MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-19-2001, 12:10 PM   #1
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Post Need opinions...NA or Blower?

Looking for opinions here. I'm at a fork in the road and need to make a decision here.
On one hand I have the NA route. Step up to headers, cams, porting, intake, etc.. to go for the mid 12 second or more.
Pros: Less power means less broken parts, Cheaper, More consistant, Next year I can look forward defending my Mod Motor Shootout victory.
Cons: Less power means slower than with a power adder car, not fast enough.

On the other hand there's a Blower. My options here are either a Novi 2000 or S-trim. If I go this route I plan on buying forged internals because I don't believe in going easy on a car and would like to be in the 400RWHP range. Also yes I realize that a transmission upgrade will have to be considered as well just to be track legal as well as durability wise.
Pros: More power, Pull both wheels off the ground, More fun to drive, Wonderful sound of a blower under the hood, the beauty of holding my own 10 second time slip (eventually).
Cons: More power equals more broken parts, More money, Less consistant, Next year I can look forward to getting pushed around by the PA 2V guys.

A goal of mine when I bought this car was to run 12's NA now that I've done that I need to look forward. One thing I don't want to do is go NA for another year then go power adder because I plan on doing things that would counter productive. So I need to make a decision in the next few months and start buying parts towards that goal. Anyone have any insight into this? Remember I'm a drag racer and love the track.

------------------
00 GT, MAC Offroad H, Steeda Pulleys & Timing Adjuster, 4.10’s, Flows w/turndowns, UPR shifter, UPR Pro Series LCA’s, Lakewood 70/30’s & 50/50’s, Weld Pro Stars, Kaenen Cobra R Hood, 253.8 RWHP/292.8RWTQ
12.91@101.93 (1.74 60ft)
M/M 100, 7085
Recent Pic from Moroso
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 08:31 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I'm sort of in the same situation. One thing I figured is by the time I pull my engine, pull it apart, put it back together with stronger rods and pistons, put it back in the car, I might as well sell my motor and tranny and buy a SHM crate motor with forged rods, pistons, stage 1 cams, and a ported intake, along with either a C4 or a Tremec 6 speed...

Its a hard choice. On one hand there aren't too many NA fast modular cars out there, so it would cool to be one of the fastest. On the other hand there aren't too many fast NA modular cars out there, so it would suck to be the one to pave the way with your wallet.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 10:02 PM   #3
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

If I were you, and if I had the cash, Id forge the internals, and just run like 12lbs boost. Id upgrade the tranny, and just get as many passes with the blower in as I could. I love the sound, the power, and the respect that a blown car gets. NA is cool, but it'll get really costly, and you'll get nowhere near the power (or the fun).

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Pulleys, mufflers, K&N
Steeda springs, subs, strut tower, CC plates
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 06:58 AM   #4
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Actually in the way of NA 2V cars there are a handful in the 12's. I can think of at least 6 others.

From what I'm hearing on other boards and advice from friends is to stick NA for a little while longer. Only because I'm a hard core drag racer and I don't go easy on my car. With a blower on it I think I'll have more downtime fixing than I will enjoying it at the track. I'm still up in the air but I think I'm going to move forward NA for now and if I run across a sweet deal on a blower in the meantime I'll pick it up.

Meanwhile my new goal will have to be 12.40's all motor!
Old 06-20-2001, 08:34 AM   #5
bark3rd
Registered Member

Is there a reason you are not considering Nitrous? I am, and would like to hear any cons you have come up with. Also, to me your 1/4 time is awesome for the mods you have (12.91!). I haven't run my car at the track yet with the Steeda mods, but with the 4:10's the only mod I ran 14.3 @ 97 mph. Based on your mods I bet you are able to launch much better than me. Which mod do you think I should do next? Also, where did you set your timing? I have mine at 13deg.

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's,flowmasters Steeda pulleys, timing adjuster, K&N filter
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 10:45 AM   #6
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Traction! That's what you need, 4.10's and street tires at the track are a bad combination you need DR's at the very least. For the timing adjuster keep it at 14* that's what has worked best on and off the dyno for me. I'd say go with an Offroad H pipe you'll pick up another 10RWHP or so then work on traction.

For my application nitrous is a waste and by this I mean the 99 and new returnless fuel system cars. Otherwise it would already be in the car. Nobody has a true kit out for our cars unless you count the couple of wet kits made to work on our cars by half a$$ed companies. Fact is our cars have long runner intakes that are made to flow air not fuel, you put fuel in the intake and eventually it will puddle then...BOOM.

Some of these places claim to have better flowing jets so fuel won't puddle I'm not about to take thier word on it and risk my motor. Same goes for the JMS kit, it's a dry kit with a single nozzle in front of the MAM. I don't trust our funky EEC to compensation 100% of the time and in all conditions. With nitrous it only takes 1 time for it to screw up and your picking up parts.

I ran nitrous in my 92 for four years without any problems. It had a 190 shot on a stock bottom end and put 70K miles on it with the nitrous but it was also a dry kit and eventually a wet kit after I changed to a carborator. This is another reason why I was looking at blowers because I've already done nitrous and want to try something else.

Sorry for the long response...