MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-01-2003, 11:59 PM   #1
GerryGT
Registered Member

Default Need Help Please

I was thinking of installing an off road x-pipe and long tubes on my 2000GT. I was going to go with BBK for both but heard some bad things about it.

Can anyone recommend what I should go with and aroung how much it would cost to install.

Thanks for the help
GerryGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 06:54 PM   #2
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

if your car is stock or near stock long tubes will do you little good for you. the off road pipe is alright but highway driving is realy loud and the mil may come on. go with a bassani x pipe with high flow cats and a flowmaster exhaust system as for the headers any shorties would be good frpp would seem to be the best bet.i`m not quite sure if they make them for your year though hope this helps some
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/

Last edited by Badass_yellowGT; 04-02-2003 at 07:10 PM..
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:32 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Since when do longtubes do very little on a near stock mod motor? I have BBK longtubes and catted h-pipe on my 2000 GT with very little else and I can hang dead even with my buddy's '99 Cobra until over 100mph. Shorties will get you nothing - maybe 2-3 hp at most and are not even worth the time they take to install. If you decided to get shorties you might as well leave the stock exhaust manifolds on and just get a new mid-pipe.
As far as BBK goes, I am not happy at all with the fit of my longtubes and I am looking at other brands to replace them. At around 2K rpm at certain throttle levels the passenger side header taps the frame. The matching BBK h-pipe also mates up to the header collectors like crap and I had a hard time bolting it up without an exhaust leak there. I'd stay away from MAC longtubes also. Hooker also makes longtubes for the mod cars but I have had no experience with them. Bassani just released a 'mid-length' header that looks interesting.
As for install cost I did it myself and it took me over 10 hours; not sure what a shop would quote you for labor.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 12:54 AM   #4
GerryGT
Registered Member

Thanks for some of the info. Just have one question...I don't understand the difference between long and short tubes.

If I get long tube headers do I need to get a shortie x pipe? How does it work and should I get the same brand x and tubes?

I appreciate any help.

Gerrygt

P.S. - Current mods to my car are:
3.73 gears
pulleys
75mm throttle body
K & N Filtercharger Kit
Hays Clutch
3 Chamber Flowmaster - no cats
Pro 5.0 Sifter
GerryGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 01:10 AM   #5
jj_jonathon
Trisket

with long tubes you have a shorter midpipe (hence long tubes) and it doesnt matter if you mix brands really...usually the more you mix, the more unique your exhaust sound will be...

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #6
SkammyManX
Registered Member

Lemme just clarify what you just said..

I could get long tubes and get ANY x-pipe and I could get short tubes and get ANY x-pipe? If that's the case

Which is more optimal?!!?

lemme ask you this:

If you get shortie headers, bassani x-pipe and whatever cat-back

does it hang lower, shorter, how does it sit on the mustang compared to long tubes?
SkammyManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 11:33 AM   #7
jj_jonathon
Trisket

yes you can mix and match any header with any xpipe as far as i know....and many people argue this brand over that brand for optimal performance...just go with a brand you trust like BBK, Bassani, etc...not some crapy no-name....

long tubes are the ones that take up more room..the way the header is designed itll sit lower and if you have a lowered car, youll probably scrape them on speed bumps....long tubes are also a HUGE headache to install....

shorties on the other hand are easy to install and preferred by people because of that....you wont see the hp increase from shorties that you will from longtubes, but you lose that aggrevasion of installation....they sit like stock headers do, so there is no clearance issue....

just to clarify, long tubes dont hang lower, theyre just bigger, so theyll come down further....

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 12:39 PM   #8
SkammyManX
Registered Member

Hmmmm....I'll look into that, I also have the facility of a Ford Certified dealership with all the gadgets and parts, so I could pay some tech. to do it as a favor....so I dunno, but if you say the only advantage to shorties is easy to install, than I might go with Long tubes...thanks man

Sam
SkammyManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 04:05 PM   #9
V8Mustang
Registered Member

I agree w/ 00GT on the power benefits of long tubes. Typical gains are 15+ hp and 20+ ft/lb tq with nice smooth increases across the board. Long tubes do take more time to instal but, from a performance standpoint, you will not be dissapointed.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:33 PM   #10
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Longtubes actually do hang lower - the header brings 4 pipes all the way under the front of the floorpan. I have only about 3.5" of clearance under the collector flanges with my car lowered about 2" up front.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote