MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-16-1999, 02:48 PM   #1
Dino
Registered Member

Post mufflers?

Those damn factory mufflers on my 4.6L are just too damn quiet so I figure they have got to go. What size pipe is on a 96 GT? It certainly looks like it has SS tips. I'm not sure which muffler to go with. I want to get something from in town so I don't have to pay shipping costs, etc. If I get them in town I'm trying to decide between Dynomax Super Turbos and Rhino. I was talking to a guy today and he said he thinks I could order Flowmasters thru the muffler shop. So that MAY be an option as well. In your opinion, what sounds best on a 4.6 (Dynomax, Rhino, or Flowmaster) ? Thanks again!
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-1999, 04:46 PM   #2
kg2hk
Registered Member

Get the dynomax. They are not as loud as the Flowmasters are but they offer the same performance. Dynomax has a line that is stainless and is comparatable in cost to the flowmasters. I had a set of them on my 73 and 89 mustangs and loved them. They're on my list of things to do on my 99GT in 2000.

have fun!

------------------
99 Laser Red GT
Mods: 70mm TB, Level 10 Chip, FMS 3.73's, Sean Hyland Speedo Recalibration kit, Pro 5.0 Shifter, & Pro-M 77mm MAF.
DynoJet: 242HP/286 Lb/ft
Best 1/4: 13.839@99.1MPH on radials.
kg2hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-1999, 05:46 PM   #3
97 Aztec
Registered Member

Exclamation

Dynomax SUCK!!! Flowmasters definitely kick their ass. I have ran them both and the Dynomax are quieter than stock! Nothing performs or sounds like a Flowmaster.

------------------
97 Aztec Gold GT w/Steeda heads,intake,TB,
shifter,headers, subframe conn. 3"flowmaster exhaust and
125 hp NOS
97 Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-1999, 08:16 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

I must agree with kg2hk on this one...

Also, If you are going to replace the mufflers, you might as well spend the extra bucks on the cat-back system. The dynomax system doesn't sound much louder than stock, but has a much nicer "throaty" sound, not as loud and disturbing as the flowmasters. (This all depends on your taste actually) and at 2.5 inches, you can open up the rest of the system with just an H/X pipe and headers if/when your hp numbers start reaching around the 300 mark.

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-1999, 07:45 AM   #5
4cammer
Registered Member

I had Super Turbos on my '88 LX with an off-road pipe and shortie headers, and it sounded wicked - like a damn race car. I loved 'em. Everyone in the free world has Flows, so I just wanted something different. On my '96 Cobra, though, I think I'm going with the Borlas. Have you heard them on a 4.6? Their quiet just cruising around, but when you mash the go pedal, anyone in the nearby vicinity will be looking your way! Let us know what you go with and how they sound - I'd be interested as I haven't done the exhaust on my Cobra yet. Thanks.

------------------
'96 Cobra - K&N, Pro-M 77, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3:73s, Cobra "R"s, Steeda control arms, pulleys, springs and caster/camber plates.
4cammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-1999, 10:19 PM   #6
98GTMD
Registered Member

4cammer: what kind of Borlas do you have? I have the XR-1 Sportsman but haven't put them on yet. I'll bet those would be loud with my planned MAC long tubes and Pro-chamber.

------------------
just bought it: 17in wheels, MAC fender cold air
98GTMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-1999, 12:39 AM   #7
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I have 2 chamber flows, and they are loud, but good. However, they do roar @ about 2000 RPMS. They've gotten better since when they were new, but it is still a tad annoying. Do dynomax or others do this? If not, I would think about going with them.

------------------
'97 Cobra, K&N, Flowmaster, subframes, 4.10 gears, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Steeda G-Trac 3, Cobra R wheels w/ Goodyear F1s

My Ride

97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-1999, 03:15 PM   #8
chichaw99
Registered Member

I have had the flowmasters with a Mac off road h-pipe, I don't have to worry about not being heard by anyone. It droans horribly between 2000 & 2500, everyone says the car sounds super, I agree but it is in my opinion just a little bit to loud. I was thinking of switching to an X pipe or a pro-chamber in the hopes that it would be a little bit less on the obnoxious side.

------------------
chichaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-1999, 07:39 PM   #9
Dino
Registered Member

Well I went with the Dynomax Super Turbos. I can't afford the catback so I just got the mufflers. I don't find them very much louder than stock, but then again, I still have the cats on. The car seems to pull harder now. It does have a different tone than stock but I thought they'd be louder. They do seem to have a bit of a drone around 2000. I would say, overall, I'm happy with them.
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: