MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-18-2000, 07:40 PM   #1
Stefan
Registered Member

Post O2 sensors

My 96 GT is coming up on 55,000 miles and I was wondering when the O2 sensors should be changed. Everything is running fine, but I just wanted to keep good on maintenance and all. Are there just two of them?

Thanks for the help
Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers(not installed yet), Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
K&N (more to come)
Where'd my money go?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2000, 07:05 PM   #2
T-Bone
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Stefan, on our 4.6L mod engines there are 4 heated oxygen sensors. 2 before the dual converters on the exhaust pipes, and 2 after. If your not getting any CE light, they should be fine. However, if you have reason to believe they are bad, here is how you check them out:
**Warning-Do not pierce the wires when testing heated oxygen sensors, as this can lead to wiring harness damage. Backprobe the connector to properly read the voltage of HO2S.
1. Disconnect the HO2S(Heated O2 Sensor)
2. Measure the resistance between PWR and GND terminals of the sensor. If the reading is approximately 6 ohms at 68 degrees Fahrenhiet, the sensor's heater element is in good condition.
3. With the HO2S connected and engine running, measure the voltage with a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter between terminals HO2S and SIG RTN(GND) of the oxygen sensor connector. If the voltage readings are approximately equal to those below, the sensor is okay.

Ignition ON, engine OFF- 0 Volts
Idle(cold)- 0 Volts
Idle(warm)- 0-1.0 Volts
Acceleration- 0.5-1.0 Volts
Decelaration- 0-0.5 Volts

Per Chiltons

Hope this helps!

------------------
96' GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,removed air silencer,80mm MAF,Mac True Fit Cat-Back

http://minot.com/~topel/stang9.JPG
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2000, 10:14 PM   #3
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the thorough answer T-Bone. I checked and all the readings are ballpark I think, so I guess they are OK. The check engine light hasn't come on either.

Thanks again!

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers(not installed yet), Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
K&N (more to come)
Where'd my money go?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote