MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-23-2002, 12:17 AM   #1
wickedgt
Registered Member

Question My 01' Gt future mods, need advice.

I am looking to sup up my mustang its a 2001 GT. So far I have an aircharger filter K & N. FLowmasters 40's.

I am looking in lowering my 4 x 4. I'm thinking of getting soem sportline springs from eibach. It says it would lower it 2", which wouldn't be to bad becuase I have a saleen front bumper and a Kaminari Back bumper. I'm also thinking of getting 4.10 gears some ET street's on some 16's of mine. A flip chip from super chip a offroad X-pipe, and a regular NOS kit.

If anyone has an expierience with any brands or parts please tell me. If you have any advice on these add ons please tlel me. If you have had any misfotunes with any of these parts PLEASE TELL ME.

Thank you all.
wickedgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 12:18 AM   #2
wickedgt
Registered Member

Default Recommendations

Espeacilly if you have any recommendations PLEASE TELL ME.
wickedgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 03:21 PM   #3
iamthecheeseman
Registered Member

You have to narrow down what your looking for and how much you wanna pay. I personally am not a big fan of nos because its hard on the engine and its not constant power. I'd go for a supercharger if I were you. Maybe procharger?
iamthecheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 04:59 PM   #4
01silverstreak

I have a superchip but mine was a custom burn b/c i had the gears (3.73) done at the same time. The custom burn that i had done will require the use of 93+ octane. For the money i really feel the torque and the time slip shows dropped .45 off of et with the gears and chip. If you want to contact the about the chip www.teamjdm.com read the article under news and events "new 2001 mustang GT finds home at JDM"
These guys are great to deal with and really now what they are doing. Their just breaking into the racing deal so their prices arent that bad. Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:35 PM   #5
GITY UUP
Registered Member

Default reply to wicked GT

I own a 2000 GT with Eibach springs and they do lower the car by I would say maybe 1.5 inches?? In my opinion the 17" factory wheels looked narrow after I lowered it, so I put 18 by 9 inch Cobra R rims on it with Michelins. The Michelins are definately the best unidirectional tire on the market today BTW. Also, I didn't put the caster/camber plates on when I installed my springs although it was recommended and I've put 8000 miles on my Stang since then and the tires are wearing just fine and the car drives and handles great. You'll also have to have the car realigned at a shop if you install the springs yourself, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. The roads in my area (northern VA) are in great shape with hardly any potholes, but I really wouldn't recommend lowering a Mustang if you live in an area where the roads are in bad condition because clearance is definately an issue once you install these springs. I've scraped my catalytic converters a few times going over speed bups in parking lots too quickly, just a caveat for you. I was told that the 99 and up GTs are designed from the factory to look like 4 X 4s for this clearance reason. You also will have a difficult time getting certain repair shops to get you car onto their lifts which was an issue when I took my car in for inspection last year.

Now the gears, I installed 3:73 Precision Gears, my car is an automatic. I definately wouldn't recommend going to a 4:10 gear just based on the fact that you'll be pulling over 3000 RPMs at 60 MPH. If you do alot of highway driving 4:10s are way too much gear. I was told that if you ave a 5 speed go with 3:55 gears and go with 3:73 gears with an automatic. My speedometer is now off by around 10 MPH so when I'm doing 60 my speedo reads 70, I haven't installed the new speedo gear yet, but I plan to. I also would recommend Ford Racing gears, my Precision gears are noisy they whine at both high and low speeds and I heard the the Ford Racing gears are much less noisy. The 3:73 really woke my car up!!!

Exhaust I installed MAC high flow cats and mufflers and I think it's the best sounding exhaust system for the GT on the market today.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GITY UUP; 04-23-2002 at 08:46 PM..
GITY UUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 08:42 PM   #6
GITY UUP
Registered Member

Default Re: My 01' Gt future mods, need advice.

PS I wouldn't run nitrous, you'll be filling the bottle up twice on the weekends if you cruise around looking for f bodies and Corvettes to race and at around 30 to 40 bucks a pop, that's alot of money. I recommend a supercharger. I'm waiting for my Ford warranty to expire in a year (next summer) and I plan on installing a Kenny Belle supercharger with an 8 pound pulley and 30 lb injectors. With the mods I have already done MAC exhaust, 3:73 gears, B&M shift kit for my automatic the car should generate a healthy 380 to 400 gross horsepower.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:52 PM   #7
BSchacht6
Registered Member

Hey Gity uup-

Where did you get the B & M shift kit for your Mustang? Does that do the same thing that a new chip would do for an automatic? Also how much did it cost?
Old 04-23-2002, 09:04 PM   #8
GITY UUP
Registered Member

Default Cost of the B&M kit

It was around $90 plus installation. It's the only mod on my car I couldn't perform myself. I bought it from a company in Sterling VA called Autosport Performance. Their phone # is (703)450-2323 (sorry no 800 number). I can now "get rubber" from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:10 PM   #9
GITY UUP
Registered Member

Default By the way BSchacht6

I haven't looked into performance chips so I don't know if it's the same thing as the shift kit. As I mentioned in my post above I plan on supercharging my 2000 GT next year and have to send the chip back Kenny Belle to get it reburned after I instll the SC so I figured why waste the money of buying a new chip at this point in time. I was told that the kit beefs up the valve bodies in the tranny, changes the shift points and it does definately give me a harder shift now.