another view, and a basis to support that view. In a topic as touchy as this I would have rather seen it instead of being called names.

It's just quite depressing when somebody of your caliber sinks to just rattling off insults, Jim
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote