MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-29-2002, 11:44 AM   #1
Tinseltown349
Registered Member

Default Lightening up my 2000 GT

alright, here's a question for all of you mod-motor boys. well, i've done all i could get the beast running all-around great (more power is always welcome though, but anyhow) how can i get my 2000 GT convertible to shed the pounds. she's getting a little fat around the waist, and i don't like it, it's time for a diet. I thought about taking out my convertible motor, so that the top is just a manual hand-top. I imagine this would be a good 100-150lbs savings, i just don't know how easy or practical this would be, and whether or not it would be an easy install back if i ever did sell it...gasp, NEVER!...hehe...but, other than that, it seems like ditching the rear seat would be another good 20lbs but would ruin the finish of the inside, anyone make like a cover up for that in case you do that? how bout some tubular k's? can't seem to find anyone making them, i must be blind or not looking in the right places. anyhow, help me and my car out to get her shedding the pounds. I figure if i lose a good 200lbs in her, i'd gain another .25 seconds in the 1/4...hehe...i'm ridiculous, no? but seriously, if you have any ideas (that don't include removing A/C or stereo...cough, cough...Mustang Cobra R anyone?) let me hear them now! thanks
Mods to 2000 Mustang GT- Vortech SQ supercharger, 3.73 gears, full Maximum Motorsports suspension treatment, 13" Brembo front brakes, 70mm TB, BBK Long-tube headers and H-pipe, Bassani Cat-back exhaust system, Trans-Go shift-kit and trans cooler.
Tinseltown349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 03:07 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

You can shed the pounds with tubular k-member and control arms, coilover springs, racing seats, fiberglass hood, hollow aluminum sway bars, manual rack. You mostly want to remove weight from the front end as this helps weight transfer on a launch and helps turn-in for cornering.
I believe most of the k-member manufacturers make them for mod-motor cars now, even if alot of the magazine ads don't reflect this yet.
Choice of manufacturer depends on whether you want to build the car for handling or drag racing. Give the fact that you already have Maximum Motorsports parts, I would assume you want handling. I would check out Griggs Racing (the best in my opinion but very expensive), Maximum Motorsports (supposed to release one very soon), or Kenny Brown. Their k-members are not as light as some of the others but are stronger, which is important when you load up the suspension in corners.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote