MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-10-2001, 05:40 PM   #1
RodsByRad
Registered Member

Default Exhaust questions on '95 GT

I have a stock '95 GT. I want to get the exhaust in order. Keep in mind, I'm used to driving a '90 Chevy 454SS with a 534ci big block with Hooker Headers, 3" exhaust and 2 chamber flow's. I want my mustang to sound like that (minus the .660 lift cam).

Here are my plans, let me know if I'm smokin' crack or not.

I want to get a set of BBK or Bassini 1 5/8" equal length shorties, get rid of all 4 cats and have my local muffler shop build a new dual exhaust with H pipe and 2 chamber flowmasters. The flowmasters will be 3" straight through (no inlet/outlet offset). I'm pulling them from the truck.

Will this work? The guy at the muffler shop was afraid removing the cats would hose up the computer.

Suggestions?
RodsByRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 07:53 PM   #2
TJR
Registered Member

Well, I doubt your going to get the Mustang to sound like the big block. In my opinion though, nothing sounds better than a 5.0 Mustang with 2 chamber flowmasters (keep in mind that I've been around a lot of purpose built race cars and street cars).

I would get a set of 1 5/8" unequal shorties, 2 1/2" off road H-pipe, and a set of (2 1/2") two chamber flowmasters. From what I've heard, this setup sounds the best. Also, I would not waste the money on the equal length shorties. They're more of pain to work with (especially when changing the plugs), and the gains with them over the unequal length are minimal.

As far as the computer and no catatlytic converters goes, it's different for every car. On some cars, the O2 sensors have trouble sampling the air since the restriction that was once there is now gone. Also, It might cause the check engine light to come on periodically, and you may experience some lean poping every now and again. To avoid this, you could weld some metal tabs behind the 02 sensors (inside of the h-pipe to slow the exhaust stream) or you could get an H-pipe with high flow cats, which will quiet down the exhaust a little bit. That's my $.02 on the subject.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 08:22 PM   #3
andy669
Registered Member

Yeah, what TJR said! I dont think removing the cats will set off your light though on your 95. As for your other question, yeah I think youre smoking crack!.....j/k
andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 08:53 PM   #4
93CobraR
Registered Member

Get the BBK long tube headers, they sound alot better IMO, and they are louder at full throttle. I would then just order an off road h-pipe for it. I have never seen a 5.0 have computer problems with no cats.
Best 60' 1.695
71 Nova SS 350, 4 spd. 4.11s, ect.....
Visit my site at:
http://www.geocities.com/cobrar93_2000/MyPage.html
93CobraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 10:59 PM   #5
blueneonman1
Registered Member

Im set on my next mods being BBK longtubes w/ a BBK shorty H like 93CobraR said. It's only $420 shipped from Summit!!
Blue Streak - '95 5.0L Mustang GT convertible | Saleen heat extractor fiberglass hood | K&N custom CAI | Taylor Spiro Pros | Walbro 255lph pump | Kirban AFPR | MSD Cap/Rotor/Blaster TFI | 2 chamber flows w/ dumps | BBK LTs | BBK short h-pipe | No smog or EGR | NOS 75hp dry kit w/ heater & purge | Battery in trunk| Chassis Eng. subframes | Custom 6-pt rollbar | King Cobra clutch | Steeda adj. clutch cable w/ double hook quad. & firewall adj. | B&M Ripper shifter | FMS C springs | Pro3i C/C plates | Lakewood 70/30 struts | Comp. Eng. 3-way shocks | Chassis Eng. LCAs | Fan switch | 180* thermo FMS| Kumho Ecsta 255/40's all around | Coolest neon lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Don't find yourself in front of me...my brakes SUCK! saving up for a complete Cobra package

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/

Best 1/4 time: 13.5 @ 101
Best 1/8 time: 8.6 @ 84
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 12:25 AM   #6
TJR
Registered Member

I don't know if the longtubes would be worth it at this point in time. For the sake of argument, I'll throw in another $.02 (which is about all it's worth).

1. It's a stock mustang, which in my opinion, isn't worth the hassle of the install (especially since it's a sn95 = less room under the hood). Also, we don't know what mods (if any) are planned for the future.

2. We don't know what transmission is in the car. Do they make longtubes that fit around the AOD? Also, If it has a manual tranny, there's the possibility of melting clutch cables.

3. Longtubes may throw off the readings from the o2 sensors since they are located farther downstream than stock (ie exhaust gases being too cool). Even though they work well on your car, does not necessarily mean that they will work on someone elses. My check engine light used to come on all the time due to the absence of catalytic converters. But for some reason, it hasn't came on at all since my head/cam swap. Go figure!

If it were my decision, I would go with the unequal shorties, off-road h, and flowmasters.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 06:30 AM   #7
CausingHavok
Registered Member

Thumbs down

i went with the bbk 2 1/2" off-road h-pipe and threw a borla catback on it and no joke it makes flows sound almost like a stock mustang its much cleaner, deeper, and much more of a rumble than flows. Borla is very much worth the extra money.
Black 1995 mustang 5.0 convertible: Black leather interior, mach 460 sound system, tremic 5 speed, ram clutch, cobra intake, 65mm throttle body, fenderwell cold air induction, 77mm mass air, underdrive pullies, 3..55/1 gear ratio, dino tuned diablosport chip, 24 lb fuel injecters, 190 lph fuel pump. off road h pipe, borla catback, subframe connecters yokohama a520 275/40/17zr (back) a520 255/45/17zzr (front)
CausingHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 10:35 AM   #8
RodsByRad
Registered Member

Default More info

Sorry, here's some more info. It is a stock '95 GT with a 5 speed. Major mods are planned, however I will build another motor and drive this one while it's being built. But the exhaust will transfer. I am planning a 331 stroker for a ProCharger.

I think I've almost decided to go with MAC or BBK longtubes, custom built off-road h-pipe and my old 3" 2-chamber flowmasters.

Rad...
RodsByRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:23 PM   #9
fasteddie
Registered Member

Default exhaust

i have a 95 gt aod.bbk unequal shorties flowtech h pipe and flowmaster catback american thunder.it sounds great and cut .5 off my 1/4 time.
fasteddie is offline   Reply With Quote