MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-20-2002, 10:30 PM   #1
Bad_intentions
Registered Member

Unhappy Need some help....

Hey guys,
I need some help, although I risk a baised opinion, I will to take it. I have a few questions so please bare with me

Just how realiable is the Mustang? Base or GT?

What does GT exaclty stand for?

What exhaust sounds the best on a v6 or v8?

Why should I buy a Mustang, other than looks and power?

I might need to print this so please all help is apprciated!!!

Thanks guys!

If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, then is the road to heaven paved with bad ones?
Bad_intentions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 01:46 AM   #2
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Reliable? The GT is incredibly reliable. It is "over" built. There is not one day my 2000GT did not hit the rev limiter, or go sideways of a corner at full throttle. Only had one warranty issue with it; a rad hose blew (for no obvious reason), and they had it replaced in about one hour. At 40000miles I turned the keys of my 2000 to the dealer to get into a 2002 GT with more options.

The letters GT? No idea.

Exaust on V6 no idea, I wouldn't bother. Even with no exaust done on the V8 they sound great! One of my buddies with his GT has a prochamber with Flowmaster 40 mufflers ... the sound is truly incredible!!

Why buy a mustang? There is no better performance car for your dollar. It handles incredibly well, brakes insanly fast (faster than ITRs), and accelerates like a bat out of hell. The Mach460 sound is inpecable for a stock system... go try one.

Don't get a base model. Don't get a base model. Another friend used to have a 6 and regretted not bitting the bullit. This is hardly a rational decision. You don't NEED the power of the V8, but it is silly not to get it!

NEW CAR! - 2002 GT TrueBlue - Best Stock ET - 13.77

Old Lizard - 2000GT Electric Green - Best ET STOCK: 13.662 @ 100.2MPH
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 02:33 AM   #3
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

I think GT stands for Grand Touring.

I LOVE my GT. Get one, you won't regret it! Havent had a major problem with it in a year and a half, and I drive the living **** out of it!

Just be warned: these cars will eat all your money, so be careful!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 03:21 AM   #4
1BadCobra
Registered Member

Mustangs are probably the most reliable American sports car on the road today! I have owned 4 mustangs (91, 93 GT and 93 and 97 Cobra) and none of them have EVER left me stranded. My first 2 mustangs I put about 200K miles on them (some of the miles were hard....racing....Nitrous). As for the 4.6 mustang, I have only about 40k on it, but it seems to be tough as well.

Exhaust: I like both Flowmasters and Dynomax. Dynomax tend to make a little more HP since they flow better. Both sound good. If you want the exaust to sound better, put an X-Piple on it.

And by the way, don't bother with a 6 banger if you have the money to buy a V8. You will want the v8. No one will want to see the post titled "How do I put a real engine in my Mustang". The price differance is not that much.
1BadCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 12:07 PM   #5
lowerswill
Registered Member

I just bought my first mustang a few months ago but that was after being around them for years. It took me so long to buy one because I knew what I wut couldn't find it.

I think that the stang is very reliable -- except in the snow unless you change to snow tires but even then you can only be on pretty clear roads but what do you expect from such a powerhouse. I have a buddy that has a '66 stang an the only reason it is not on the road at the moment is he hydroplaned into a guard rail..

If you are looking for a good sound that is not to loud the flowmasters are great. i wouldn't even bother putting the money into a 6.

Why buy??? well they are fun to drive, reguardless if you mod it or not. But they are a lot funner to drive once you start modding it. They are also very distict in their looks. Most of the other muscle cars have similar charactoristics (i think I mispelled that).

Over all.. If you want a fun car to drive a mustang is great in all aspects...
Underdrive Pullies, some chip
17" GT rims
lowerswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 12:53 PM   #6
SteveK
Registered Member

I'd like to address - Why buy a Mustang other than looks and power.
Actually, to general public, looks is the No. 1 reason to buy a car. Any marketing survey will tell you that.
Power is a matter of addiction. Once you drive V-8, well the imports don't fare well. Just not fun.

But other than that the reasons would be 1) easier to work on than imports, 2) take abuse well, 3) parts are cheaper, 4) almost all mechanics know how to work on it and 5) people dig it.
I had 4 imports before, all the bolts and nuts break as you torque them. I race my car every year, nothing broke. Parts....I buy rotors from PepBoys @ $30 each. And when I drive into shops, all the guys love the way the car sounds and want to look at it.

One bad thing, bad gas mileage compare to Honda Civic, but then again if you want high gas mileage cars, you don't deserve sports cars.

Comparatively speaking, I also own a 95 Vette that will blow the doors off of my Mustang (read modified). BUT I like my Mustang just as much. And I will race the Mustang because it would be cheaper to fix if it broke.

Sorry about the long post.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 01:02 PM   #7
Bad_intentions
Registered Member

Thanks a lot you guys, really appreciate it!!!

If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, then is the road to heaven paved with bad ones?
Bad_intentions is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: