MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-17-2002, 05:50 PM   #1
Betterdays1
Registered Member

Default NOS or Supercharge?

Suggestions?? My buddies tell me that it will be much more cost effective to run NOS in my 96GT. I really don't want to spend 3k for a supercharger. Thoughts?
Betterdays1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:02 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

99+ PI cylinder head and intake replacement is the route to go.

Then if you want to go forced induction later, you'll get more out of it...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 07:05 PM   #3
stangt00
Registered Member

Nos is for rice burners since they need all the help they can get . Saw a guy blow his motor on Nos. Stupid Civic's. You can do whatever you want, but Nos can be tricky and cause detonation which is bad. I am saving my money for a supercharger. I wanna go fast NOW, but I will never turn to Nos to do it. Dont get me wrong, lot's of people use it successfully, but the motors dont last as long. Buddy of mine has a slowmaro , I mean Camaro SS and put Nos on. Dyno'd it with the Nos, ran it 5 seperate days at the track with Nos. He started to notice less power during normal driving so he had it dyno'd again. Sure enough he was beating that motor up with the Nos and losing power. Take it for what it's worth.
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.
stangt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 07:27 PM   #4
The Deuce
Registered Member

For what its worth, not all Nitrous Oxide is NOS. They're a CA based company who produce Nitrous Oxide Systems. Zex makes a great 'cheater' kit. Small shot, easy installation.

Hammer's right on here. Grab some PI heads, either from a 99+ GT or any 5.4. The Bullitt intake is pricey, but cheap speed never lasts.

In terms of motor problems, I've seen juiced cars throw rods and blown cars split blocks. It happens when you race. If you do it right, the parts will last. A throttle body spacer and a 75 shot would be a good temporary solution if you're looking for one. UPR sells a spacer that will accept a nitrous nozzle for $90. I was thinking about picking one up, even though I won't spray mine. Personal preference.

Have fun.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 08:06 PM   #5
stangt00
Registered Member

Nos, Nitrous, same slang thats understood by most people. My question is, what does PI stand for, Plastic Intake, Ported, Polished?
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:47 PM   #6
Torinalth
Registered Member

at one point it was police interceptor, taken from the PI heads from the Police 5.0 mustangs that were beefier and allowed more flow than stock ones.... but I might be wrong about the current usage... either way the PI heads, or 99+ heads are a lot less restrictive than the ones you are currently using... it will give a solid gain.

Torinalth
Old 12-17-2002, 11:33 PM   #7
Shaggy
Registered Member

Performance Improved
Old 12-17-2002, 11:53 PM   #8
wantapony2001
Registered Member

Private Investigator
wantapony2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 12:22 AM   #9
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stangt00
[B]Nos, Nitrous, same slang thats understood by most people./B]
No. That's wrong. NOS is a brand name. Nawwwssss is the crap ricers run. Call it juice, the bottle, spray, squeeze, giggle, Nitrous, anything but Nos, unless you are running an NOS kit.

Quote:
My question is, what does PI stand for, Plastic Intake, Ported, Polished?
Power Improved

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 08:54 AM   #10
stangt00
Registered Member

Angry

WOW! I never seen anyone so adamant about a word. Next thing I know I will be getting hate mail. Not for nothing, look at the original post
Quote:
My buddies tell me that it will be much more cost effective to run NOS in my 96GT
It may be incorrect terminology, but it's widely used. And by the way, how does anyone know that we were not referring to the name brand, or setup?
Old 12-18-2002, 06:25 PM   #11
esandes
Registered Member

I think it's just a matter of preference (juice or blower). The thing I like about juice is you use it when you need it. That's good for gas milage and drivability. Yeah I know, who cares about gas milage?

The nitrous kits now feature window switches. They are pretty much fool proof. The nitrous engages within a given RPM window (ie. 2500-6000 RPM). With nitrous, it is a good idea to have 2 programs on your chip. One for juice and one for NA. Apparently now you can make it so you hit one switch and the nitrous chip program will kick in when the juice is delivered to the engine.

To make sure your engine stays together when using a power adder be sure to consider forged pistons and rods as well as ARP studs.

98 GT w/ lots of bolt-ons
esandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:43 PM   #12
midnightoutlaw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stangt00
Nos, Nitrous, same slang thats understood by most people. My question is, what does PI stand for, Plastic Intake, Ported, Polished?
nos is used by more ricers then anyone and its only used so much because the slow and stupid flick came out
midnightoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote