MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-05-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Need Help: New Brakes, New Rotors, New Clutch

Ok heres the deal. I'm 100% done with the body of what used to be a 2001 Mustang GT. The car's body is now that of a 2003 SVT Cobra, completely repainted (again) and now I'm starting the inside. I just put in an SVT guage cluster from a wrecked Cobra (its funny to look at a car with 95,000 Miles and see 27,000 on the odometer). After I buy the leather and suede seats (3 more months of overtime) I'm done with the cosmetic aspect and will go for that Cobra Engine (minus the Eaton Supercharger) from Ford Racing. Obviously along with that comes the T-56 Transmission..Now I need a little tech help.
The rotors are rusted, I wanted to put 13" stainless steel rotors on anyway...Can I do that or should I go for the stock GT size for 2001, and can someone give me a quick 1-2 on replacing the rotors.
Next, I have new brake pads and calipers, again, I've never done brakes before...any help?...
Finally, I have an engine crane for the motor and I know how to install that, but how do I replace the clutch and install the new tranny without a lift?...Jack stands make me nervous, I don't wanna die in the garage. Also, where in this car is the starter, it seems to be in a different location than on my 1996 GT. If anyone wants a picture if what I have so far I'll be happy to post a few. I think a few good answers to THIS thread will help a lot of owners...
Old 03-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Default Re: Need Help: New Brakes, New Rotors, New Clutch

Sorry, but the starter is in the same exact location as it is in your 2001GT, right side of the motor/bellhousing down by the oil pan.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Thanks for the help
Old 03-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
P.C.
SIT DOWN SHUT UP AND HOLD ON!

My 03 has the best brakes i ever had in a car. factory.I would use ford pads nothing else. And new rotors also.Nothing fancy. Jack stands work fine on a good concrete suface.Iwouldnt use them in dirt.Leave the brake job up to a qualified tech.Brakes are not something to play with if your not up to it.U could kill yourself or someone else!
P.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Good point. I'm just trying to stay clear of labor charges.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

OK, if you're going to spend the money to do this "Cobra clone" right. Let's get serious. First off: The Cobra brakes are Brembo 13" rotors with dual piston calipers. Not unlike what the stock GT has, only bigger. Second: I would suggest going with a set of Hawk Green pads. You will be amazed at how well the grab over stock.

Keep this little phrase in mind anytime you work on your car: "If a little is good, More is better, and Too much is just enough." It'll save you every time.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Ok. Now thats rear 13" rotors only, right?...They have them cross-drilled and rust proof or should I go with something direct from Ford..I've heard cross-drilled rotors are great for handling and preventing warping of the rotors...(Not that I beat on the car like that)...
Old 03-16-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001GTPEWTER
Ok. Now thats rear 13" rotors only, right?...They have them cross-drilled and rust proof or should I go with something direct from Ford..I've heard cross-drilled rotors are great for handling and preventing warping of the rotors...(Not that I beat on the car like that)...

13" Rotors in the front. The rear rotors are 11.5" or so.....I think. Cross drilled rotors are a bit iffy on the street. You'll never really build the kind of heat that would warrent having them. Cryo dip the new rotors and you should be good on the anti-warpage factor.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #9
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

This'll work without the Independant Rear Suspension, right?..Thats' the only defining part of the 03 Cobra I wanted to leave out..only because I don't want to have to learn to drive the car all over again..plus I don't race cars. And, I obviously have to disconnect the brake line when I take the rotors off as well as getting new calipers and pads for the rotor upgrade...Anything I left out?...This stuff, besides the engine/transmission swap will be the only mechanical part of converting the car.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

No need to worry about the IRS. All of it is the same.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #11
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Retailers and especially third-party parts dealers I think you ask them a question and they give you some half-labored "I could'nt give a s***" answer. I know you can give a 2001 GT a 13" and 11.65" rotor upgrade, but if I can't use the ones made for the 2003 Cobras' what CAN I use?? I asked someone if I could do the upgrade and they went "duuuuhhhh uuummmm you can't bucuz you neeed nu breaks duhhhh". So what? I can just get the appropriate calipers, pads and brake lines...right? Has anyone else done this upgrade?
Old 03-29-2006, 02:23 AM   #12
1989GT
Registered Member

For the front, cobra calipers and rotors with be a direct swap, for the back you need a new caliper mounting bracket, rotors and pads. The back uses the same caliper just thinner pads.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:59 AM   #13
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Ok thanks, thats the help I was looking for. I can use stainless steel brake lines with that set up, right?? What I did after I put the body together was put 2" aluminum piping (from an aftermarket air intake kit) behind the front bumper and thru the rear fender well covers to help cool the brakes..I heard steel brake lines were much better for reliability and durability.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: