MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-23-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
9Cobra6

Default New Member-Couple ?s

First off I just want to say hi, this is my first post here. I was referred here by someone who knows Dan McClain, they told me if I need to know anything or get any opinions on my 'Stang you guys could help me out A couple of my questions are similar to the ones in the other post on this page about throttle bodies and mass air, except I have a 4V Cobra instead of the 2V GT. So what do you guys think is best for throttle bodies? The BBK twins, MACs, or does it really matter who makes them? Also, if I put bigger throttle bodies should I worry about mass air? Will I see no difference from the throttle bodies if I don't upgrade the mass air along with them? My next question is about short throw shifters. My Cobra is a '96 with the 5 speed. What kind of shifters do you guys use? Will any of them dramatically shorten my gear throws? They are kinda long. Sorry for the long first post, any help/opinions would be great!
Old 01-23-2004, 03:09 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

As far as shifters go the general consensus is that the Pro 5.0 and Steeda Tri-Ax are the best. I have the Steeda and am very pleased with it. I've never driven a stang with a Pro 5.0.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 05:54 PM   #3
surfbeast
Registered Member

try a bigger C&L or Pro M MAF and the Accufab twin T/B. If the exhaust is stock get on that right away!

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-23-2004, 11:34 PM   #4
9Cobra6

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the input.
Surfbeast: The exhaust is not stock, I have a BBK cat-less H-pipe. Still stock mufflers, but I plan to change that this spring. Probably going to put Magnaflows or Magnapacks on it, I like the sound of them especially at higher RPMs. So your opinion is that I should upgrade both the mass air and throttle bodies together? Thanks a bunch for the input.

Eric
Old 01-24-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
explicitone
Registered Member

Default Re: Thanks!

WELCOME ABOARD

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 05:25 PM   #6
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Any aftermarket shifter is going to be better than the stock piece. As recogmended, the Streeda Tri-Ax and Pro 5.0 shifters are probably the best out there. I had a Kirban shifter on my car, and it felt very similar to a Pro 5.0, but cost less. Another option is a UPR Blue Thunder shifter. Its $135 price makes it about the cheapest billet shifter, and I haven't heard anything bad about them.
Honestly, with how stock your car is, I wouldn't worry about a bigger TB yet. Put that money towards other parts.
A larger MAF with a high flow intake will help dramatically. Although a bit pricey (~ $240,) the AFM Powerpipe it worth about 7-8hp at the wheels on the top end. I am pretty sure its made to work with a 80mm Pro-M MAF.
For your Cobra, the best bang for the buck by far is to change the rear gears. If you haven't already, that should be next on your list. 3:73's are a minimum.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 02:49 PM   #7
9Cobra6

Thanks for the input 91LX, I haven't changed the rear gears yet. The car is put away for the winter right now, so I won't be doing anything until the spring. About the gears-Will I lose much top end going to 3.73 gears? I don't necessarily want my Cobra to be just a quick 1/4 mile car, there's nothing I like better than winding it out at top end. Also, if I do decide to get the gears changed, what's the best place to have this done? I don't think that's something I could do myself. I do all the basic maintenance on the car but am no master mechanic. Anything up front I could do, but gears I know nothing about. Thanks!

Eric
Old 01-27-2004, 07:48 PM   #8
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

As for gears, 3.73s are a good step up but for the 4V owners I know. They would swaer by 4.10s.

Gears swaps can always be performed by a dealership (shudder;() nut I'd locae a good speed shop nearby. May have to find locals here that can suggest a speed shop within reasonable driving distance.

STEEDA TriAx fan here, also.

I'd go with 91LX2Bfast's suggest on the TB and MAF. Improvements from a TB are marginal at bestt for the price. I'd recommend a swap with other modifications, ie. supercharger.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:15 PM   #9
acidskie
Registered Member

Default Gears?

Once again I'm going to show my lack of car knowledge.
I have a 02 GT and when I'm running at 65 mph... I'm around 1500 rpm's in 5th gear. now with that thinking.. I would suspect I have stock gears??? Yes no?

If yes, by changing to 3.73's or 4.10's, what rpm am I probably going to be looking at going 65 mph in 5th?
acidskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:12 PM   #10
GTvert
Registered Member

9cobra6, I would recommend the pro 5.0 shifter.
4.10 s are definitely my gear of choice now.I had 3.73s in my 98 cobra.My friend just put 4.10s in his 96 cobra and loves them.I have 4.10s in my Vert and I would never get anything else.Definitely have the gears installed, costs around $200 and well worth it to get it done right. With my mods,I still get 24mpg on the highway.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:14 PM   #11
GTvert
Registered Member

Default Re: Gears?

Quote:
Originally posted by acidskie
Once again I'm going to show my lack of car knowledge.
I have a 02 GT and when I'm running at 65 mph... I'm around 1500 rpm's in 5th gear. now with that thinking.. I would suspect I have stock gears??? Yes no?

If yes, by changing to 3.73's or 4.10's, what rpm am I probably going to be looking at going 65 mph in 5th?
Yeah, sounds like 3.27s. With a gear swap, expect around 1000 rpm jump.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:31 PM   #12
9Cobra6

Question

GTvert, thanks for the input. One question about the 4.10s though, how much will it hurt my top end?? Also, what's the best place to have a gear swap done besides a dealership which will cost a fortune? That's something I can't do myself. Who do you think makes the best gears, or does brand matter all that much? Thanks a bunch for the help guys, it's been awesome so far.

Eric
Old 01-28-2004, 03:42 PM   #13
GTvert
Registered Member

The 4.10s shouldn't hurt your top end,it should actually get you higher up in the rpms in 5th gear(where the power is in the mod motors).I used Ford motorsport gears in mine,but I have used Richmond gears also and had no problems with either.I also thought that the dealership would be a fortune, but they have put a couple sets in for me and both times it has been $200.Just make sure that they put in the limited slip additive.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:54 AM   #14
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

4:10's.....Nuff said...With your Cobra, I wouldnt consider less than that. Got them on my GT, and when it was relatively Stock....I never regretted it at all.

Steeda Tri Ax is what I got, and I love it. I drove a car with the PRO 5.0 shifter, and it felt like trash...Think it was more the tranny than the shifter though to be fair. I imagine though its a good shifter if its on a good tranny.

How much power are you looking for, and how deep are your pockets? Also...X-Pipe would be better suited for you.

My one friend has a a 98 Cobra with 4:10s, BBK X-pipe, resistor in the air temp, K&N, some minor suspension work, and he's running 12.9s....At the Fayetteville Track...(Which sucks) People generally run like 3 tenths, to 4 tenths faster at Rockingham here in NC.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 04:04 PM   #15
9Cobra6

Default Money

Mercury, at this point I'm looking to spend no more than one thousand dollars on mods this spring. I am definitely going to get a shifter, I can't stand the stock shifter. It's not very crisp and the throws are pretty long. You guys also have me pretty convinced to get a set of 4.10 gears as well. These two things will probably cost around $500 I assume, so what would be the best bang for the buck with the remaining $500? I'm on a small budget, I know But it's hard being a car hobbyist and a college student, lol college is expensive! Anyway, let me know what you think. Also, has anyone driven a 96-98 Cobra with the Tri-Ax shifter and one with the Pro 5.0 shifter that can directly compare them? Which one is crisper, which one gives the shorter throws, etc. Thanks guys, it's been awesome being a part of these boards so far

Eric
Old 01-30-2004, 03:30 PM   #16
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Since you are one a budget, I think you should look into the UPR shifter (<--- click.) Essentially its a copy of the Steeda Tri-ax which is basically impossible to miss 3rd gear in. Let those companies argue about the right to copy a product, and just reap the benefits of competition in the market place. Here's a good link to the same question you have: Best bang for the buck shifter?
BTW - I went to community college for the first few years of school, and that was somewhat easy to save money to put into the car. This is my first year away at school and its basically impossible for my to find money to put into my car. So I know your dilemma of trying to pick the perfect parts.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote