MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-08-2000, 06:25 AM   #1
RickC
Registered Member

Question Noises in a '99 GT

Hello,

Thanks for reading my first post. I thought I'd be asking about performance issues for my first post but instead I have a couple of minor noises that I must first address.

First up, the left rear has a minor creaking sound during during light suspension motion. I've tried lubricating all moving parts but now fear a failing shock. The car has 14500 miles on it, are the shocks prone to failing so early?

Next up, with WD-40 in hand I thought I'd shoot a little into the door hinges. Now both doors have a distinctive snapping or cracking sound at one point during the opening or closing. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rick
RickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2000, 11:25 AM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

If your car is still under warranty I would start at the dealer. At least this way you can get documentation and if the problem gets worse later they can't say it was a neglected problem that will cost more. It's usually safer that way than poking around and voiding the warranty by messing something up.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers(not installed yet), Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
K&N (more to come)
Where'd my money go?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2000, 03:17 PM   #3
Ripper
Registered Member

Unhappy

I also have a 99GT. I may share the same creaking problem on the left side but no to the problem with the doors. The creaking is there sometimes and I think it may be related to the air temperature. All of my creaks seem to go away as the weather becomes warmer. I agree with Stefan, get that car to the dealer to have everything checked out. Let us know what they say.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2000, 04:53 PM   #4
RickC
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I will be taking it to the dealer in the next few weeks. If the noises persist until then I'll be sure to let you all know what happened.

BTW, off-line a friend suggested lithium grease (which is what I normally do and have done with all other cars) and the door snaps have reduced in intensity. I'll give this another day and see if the noise works out on its own.

Thanks,

Rick
RickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2000, 08:05 PM   #5
lewillie
Registered Member

Cool

Team. take it from an oooold techie, loose the WD-40 it's a penetrating oil. Try a product called Super Lub made buy Synco out of Bohemia N.Y. It's a teflon based synthetic available from U.A.P. or other auto parts distributers, in a spray or grease.
The squeek or grinding from the doors is common in all the Stangs and is a SOB to get rid of. I use a hypodermic filled with a reduced consistancy grease (mix the grease with the spray in the hypo) so it flows through the needle and lub the rubber bushings in the suspension to get rid of that noise from under the car as you've described. The synthetic won't hurt the rubber.
Hope this solves the promlem.

------------------
99/ Silver GT 4.6 SOHC
M.S. headers 3.27
lewillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2000, 09:00 PM   #6
94BlkStang
Registered Member

Like everyone else suggested-- take it to the dealer first.
I also agree with lewillie. Do not spray WD-40 into your door hinges. The WD-40 will dissolve what little grease you do have in the hinges. In the long run this would make your problem worse.
Good luck.
94BlkStang is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: