MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-13-2000, 05:10 AM   #1
redyj91
Registered Member

Smile New Toy

Hey all, Im new to posting here but ive been lurking for a while. I decided today was a fitting day to join as i finally have a car worthy of note. Today i picked up a Black 97 Cobra Convertable with 31,000 miles on it. Black inside and out. Bone stock, though not for too long. I intend to start with the basics to go for 11's N/A. Anyone want to give me ideas? At this point im looking at 4.10 or 4.30 (though it needs to be streetable) gears, Mega bites, and some kind of headers/hpipe w/ hi flow cats. And of course for the track some type of tire that will fit in the stock well. I dunno if its possible to hit 11's in a convertable, but im gonna try Thanks for your help.

------------------
97 Black/Black Cobra Convertable
Compleatly Stock But not for long
redyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 08:35 AM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Nice car, man. Welcome to the wonderful world of mustangs/cobras. Sounds like you have a really sweet car. Looks like you are on the right track for mods but I must say you will have to put on a supercharger or NOS to get into the 11s with that motor and being that it's a heavy 'vert. I would get at least 4.10s if not the 4.30s. There's some Cobra guys on here that will chime in and tell you the best way to go. Get subframes and strut tower brace for sure to keep that sucker from twisting. Exhaust, headers and all. Underdrive pullies would be good. Remove your air silencer and also install a K&N air filter. A better shifter will help alot. The stock one is a POS. Pro 5.0, B&M ripper, and Steeda Tri-ax are really good ones. Aluminum driveshaft will take care of some of the parasitic hp loss thru the driveline. And try and do some weight reduction, if possible. For starters there is a little 10 lb. wt. that is over the pinion on the differential. It can be discarded after you change gear ratios. Also you will have to get the speedo corrected after the gear change, as well. Hope this helps get you in the right direction. Have fun!

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS For Sale:$10,500

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 12-13-2000).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 09:49 AM   #3
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Congradulations on the purchase. The only thing more fun then a Cobra is a convertable Cobra!

It is possible to make 11s NA in a convertable, but it will take a lot of work. But for a general performance increase, 4.30s will make a wonderful start. I have 4.10s in my Coupe which gave a very good gain with basically no loss in milage. Unfortantly if you want to go for 11s NA, you would need some steeper then that. 4.88s or even more.

You all ready have a strut tower brace, but some additional chassis bracing will also be nice for a convertable. I would suggest subframe connectors with cross support, such as the Kenny Brown. Weld in, instead of bolt in. BTW, when you break into the 13s a lot of tracks require you to have a roll bar.

As far as power: Freeing up the exhaulst is a very productive undertaking for the Cobra. To go all out you need a set of long tube headers such as MAC or BBK, as well as a high flow H-pipe, which come with the long tubes. Installing headers is a real PITA anyway, but long tubes more so. The other option is either the FRPP (Ford) shortie headers or the JBA shorties. If you go with a shortie header you can use any H or X pipe which will fit the stock manifolds. For now the stock cat-back is okay, unless you decide to go for sound. If you are seriously shooting for 11s, you will need something a little bigger.

Some other bolt on performance parts which will help are: underdrive pulleys, timing adjuster, MAF, throttle body. But to get into the 11s you will probly need some internal work, such as cams, ported intake, maybe some head work.

As far as tires, you can fit some really mamoth ones in the rear tire well. If you get a set of upper control arms to go along with the lowers you can pull off the quad shocks and go up to 315s. Till then you can fit a set of 275 Nitto DRs on the stock wheels.

Well, that's a start at least. Welcome to the board! I look forward to talking to you again soon.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 12:17 PM   #4
King Snake
Registered Member

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the group! It would be best to start with the basics: Install your gears, then help it breath better by adding a high-flow cat H-pipe, mufflers, and a cold air intake. Next improve your shifting by adding a quality short throw shifter. You will also need wider meats to handle the extra power. Install some underdrive pullies. As far as a timing adjuster, it adds appox. 10 hp, but if you plan on installing a chip do not install the mechanical adjuster because the chip will take care of your timing as well as your A/F ratio. There are many other parts that enhance power and performance. I wish I had all the stuff I mentioned. Maybe one day!

Good luck and have fun!!!

------------------
'97 Cobra, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, Rio Red
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 12:28 PM   #5
Jeff Chambers

Don't be afraid of going with the 4.30's and definitely go with nothing less than the 4.10's. Believe me, with the way the '97 revs, you'd be disappointed with 3.73's or 3.55's. I've got 4.30's and I don't mind them on the street at all. It make 5th gear useable around town and the revs are still only around 2500 on the highway at 70MPH.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.97 Seconds / 114.5 MPH
http://www.kellnet.com/chambers
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 12:29 PM   #6
Jeff Chambers

Don't be afraid of going with the 4.30's and definitely go with nothing less than the 4.10's. Believe me, with the way the '97 revs, you'd be disappointed with 3.73's or 3.55's. I've got 4.30's and I don't mind them on the street at all. It make 5th gear useable around town and the revs are still only around 2500 on the highway at 70MPH.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.97 Seconds / 114.5 MPH
http://www.kellnet.com/chambers
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 04:19 PM   #7
redyj91
Registered Member

Thanks all for your idea's and keep em coming. I think i will go with 4.30's for starters and then do headers, hpipe, and a borla catback system (sounds good) the stock shift def needs to be replaced, prob with the triax im thinking. Also im prob gonna give up the goal of nat. aspirated and stick an s trim on it in the spring. the car feels real good. Fast, was at 100 today before i even relized it just getting on the freeway. Called SVT today and got the vin decoded, its number 1534 of 3088 convertables built. 860 so of which where black/black/black. Thnaks for your help and more to come.

Mike

------------------
Old 12-14-2000, 11:55 PM   #8
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Yeah Mike, N/A 11's in the vert and streetable isnt a combo thats probably gonna happen unless you go with a 4.88+ gear which would suck on the freeway. I say do the exhaust, and go with a 4.10 gear if your gonna get the blower. Remember gears multiply torque and a blower makes a **** load of torque. Get the megabites and 275DR's and you can pull some good 60's if you can drive it . Also get that shifter so you don't thrash the T-45. Also if your going for the blower skip the pulleys as the S-trim will come with its own setup there. Also skip the timing adjuster as you'll need a chip to deal w/ that or a boost retard with the S-trim...
Drive the car down. I want a race . Also....why do you keep the Jeep name?

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS Heads, Edelbrock intake, E-303, 3.73's, 1 5/8 shorty headers, Offroad-Hpipe, 2chamber flows, 36psi FPR, playing with timing still, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, K/N, March Crank pulley, MSD6a, 9mm wires and FMS Aluminum driveshaft.
Best ET 13.2@106mph Needs tuning...
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2000, 01:53 PM   #9
redyj91
Registered Member

Yeah, Im gonna start with the exahst, then do shifter, then go after the blower i think, also gonna do a roll bar to make it track legal. Then i'll go after the traction part. Sky, as for the name its just what everyone knows me by so why change it. (Everyone else I used to own a Red Jeep Wrangler YJ '91)

Mike

------------------
Old 12-18-2000, 06:55 PM   #10
Modular Demon
Registered Member

Well...I went with the 4:30's and an ATI Procharger P-1SC and dipped in the 9's along with a lot of other mods.
Modular Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 01:16 PM   #11
BlackOnBlackCobra96
Registered Member

I think 4.10's and a Bassani cat-back and X pipe are a good start. The shifter is pretty cool too. Pulleys are good too. You're going to need a S/C or something extreme to get into the 11's though, as well as some serious tires.

------------------
Bassani cat-back
Bassani off-road X pipe with MIL eliminators
Steeda Tri-Ax
FMS 4.10s
K & N

BlackOnBlackCobra96 is offline   Reply With Quote