MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-06-1999, 10:10 PM   #1
95GTS
Git jiggy

Angry New struts are rattling, I think?

I just replaced the struts on my stang and now when I hit bumps I hear a rattling from both front corners. any idea what this could be?

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
All stock (not for long)
15.4 @ 94.4 mph (1/4 mi.)
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-1999, 10:15 PM   #2
97 Aztec
Registered Member

Dude, where have you been? Your damn shocks are quite the pain in the ass!

------------------
97 Aztec Gold GT w/Steeda heads,intake,TB,
shifter,headers, subframe conn. 3"flowmaster exhaust and
125 hp NOS
97 Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-1999, 09:24 AM   #3
Red96GT
Registered Member

96GTS, how did you get the damn dust covers off the old struts?!? I'm installin Tokico 5 ways, and I cannot figure out how to get the dust covers off. I got the passenger side strut off last night (laying on garage floor). Should I have loosened the big bolt on the top while it was still attached?

Help me out, will ya?
Thanks!

------------------
96 GT: KB subs, March pulleys, Bassani X pipe, 3.73's, alum. drive shaft, 70mm TB, K&N, KB Carbon Kevlar BP, Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Flowmasters, MSD wires

H&R springs, Tokico Illuminas,MM C/C plate & GW RLCA sitting in the garage waiting for a free weekend...

Red96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-1999, 11:21 AM   #4
95GTS
Git jiggy

Thumbs up

I'm not quite sure what you are saying about the "big bolt". Ok, under the hood at the top of the strut you'll see the cc plate on the top fender well. You'll see the strut sticking through, of course. Now the nut that is screwed down on to the strut holding against that huge metal washer against the rubber bushing. That nut comes off, extreme pain in the ass, then of course you just undo the other two bolts attaching the strut to the spindle and then the strut comes out. The dust cover should just slip right off the old one. Make sure you take that round rubber deal, I think it's called a jounce bumper or something, off the old one and put it on the new one (of course it goes under the dust boot). If you got the strut off I'd think that the dust cover would have been able to be slipped right off. In fact when I did mine, I was standing there talking to my dad and I flipped the strut upside down and the boot just slipped right off to the ground. I also think I found out what my problem is with the struts rattling. Anyways, hope this helps. If not maybe we can get something figured out. Just ask.
BY the way, how do you like the 3.73's? I've been thinking about putting those on mine. What's you mpg like?
------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
All stock (not for long)

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 12-08-1999).]
Old 12-08-1999, 01:49 PM   #5
Red96GT
Registered Member

That's where I went wrong. I took off the 3 bolts on the Caster/camber plate and the strut came off with dust cover and nut on top of strut (it's about 21 mm) still attached. Did you have an impact wrench to get that "bitch" nut off, or just a lot of elbow grease? I talked to Pep boys at lunch and they said they could just pop it off for free with the air gun, but I'd like to do the entire job myself, sense of accomplishment thing, you know..
Old 12-08-1999, 01:55 PM   #6
Red96GT
Registered Member

Whoops, forgot about mileage part. I get about 20 in town, shifting at 2000-2200 rpms. If I get into (which happens often) then forget about it. Highway is about the same as it ever was 26 or 28, something like that.

But, damn, they're glorious! I cannot recommend them enough. Also, cannot recommend enough, get a good shifter for your gears if it's a 5 speed. I like the Steeda piece...
Old 12-08-1999, 04:05 PM   #7
95GTS
Git jiggy

Exclamation

Good deal. Glad I could help. Man, those nuts are an extreme pain to get off. It's a two man job. 21 mm open end wrench and like a flat ended pry bar to pound into the slot (crow bar sticking out sideways) or something, big ass screw driver, whatever. one man on the pry bar and one man turning the nut. Good luck. I don't think an air gun will work cause the strut tower will turn with the nut. That's why it must be held still using that slot on top while turning the nut. Otherwise you could you use a socket/breaker bar. You'll see what I mean when you try it.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
All stock (not for long)
Old 12-08-1999, 04:26 PM   #8
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

In my opinion, going to 3.73 gears should be one of the first mods for a stock 96-98 GT.
It gets you in the power band faster, decreases your ET a bit, and the kick in the pants acceleration just makes driving your stang more fun... ;-)

Having a standard 5-speed in my 98, the performance has improved, I can't see any top end loss, and the fuel usage increase is negligable. You see it most on "in-city" driving with all the stops and starts. ;-)

If you have a stick (standard), and you go to after-market gears, seriously consider a short throw shifter. You definately don't want to miss those gears while frying rice!

Some on this board with autos will swear by 4.10s, so if you have an auto you might want to look into them.

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-1999, 08:17 AM   #9
Red96GT
Registered Member

96GTS

Managed to get one strut dust cover off last night using screwdriver/ wrench combo, but the slot on the other strut is too rounded for the screwdriver to get any "bite". The Tokicos come with their own bolt, so if there's any way I can cut that motherf*@%er off there, I will. Also, was thinking I might take a dremel and cut the slot deeper for the screwdriver. What do ya think?