MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-21-2001, 09:08 AM   #1
Snakebite427
Registered Member

Post 2000 Mustang, New Owner

ARG, my whole post deleted..alright, it was long, I can deal..my new one. Ok. I just purchased a stock 2000 mustang, 6 cyl. I want to beef it up. I would like info on how to go about this, and in what order(if any). On my list of "things to do", I have Dual Exhaust, Performance chip, and ram air..this among body styling. Anything info would help greatly, thanks
Snakebite427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 04:57 PM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

This is what i'd personally do:
1. Rearend gears 3.45, or 3.73 for your 7.5" rearend, maybe even 4.10 if it's an auto.
2. Supercharger (several companies make kits for the 3.8L) and they usually come with a K&N filter. Ram air usually isn't very good because it can suck up road kill, candy wrappers, etc.
3. Dual exhaust (many companies make dual exhaust conversions for the 3.8L) - make sure you get new headers, H-pipe and cat-back if you really want a difference in power.
4. Port your intake manifold. www.extrudehone.com - this is a process of porting that is alot more accurate than hand porting and increases airflow throw the intake.
5. Throttle body and larger injectors - not exactly sure who'd make one for a 3.8L
6. custom burnt chip - a chip will give you the most gain if you have your car dyno tuned with it.

good luck, hope this helped.

------------------
previous name: 84stangLX
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 08:07 PM   #3
Snakebite427
Registered Member

Thanks.

A little more info though please.

What will the difference of the gear size do? My car is a manual. Also I was told by my uncle(who does know quite a bit, but not as much about 3.8L) has said I will need 2 additional parts to go along with the gear change. I need a chip(I think he said) and a computer part for the chip, he said I needed these items so that the Speedo could be set correctly, or it would be off.

What exactly is Dyno testing? I have heard of it, is it just the calculations of HP, torque, etc?

Could I get a ram air kit that would use the fake hood intake? Is there a benefit from have side exhaust? I would assume it would get the dirty air out sooner, would this also increase sound?(I know just putting in Dual will)

Throttle body, and larger injectors, what do these do, and how will it effect perfomance?

Do I need any other parts so that the tweaks do not ruin anything?

Last Q, taking the Supercharger off the list, how much should I look forward to spending, for mid to high grade parts?

Snakebite427 is offline   Reply With Quote