MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-25-2003, 11:00 PM   #1
95sho
Registered Member

Default Buying a '02 GT, need advice...

I'm currently looking for a manual '02 GT with <10k miles on it...

I was just wondering if anyone could offer some advice on what to look out for?

A car thats this new isn't really going to show signs of abuse, other than maybe tire tread? What else should I be looking at?

Any advice anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ross
95sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:29 AM   #2
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Well here's a couple of tips...(join in if you have better ones)

Check the following:

1.) The oil pan for added tapped holes (oil lines for supercharger)
2.) While looking down the side of the vehicle, look for signs of mis-alignment of doors, hood, rear quarters.
3.) Pop the hood and look between the A pillar (windshield frame) and fenders, between fenders and inner fender walls...for any primer or overspray of paint that may not match. Look also under the bumper for any signs of new weld spots near the crush zones, also look for primer and paint. When you pop the trunk, again look for any weld or primer spots that look out of place. Also check under mouldings,look for suspicious primer/paint and mis-alignments. Check door jambs also...
4.) Look over the subframe and K member, check for any primer/paint and undercoating.
5.) Check the styrofoam inserts in rear/front bumpers, sometimes they may be crushed and not replaced.
6.) If you can, grab a flashlight during low light and shine it on the paint of the car near end points (where the hood and fender meet...etc...). Shine the light at an angle (oblique lighting) and look for differences in the pigment of the clearcoat/paint. This is one thing that body shops cannot match always.(ex: Rio Red uses a factory tinted clear coat, a body shop may not use a tinted clear coat).
7.) Request to start the car while it's cold, check for knocks.
8.) Finally, drive the car for at least 20-30 minutes and feel how the steering, brakes, and transmission feel to you.

Any of these "defects" could indicate prior damage.

These are only a COUPLE of suggestion, remember that CARFAX will not always tell you everything a car has been through.

I will tell you that alot of dealers are buying re-furbed cars no matter how old they are, body shops are doing a good job of covering old damage...

Good luck and my method is not gospel...
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 03:25 PM   #3
93GTDIN
Registered Member

also check the rear shocks. If they are considerably more worn than the front ones, the person raged on the car often, especailly if its 2 years old.

The way to check for worn shocks is oil around them and on them.