MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-16-2003, 12:33 AM   #1
gt96
Registered Member

Default nitrous and 4.6

i am just wondering? i am very interested in nitrous! and i was wondering what is a safe hp shot to shoot with my plastic intake? and what kind of things do i have t d to my car to get it ready for nitrous?
Old 06-16-2003, 10:04 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Safest shot is about a 75hp pill...

I would recommend the Zex kit...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 05:44 PM   #3
gt96
Registered Member

Question

so what kind of things should i do to my car to get it ready for nitrous?
Old 06-16-2003, 06:31 PM   #4
sleeper_stang_2000
Registered Member

100 Shot is fine...I've had a 100 NOS system for 45,000 miles...I refill the bottle about once every three weeks and I have no problems so far....the problem is that I blow away the $4,000 Blower cars and their jealousy is usually obvious...you can buy a very nice forged short block and have the nirtous while the supercharger guys spend that much on just the blower...lol. The best pasrt is you don't have that whining noise all the time...don't need all those fast and furious gauges and you'll be blowing their doors off. I have to shoot in second gear because I'll go in the 11's if I hit it on 1st and that requires a roll cage down here and I don't want to put one in mine just yet. Get nitrous (100) with the window switch and go have fun! (by the way, my car is an automatic too)
3ft Above Sea evel
sleeper_stang_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:22 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

2 things...

1. You don't have to refill a blower... (Down here, a refill can go for 25-30 bucks)

2. You never have to worry about getting lined up next to a nasty LS1 with an empty bottle in the back...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 03:14 PM   #6
Wikkd GT
Registered Member

What is a forged short block and can I get one for a 2000GT? If so, who would have them? Also is that called something else? I tried searching but couldn't find it. Thanks
Wikkd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:10 AM   #7
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

A forged short block is basically the engine block you have now except it hase forged pistons, rods, and possible a crank. Buying this from a place such as Sean Hyland motorsports would prove supperior clearances and engine building compared to the Ford assembly line. It's going to cost you. I belive the short block alone will cost you around $2500 when you add labor, gaskets and new studs your looking to spend a lot. I don't think that this is neccisary for a 2000 GT running 100 shot or less. Believe it or not the hyperutectic pistons have been proven to be just as good as the forged when used with nitrous. (whether I believe that 100% or not is a different story.) The hyperutectics are cast aluminum pistons with a high silica count. Which resists the heat caused by applying nitrous.
The best thing you can do to get your car ready for nitrous would be to upgrade your fuel system. The largest reason for failure with nitrous is not getting the fuel required by the upgraded horse power. The problem here is that your car uses a returnless fuel system like mine. And there are only two high performance pumps that are compatabile. Steeda has both of them. Give them a call and ask them if you should upgrade your fuel system for the amount of nitrous you will be using. I recomend sending your stock fuel module in for steeda to modify it and put twin pumps in. I think that it is $399 for that set up, and $349 to buy the '03 twin cobra setup. The problem is that with the cobra set up your will have to break out the existing baffle because the new pumps are too big to fit in side. While your beaking out this baffle your snips will slip and you will bang your wrist on the opening in the gas tank which will slice you too the bone and require you to get 11 stiches and then you will have a nasty scar. Another problem is that you will have to keep your tank pretty full otherweis your fuel will slosh away from the pump and cause it to suck air, and the fuel helps cool the pump, and without the fuel surrounding the pump it will greatly shorten the life of the pump.
In conclusion, if you run less than 100 shot you should be fine with out the fuel upgrade, but if you can't resist the need for speed, you should probably upgrade the fuel system to play it safe. Ask the nitrous company about upgrading the injectors too, and always try to get a second opinion, because a lot of people in this world are here simply to sell things, I used to be a salesmen, and I could sell PT Cruisers to anybody, even if they didn't want one.
I hope that my long responses don't bother anyone here. If they do, let me know and I will attempt to shrink them down.

Custom Electronic Exhaust cut outs
Tuning via Diablo Predator
Ported and polished Throttle body and plenum
Line locker (for the smoke shows)
Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
mlambrecht82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:59 AM   #8
sleeper_stang_2000
Registered Member

That is an excellen response. I would add that if the nitrous will be used often and over a 100 shot, a two stage custom program chip should be used.
3ft Above Sea evel
sleeper_stang_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:43 PM   #9
NOSstang08690
Registered Member

Nitorus is great for the 4.6 motors. You will see great results, long as you do all your research and learn as much as you possibly can. I have been runng nitrus on my car for three years now and have been very happy. I have a 1997 mustang gt with just bolt ons and a 150 shot and the car runs 12.42. If you are really interested I would do as much research as possible. Some parts that you will definetly need would be the MSD DIS 4 ignnition and definetly colder plugs. The kit I have is the 5115-2 its really for a 5.0 but will work on the early year 4.6 motors. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rice Haters Club Member # 99!!!!!
HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS
1997 GT
12.41 @ 109 mph
NOSstang08690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:00 AM   #10
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

nitrous sucks buy a super they last longer you don`t have to turn them off when your on the street like you do with a bottle which is most states you can get a huge fine if your ever get pulled over and the valve is open, and the sc whine is nice kinda a don`t ***** with me signal at the lights. but first try to make more power na this will make a big differance in the future a engine that makes alot of power na will make considerably more power when a power adder is put on don`t take the easy way out .and if you do buy the zex like hammer said. in my opinion kids use giggle gas because it`s cheap. and pro racers use it when they have no other way to make more powwer.

buy the way feel free to flame me you nitrous users because when the bottle is empty i`ll still be making all the power na you won`t
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:58 PM   #11
9646GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Badass_yellowGT
nitrous sucks buy a super they last longer you don`t have to turn them off when your on the street like you do with a bottle which is most states you can get a huge fine if your ever get pulled over and the valve is open, and the sc whine is nice kinda a don`t ***** with me signal at the lights. but first try to make more power na this will make a big differance in the future a engine that makes alot of power na will make considerably more power when a power adder is put on don`t take the easy way out .and if you do buy the zex like hammer said. in my opinion kids use giggle gas because it`s cheap. and pro racers use it when they have no other way to make more powwer.

buy the way feel free to flame me you nitrous users because when the bottle is empty i`ll still be making all the power na you won`t
You make a pretty good point but not everyone has 4 grand or more for a supercharger... sounds like you got wooped by someone with nitrous Id go with nitrous and my bolt ons before I would a supercharger.. simply because of the enormous savings.I will admit I would give my left nut for a SC tho.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:44 AM   #12
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

i love boltons don`t get me wrong i just think giggle gas is not real power. sure for a couple seconds it is but after that your back to the pathetic power again. i say make as most power na as humanly possible then try the gas. you do have a point though
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 01:19 AM   #13
ac97gt
Registered Member

i guess this is a little off topic, on topic, but how exactly does using the nitrous work? do you hit and hold the button as long as you want the juice to come out? if thats the case do some people put in toggle switches that would leave it on until you turn it off? when do you start spraying and how long do you leave it on for? about how many seconds (or minutes) or constant spray can you get off an average bottle at say, 100 shot? just curious, i dont know much about it.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote