MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-01-2000, 07:37 PM   #1
Dino
Registered Member

Question off-road pipe and computer

I was talking to a mechanic at the muffler shop and he said if I switched to either an H or X-pipe on my 96 GT, that it would cause the computer in the car to get all messed up (Check Engine light would come on), and that the car would end up making less power. Is this true? I thought I heard somewhere else about the Check Engine light coming on after the install, is there a fix for this?
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2000, 10:48 PM   #2
shifty
Registered Member

Cool

i have the sean hyland cat pipes. they weigh about 75# less than stock, have all the bungs for the four sensors, sound good, work with the computer well, and most importantly if i go to an event traveling thru a state that enforces emision crap it is one less thing they can hassle me over.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2000, 06:39 PM   #3
PDOG
Registered Member

Talking

A friend of mine has a 98 gt with the 260 hp 4.6. It was made in late 98. But anyway there are two things you can do.

1. Unplug the check engine bulb.
2. There is a relay that goes inline with the sensors that cost about $60.00. This will allow all other sensors to work but bypasses the exhaust sensor.

Everyone in my Mustang/ Camaro Racing Group is running an H or X pipe. All have seen considerable gains in sound and performance. I'm the only one that is running cats, but I'm changing that in a couple of weeks. Just keep your cats if you get your car serviced at the dealer, cause it will void your warranty. HTH

------------------
2000 Mustang GT, Eibach Lowering Springs, K&N Air filter, Dual Chamber Flowmasters
PDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2000, 10:27 PM   #4
96GTBYYOU
Registered Member

If you get the pipes w\out cats your CE light will come on. I have a Bassani-X w\2 Hi-Flow cats & 2 1/2" stainless out the back and my CE light does not come on. Has something to do with the presence of o2 Sensors I believe.
Good luck w\your choice.

------------------
96GT, Vortech S-Trim, 3.73, Bassani X, Flows, 70mm TB, Subs, Mega-Bite Jr.Lower rear Ctrl Arms, FMS Uppers, Ripper, and a bunch of other $tuff I can't seem to remember!
96GTBYYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2000, 11:11 AM   #5
Snakeman
Registered Member

my off road pipe has all the fittings for o2 sensors. No CE light here. Mine is an earlier model, though.

------------------
90LX
13.578@ 98.800
Snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2000, 11:21 PM   #6
Joel 98 GT
Registered Member

Wink

Dino, I'm running a BBK H-pipe w/o cats and Mil eliminaters to keep the CE light from coming on. The only function of the rear o2 sensors is to check proper operation of the converters. They do not cause the ECCU to do anything except trip the CE light when they sense a converter malfunction. You could run the car with the CE light on due to no converters, but if something else went wrong you wouldn't have that protection.
Joel 98 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2000, 07:03 AM   #7
Dino
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies! I'll probably just leave the stock pipe on for now. I was checking out some other messageboards and came across some guy who removed the middle 2 cats and left the 4 main ones. He said he noticed improved sound and flow, and his check engine light never came on. Has anyone done this? Will it pass the sniffer test this way?
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2000, 05:56 PM   #8
RedGTvert
Registered Member

Dino, If you go with a pipe such as the Bassani X w/cats your Check Engine light will not go on. It will if you go with an Off-road pipe, but you can buy MIL eliminators which will fool the computer into thinking that they cats are still on the so no MIL lights.

Shifty, you sure about the weight, I don't think the stock pipe with cats even ways anywhere near 75lbs.

PDOG, are you nuts, Disconecting the Check Engine Light. What is there is something seriously wrong. I guess the only way your friend will know if anything is wrong with the cars is when is dies 50 miles from home. NOT GOOD ADVISE!
RedGTvert is offline   Reply With Quote