MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-10-2002, 01:26 PM   #1
GITY UUP
Registered Member

Default Need estimates or advice

Unfortunately I was in an accident yesterday in my 2000 GT. I'm fine and wasn't hurt, however, the person that hit me hit my rear drivers side quarter panel and lower bumper and bent my axle. She made a left hand turn right into my car and I was going straight through the intersection. I jumped the curb and spun around twice on grass before I was able to get straight and back onto the road. Does anyone on this board know if I would have frame damage from this accident? She also totalled the rim on the rear driver's side, bent the axle as I already mentioned and I scratched both rims on the passenger side from going up or coming down the curb it all happened so fast I don't remember. Also, would anyone have an idea as to the dollar amount of the damage and if so at what point does the insurance company total the car? If I do have frame damage, what will the car drive like when I get it back? I was ready to smack this lady when I got out of the car and to top it all off she wasn't even ticketed for failure to yield the right of way. I've already asked my insurance company to get OEM Ford replacement parts, but I don't know if the car will be the same once I get it back. I'm really PO'd and any advice or help as to price or post collision issues with the way the car will drive if I get it back would be greatly appreciated from you guys.

Signed,

A totally upset GITY UUP
Old 06-10-2002, 05:03 PM   #2
Torinalth
Registered Member

you are looking at over 8k of damage. axel, wheels, panels, paint, frame (there WILL be frame damage if the axel bent), any inserts in the ford, bumper, and interior pieces that were damaged. with labor, materials, and the like it will scale passed 8k, unless it is a lot less than I am imagining it being, a pic would help.

Torinalth
Old 06-10-2002, 08:11 PM   #3
GITY UUP
Registered Member

Default Thanks for the input Torinalth

Thanks for the input. People I've been talking to today have also said about $8 to 10K which makes me nervous as this amount puts it into the "total" range from the insurance companys standpoint. The car was towed to the bodyshop late this afternoon from the towing company. The owner of the bodyshop said he would call me tomorrow or Wednesday after one of his workers took the car apart to assess the internal damage with the estimate. And yes, the damage is as bad as you imagine. I'll see if I can't get some photos of the car later on this week to put on this site
Old 06-10-2002, 09:24 PM   #4
Torinalth
Registered Member

at this point you WANT them to total it. if they patch it together it is going to have problems. a squeek here, brake problems there, control arms breaking.... vibration at 85 MPH etc. too much stuff goes wrong after that large of a repair job.

Torinalth
Old 06-10-2002, 09:37 PM   #5
gilmoujr
Registered Member

I completely agree! I had a 2001 GT Prem that had a student rearend it and did $13k (maxed out by the body shop). At a value of $22.5k it may have been difficult to total the car (which I requested - rather required). Luck has it that the body shop owner is a race fan that hated to see my pony crippled the way she was. Another benefit to me was that the insurance rep was in the market for a pony not too unlike mine (outside the damage). After all was said and done - the car was paid off and I made $750 (Ford A-Plan with 0% financing helped that along). Although I was inconvenienced a bit. I came out okay. I hope that you get the treatment that you (and your car deserve). Good luck!
gilmoujr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 11:16 AM   #6
GITY UUP
Registered Member

Default Thanks for all of your help guys

Yes, hopefully it will be totalled from the numerous buddies I've talked to in the Northern VA Mustang Club that I belong to and from what you guys said on this board. I'm going to the bodyshop to get some photos of the car tommorrow (Wednesday), so I'll probably post them on Thursday or Friday. I'm now waiting for the phone call from the bodyshop today with the estimate. I just think of all of the labor that I've put into this car and it makes me sick to think that the car might be a write off. I don't think I can ever get back the money that I've sunk into the car. I've looked on Edmunds and they give me anywhere between around $18.6K trade in and $23k dealer retail for a fully loaded vert with 17k miles on it.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:46 PM   #7
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Same thing happened to me. I had a '96 V6 and lost control and jumped a curb then jumped a ditch... the frame and the axle got bent... They kept the car for 8 weeks before finally totalling it. Each week the expected cost to repair got higher and higher... I think that at a point the insurance company would rather total it, take possession of the car and sell it out of state to recover some of their losses. My car didn't look that bad but they totalled it instead of fixing it.

The insurance company barely paid off the car.

The upside was that the car pay off made my credit look really good and I bought a new GT 'vert afterwards...
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 07:12 PM   #8
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I doubt they will total it. You'll need about 70% of book value. If it's a $17k car, you'll be looking at about $12k to total it.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 08:48 PM   #9
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up Lucky so far

I am in the south part of Dallas,and there is some crazy driving around here,I am serious about this question is it price to fix it that totals it or is it chassis structure damage that says if it is total? This subject has always been a dark side of the automotive world with me,and I am curious also,sorry to hear about your bad luck that sucks when someone runs into you,and you were minding your own business

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 02:09 PM   #10
Ramin
Registered Member

Man I feel for u. If I were u I would fight all the way for a new car.Tell them that these cars are not unibody and that they have two seperate peaces under the car that is why u need subframes.Right from the beginig u should ask for a new car.Dont ask for Ford parts because that should be done with out even asking for it.Demand a new car and even say something like u will take them to small claim court if u dont get a new one.I really wish u the best of luck.
Ramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:28 PM   #11
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

It's not necessarily true that it would never drive the same, but it takes a good shop to fix a car with frame damage the right way and my experience tells me that a good shop is hard to find and it is impossible to tell ahead of time unless you have dealt with them before or know someone who is knowledgable of the business. I wrecked my '00 when it was fairly new to the tune of $13K - bent the K-member, killed all the front suspension, and the frame. It drives perfectly well now - no vibrations, alignment problems, or uneven tire wear. BUT I had to have it fixed TWICE to get it where it is now. The first shop that 'fixed' it had it for 7 months and after I got it back I could see that the wheelbase wasn't even the same on both sides and the frame was still bent. I uncovered some fraud that the first shop committed (re-used damaged parts that were on the repair estimate and even had receipts to show purchese, except for the fact that they returned the parts after buying them!). After threatening the first shop I was able to get it fixed at another shop that a good friend of mine recommended, and the car is flawless now.
I don't know if all insurance companies are the same, but for mine the damage has to be over 2/3 of the cars value for it to be totalled, so yours probably isn't.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 07:06 PM   #12
GITY UUP
Registered Member

Default update

Went to see the car Saturday, it turns out that my drivers side rear axle took most of the damage. The whole rear end has to come out of the car they also couldn't remove the rubber bushings (one inch circular black bushings) at the top of each axle from the old rear end so they had to order those new bushings also. I saw the new Ford rear end that the bodyshop ordered and it was manufactured in April from the tag that was on it. They are taking the rear end to Autosport in Sterling VA this week where my car will get new 31 spline Strange axle shafts, the cradles for the axles and a new rotor and caliper for the rear drivers side they dont know if the gears are damaged but the differential was bent. The car took no frame damage although they did put the car on the frame machine for 3 hours to pull the rear fender and it looks surprisingly good. BUT, I'm still skeptical that there was no frame damage???? Does anyone have an opinion on this????? They are also putting a new rear bumper cover on it. It also turns out that I cracked my rear decklid when I was hit so they had to order a new rear decklid from Ford. I was going to take pictures but the car was already painted the rear fender at least. The bodyshop is still waiting on the deck lid and the bumper cover from Ford. The estimate as it stands now is $7,500 and the other persons insurance (Kemper) is covering everything although I basically had to throw a fit to get new parts on the car. They also have to replace 3 rims and my rear driver side tire. I hope the car is normal when I get it back. I should have it back by the end of next week. Thanks for all of your input and support guys, this board is just super as far as advice is concerned and I appreciate it.

Gary
Old 06-17-2002, 07:39 PM   #13
Ramin
Registered Member

Another reason I say to ask for a new car is even if they fix it as good as new when u want to sell the car usually peoples first or second question is "has the car been in an accident?"
Old 06-17-2002, 08:03 PM   #14
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up Good To Go

Hope you well in getting your car fixed or replaced whatever avenue you decide to take.

If you stay with what you have,this style is caveman big time but if you want to test the track of your car,drive through a puddle of water and observe the tire tracks,if you see 4 sets take it back,if you only see 2 sets you should be fine.

Hope it works out for you.

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 09:32 PM   #15
Ramin
Registered Member

Did u get hurt? At least r u suing the *****?