MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-10-2004, 10:42 PM   #1
gilmoujr
Registered Member

Default New Opinion of 05 Mustang GT

I have to admit that I had mixed feelings when the photos of the 05 first came out. The car did not meet my expectations AT ALL. This all changed today at the NAIAS. I thought the 05 Mustang GT looked great. My only hope is that they make the V-6 look less aggressive so that you can tell them apart on the street (and keep it so that you cannot buy a V-6 that looks like a GT - i.e. a GT Appearance Package - like they have this past year for the V-6). I thought it did not look as good without a hood scoop in the pictures but it is plenty aggressive (especially with stripes up the center of the car). My opinion has changed and it is on my list of "to buy's" in 05.

Jim
gilmoujr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 06:59 PM   #2
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Default LA Auto Show

At first I was impressed with the press photos of the "concept" '05 about 6 months ago. It was lean and mean and had a hunkered down stance.

I changed my mind after seeing the '05 GT in person.

The '05 is a bastardization of every generation of Mustang. It's a poor combination of otherwise good features.

You had the fender flares, windshield rake, and lower valance from today's "Edge" Stang, driving lamps from the '69-70 model, the quarter glass from the '65-66 model, etc., etc. None of it integrated well together, IMO.

The "chrome gas filler door" is a trim piece...there's a filler door on the side, just like the current model. That's cheesy.

The '05 sat way too high for my taste. The sidewalls appeared to be kind of high too...they looked like 60 section tires although I'm sure they weren't.

Ask me how I really feel about the '05!

'91 LX - 331 w/ Procharger
'03 Cobra Convertible - Pullied
'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

The new car will never be all things to all people, but I believe that it is the best Mustang ever built when you consider the mechanics. I will have to wait for my own test drive, though.

BTW, I saw that the V-6 will be offered with "spinners" on the wheels. Is this cool, or are they getting a little too nostalgic?

No matter what, I still think I would love to have one...and maybe I will.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
Stangette
Registered Member

Default Re: New Opinion of 05 Mustang GT

On the 05 Stang GT -

I always liked the classics - and when I first drove one two weeks ago - and after two days of no other thoughts - I've fallen - the drive is an experience every time and such a thrill to own a legend! 05 Mustang GT - redfire w/ scarlet red and black, the whole set of options.

stangette
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-002F.JPG (126.8 KB, 14 views)
Stangette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Hey Stangette, I have seen your car, Nice!! Welcome to Mustangworks.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:12 AM   #6
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Goog friend has a screeming yellow '05 GT Vert. Car is soo much more refined and better built than any other late modle mustang. My '00, is weak in comparision. BUT, he spent $35 k on the car, when a low mile, stock '00 GT Vert can be had for $12 - 13k around here.

As much as I love the new '05's I would prefer to spend the extra money building a car up. Imagime what you could d0 with $25k (car and mods)? And, my '00 still looks great. Even with the '05 running around, it still turns heads.

Case in point, the two of us were parked a couple of weeks ago at a Ice Cream place. Guy and girl in a Mysti-Chrome Snaake vert stop by to look at our cars. Mine got all the attention. Why? Because if they wanted to look at a stock '05, they could have just gone to a dealer.

If Ford should come out with a GT-350 say in the 30 - 35k range (GT-500 w/o the blower) that would be hard to pass up, but that is still a lot of money.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:05 AM   #7
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I drove one this week, it is a V6 Auto. If I didn't know it was a V6 I would have thought it was a V8. I haven't driven a GT yet, I think I won't for a while because I love my 97. If I drive one I will have to have it! The automatic is so smooth it is like driving a BMW or something like that. I have read all kinds of opinions on the 05s on this board and others, most want to put down the V6 cars, but I am sure 99% of the put downs have never driven one. I was truly impressed, it has the power of my 4.6 easily.
The car drives like a dream and the body fit is unbelievable, no noise. When you open the door, the window automatically goes down about 1/4 inch and when you close it it seals back up. Lotta people complain about all the plastic inside, but EVERY CAR ON THE ROAD has all plastic inside, this is 2005!!!
I detailed this car with Zaino, the finish is awesome. everything about it is impressive. The only thing I didn't like is the wheels. They look great, but they are a PITA to clean, it takes about 10 minutes a wheel to detail. The everyday driver person who takes it to the car wash is going to have some really dirty wheels all the time, the car wash is not going to get them clean, too many surfaces.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:57 AM   #8
Stangette
Registered Member

Smile Re: New Opinion of 05 Mustang GT

Orange97:we'll have to get you a drive! - have to tell y'all cobra drivers in with me & they were impressed with the pick up & handling - speaking to other owners and the standard tires GTs come with gives less performance than the 17 " Pirelli ZRs on this one ... bright mach Al wheels seem easy for me to keep clean - helps to have cobra type brakes though ...the Stang also sticks to the road above 60 mph! 3 point rear axle active stabilizers and panhards make the difference! How about that 300 horses V8!! and close torque ratio on transitional auto trans. to the six speed on this year!! Not all 05s are created equal - this one has a lot of mods that others i know have had to put on theirs later ...yes the price is a bit high - but when they crank more out next year that will not be such a problem...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-009F.JPG (126.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #9
Mach 1
Registered Member

The 05 Stang Rocks! Im old school, but I think its best looking, best built stang in Long time. I loved the 99 up models, but this one has that one beat hands down. Sometimes I think Im passing a 70 stang (my favorite stang ever) at first glance, only to see its an 05.

And the new shelby totally rocks! Anybody can lend me $40K
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:19 PM   #10
tscamardo
Registered Member

I am holding out for the 07 Shelby Gt. 500 Hp for less than $40k. Hope it is true and not just a wet dream induced by Ford Racing.
tscamardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #11
Stangette
Registered Member

Heard the Shelby 500 is coming late in '06 - the base hp is 450 horses blown and body style modified for more aggressive stance. Read the price starts @ just under 40 K - i already pining for the Shelby and only had the 05 GT a couple of months! - Mach 1, somebody stopped me in a parking lot today and said they could have sworn my car looked like a '70 on the street....Orange97GTVERT - what did you think of the ride in the 05 Redfire After you drove the V6? -
Old 06-05-2005, 07:23 AM   #12
4barrel
Mustang Rookie

The more I see them, the less I like them. I love all the specialty cars like the Saleen and the Shelby, but the stock GT just seems to get worse everytime I pass one. Maybe it will grow on me.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/822269

4barrel is offline   Reply With Quote