MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-31-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
Blackstare
Registered Member

Default My intake manifold broke :(

Hi there! This is my second thread in this forum... I have a problem... Mi intake manifold cracked And the coolant leaks from it... Just behind the alternator where the coolant passage is... I patched it with high temp silicone and some poxipol (I'm from guatemala i dunno if you know poxipol or how its called in other countries) But I dont want a patched up manifold... So I am wondering in the intake manifold from the 4.6 crown victoria fits my engine... My uncle lives in California and I have seen a lot of police cars in the junkyards ( Crownn victoria ) I noticed tha its the same engine... So he could send me the manifold here to Guatemala... Someone knows if this intake manifold makes a perfect fit in my 4.6 mustang GT year 1996??? I really need help!
Old 03-31-2005, 06:55 AM   #2
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Default Re: My intake manifold broke :(

Be careful of the patch fix, the intake is destined to crack further. It is no fun travelling at 60 plus MPH and having the intake go POOF!! and having a large amount of steam cloud your vision with anti-freeze covering your window. The Crown Vic intake will fit your 96 as long as it is the 96-98 Romeo production engine. You would be better off replacing it with 98' intake which some have the aluminum coolant crossover. Just be aware that Crown Vics had the same problem...
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Get a new intake manifold. Youcan get it from Ford or from some Mustang aftermarket dealers now. A used one will only break again, either in the same place or at the thermostat housing. A new one is about $250 (roughly), but it is a big job to replace it, it would be a shame to waste half a day putting a used one on only to have it break the next month and you have to do it again.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:19 AM   #4
Blackstare
Registered Member

Ok... I got a new manifold with the new aluminium coolant passage... Thanx to all who helped me
Old 04-01-2005, 12:21 AM   #5
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

That should last. My replacement on my 97 was the all plastic one, so I just know I will have to do it again some day. The replacement on my 98 had the aluminum passage.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:50 AM   #6
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Actually replacing the manifold is pretty simple but tedious. Make sure you use the correct tightening sequence and bolts should be torqued @18 lb-ft. If you need a sequence diagram, I can email it to you...

Cliff
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote