MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 11:54 AM   #1
Phly6
Registered Member

Angry Top Speed

Top speed only 115?!?!?! I just bought the car about 2 weeks ago. Theres only 5 or 6 hundred miles on the car and as every 17 year old kid should do when he gets a new car, i was seeing what it could do. I was on the local highway at night and decided to hit it to see how fast i could get going before i got to my exit. i downshifted to 4th, till i got going about 100, then shifted back into 5th and watched my needle move a notch or 2 before hitting 115. I had my foot to the floor but the tac wasnt moving past 3. Actually it did jump up a hair but then went back down. It was like i had cruise control on or something. Im guessing this is some kind of restriction comming from my computer. Would a new chip fix this? Thanks
Old 10-05-2003, 03:03 PM   #2
The Deuce
Registered Member

find a deserted road and drive yourself into a tree.

It will save us all the wait, because you SHOULDN"T be doing that, especially at your age.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
Old 10-05-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
surfbeast
Registered Member

Maybe your parents did the right thing and had the dealer put a speed limiter in the car. It was obviously set WAY to high!
Old 10-05-2003, 04:26 PM   #4
acidskie
Registered Member

LOL let up on the guy... geez

I don't there there is a sole here to can say they never put the petal down on a car they had when they were young.

"Let he who is with sin cast the first stone."

BTW I am very interested in knowing about the answer as to the question as well.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:31 PM   #5
Phly6
Registered Member

Gee thanks for all the HELP. Does anyone actually know enough about it to give advice or is everyone out there just reading these cause they're bored? (excuding acidskie)
Old 10-05-2003, 11:05 PM   #6
Matt Erich
Registered Member

Your car should go over 115 unless your parents have had a chip put in it, I have a 96 and i have had it up to 137, atleast that is what the officer said, but you should take some of these guys advice b/c me nor you have no business going that fast on a public road, its just not safe and i have a friends in the hosipital right now b/c he was doing the same things testing out his new audi a4
My 2cents
Matt
Old 10-05-2003, 11:48 PM   #7
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phly6
Gee thanks for all the HELP. Does anyone actually know enough about it to give advice or is everyone out there just reading these cause they're bored? (excuding acidskie)
Listen Junior, we are trying to help. I would tell you why your car wouldn't keep accelerating, but then you'd go out and go that fast again just so see that I'm right.

Why don't you ask your daddy if he put a limiter in the car so you couldn't go over 115.

acidskie-I have a feeling you're not much older than he is, so I won't tell you the answer either. Anyone who has the answer (there are many) won't tell him (or you) for your own good.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:46 AM   #8
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Is it a coupe or a rag top?

First, I kinda agree with the Deuce on this one. I know it's fun, but just make sure you're not going to kill any one.

Second, 115 mph is waaay slow. You should be going faster than that. I've never taken my 2002 past 80 mph or so, but the 95 I've taken it up to about 130 mph. I had 2.73's and needed to be in 4th to go that fast. 5th was useless. Not sure how the 3.27's are going to change that.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
Old 10-06-2003, 02:41 PM   #9
Phly6
Registered Member

Its a coupe. I was hopelessly looking around on the net for some answers and i found that there is a fuel cutoff on the late model mustangs. Its suppost to ensure that you wont loose control or something due to tire grip failure. I was thinking that since it has to do with the tires, would it make a diffrence if ihad traction control on at the time? I hate the fact that it turns on automaticlly when the car starts. If its not traction, do you think i will need to buy a modual or something to reprogram the computer in my car? If so, seen any websites around lately offering them?
-Thanks
Old 10-06-2003, 03:08 PM   #10
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

The pedal needs to be to the floor! At 17, your legs are too short.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 10-06-2003, 03:23 PM   #11
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

OK, now for the serious answer. The car has a speed limiter on it. This is how they keep insurance rates down so people will still buy Mustangs.

Young Man (Geeze, I sound like my father) most of us have done this at one time or another. I am not sure what is more exciting having a fast car that goes fast or can go fast. I am now 36 years old and I remember having my first sports car at 22 (I had to finnish college first and get my first real job). I drove it 140 mph in the Nevada Desert!!! It was great! Course in those days I was a young Naval Officer and I was invinceable.

Now that I am old, I don't think I have had my stang much over 80. You see, with age comes responsibility. With a reckless ticket, I have too much to loose including my way to earn a living.

So I say this, drive the car...see how fast it can go. One of two things will happen. Either you will kill yourself or something will happen that will scare the crap out of you. Have you ever seen what a deer looks like running out in front of you at 120 mph? When you drive that fast, people ahead of you don't expect it either and they tend to pullout in front of you with no notice.

Last month on the National News a Man was stopped on I-81 in PA (my exit) for going 185 in a new Lambo. His answer "I wanted to see how fast it would go". His 5 year old was in the back. Child Wellfare took his kid and he lost his car. In PA the fine is $100 for every mph over 25 over the limit, not to mention all the other tickets. When you get stopped doing a 100 mph they treat you like a criminal and the Judge could care less that "you were trying to see how fast it will go" or "it seemed like a good idea at the time."

Be sensible and respect your car. Have fun and drive safely!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 10-06-2003, 11:56 PM   #12
Torinalth
Registered Member

the answer is out there... and yes yours is limited... i had mine removed on my 2002 (late in the year) and since then have gotten to 140... since that time ive yet to go above 100... i just dont see the need currently...

the guys rae being a lil harsh, but they are correct... a deer jumping out at you is not what you wanna see, and if you hit one going over 100 you rae going to have problems... either you will spin do to the off balance force, the deer will go under the car, you will lose control and flip, or it will go over the hood strit into the glass, then you cant see to stop correctly.... the last one happened to a friend of mine.

but the main answer is yes you can go faster, and no your car is not gimp, just limited by the factory.... take it as a blessing and move on... races are decided before 100 anyhow... only once have i had to go over 100 to decide the winner of a race...

Torinalth
Old 10-07-2003, 11:12 AM   #13
Phly6
Registered Member

Thanks for the help everyone. (or at least the few people who did help insted of pretending they drove the speed limit since they were 16.) I've looked into removing it and theres a good chance it will void my warranty so its staying how it is now. Im sure most of you are glad i wont be terrorizing the loacal highway at any speeds higher then 115. Again thanks to all of you that offered help.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:26 PM   #14
acidskie
Registered Member

Age... age... age... Guess that goes to show what you know he he he I'm 27. Frankly it doesn't matter if I'm 17 or 57. He asked a question and you have every right to not share the information that you have in order to maybe keep him and others safe. However he didn't ask for crap like "find a deserted road and drive yourself into a tree". I mean what crap.

I also thank those who shared the real answer. I can understand wanting to caution someone about such things, but say it better ya know. And if your not going to give the answer to the question... don't even post... JYHO
Old 10-07-2003, 10:04 PM   #15
dgrobels
Registered Member

When did they start coming with MPH limiters? Me and my Ex had her 97GT pegged on the stock speedo wich say 150 and the car was smooth just like we were going 65mph
Old 10-08-2003, 12:06 AM   #16
acidskie
Registered Member

were you on a track dgarobels??? Heaven forbid you were not... for you shall feel the wrath of the ....

Just kidding

see another honest person

We've all done it.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:55 PM   #17
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

You get the limiter if the car didn't have the Z-rated tire package.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:48 AM   #18
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by acidskie
Age... age... age... Guess that goes to show what you know he he he I'm 27. Frankly it doesn't matter if I'm 17 or 57. He asked a question and you have every right to not share the information that you have in order to maybe keep him and others safe. However he didn't ask for crap like "find a deserted road and drive yourself into a tree". I mean what crap.

I also thank those who shared the real answer. I can understand wanting to caution someone about such things, but say it better ya know. And if your not going to give the answer to the question... don't even post... JYHO
Are you saying you disagree with my prediction if were to keep up that behavior? In the past week, three people have died from running their cars into stuff.

Two of them happened to be trees.

I don't know where either one of you two live, but I'm pretty certain the roads aren't as big as they are where I started driving. Heck, the main drag in town was wider than 80% of the interstates in the country.

I have actually been through all 48 of the bottom states (in the Mustang) and have had the pleasure of seeing where a lot of kids do their racing. Most of the road is way too dangerous for what any semi sane person would attempt.

You know what the tricky thing is about free speach and public boards? You have to listen to people who say things that make you mad. Sorry acidskie, but I will continue to admonish youngsters in their daddies cars the same way, regardless of what you think.

Old 10-10-2003, 12:01 PM   #19
Titan
Registered Member

Just from my experience, my car has only made it to 135 once...then my face made it to the hood of the car. I had just got my car, and I had the same mentality. Just to warn you, cops don't really like it when you've more than doubled the speed limit.

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Old 10-10-2003, 02:56 PM   #20
GTvert
Registered Member

Could you be any more harsh on the guy?He just wanted an answer as to why his car was slow, he didn't ask you to take the governer off for him.Everyone here is guilty of speeding, otherwise you would have bought a camaro.115 isn't that fast, but it should be done at the track.Get your car to run 115 in the 1/4 and it will be a lot safer (and more impressive).But telling the kid to run into a tree?That's just wrong.Exactly how wide were the roads back in the day Deuce?Were they called wagon trails back then? Good Luck with your car Phly6

Later