MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-10-2007, 12:51 AM   #1
98mustangcobra
Registered Member

Exclamation Need Help Choosing Cams

Hello I have a 1998 Mustang cobra and i am doing work to it and have been looking into cams. I was wondering if anybody could help me out as to what Brand of Cams to get?

Other Things i may have to get if i get new cams and if so what??

Is it worth the money to get cams?

How much average does it cost to get cams with everything needed?

Thanks for your time and have a great day.

Also would i have to do anything to the rear end? Thanks
98mustangcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Default Re: Need Help Choosing Cams

Cams, again, will depend on your eventual goals. I'm doing a 97 Cobra right now that will stay N/A. The owner has selected the Comp Cams XE262 cams...these are pretty mild. Comp has other cams that are more aggressive. VT is making some pretty good cams too. Sean Hylands are re-grinds (for the most part). I've used these with good success although if you're looking to have them dialed in they can be a little troublesome (inexact).

Depending on the cams selected you may have to do a spring swap too. Choose springs carefully for the lift/duration and rpm that you want to spin. Some springs require additional machining to the heads as well as new retainers & locks, so talk with your engine shop before buying anything. The Comp Cams beehive springs are pretty popular with the mod motors.

Cams for the 4V motors are going to run $1000 or more. There's a shop that sells on Ebay frequently and has 4V cams for $998 shipped. Its a good deal.

Gears are always a good investment, especially if you plan on staying N/A. Something in the range of 3.73 to 4.10 will get the engine rpm up in its happy band.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: