Thread: oil changes
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2002, 04:10 PM   #15
GITY UUP
Registered Member

Default Oil changes

I run Mobil 1 and change it every 5000 miles and I top my engine off with 6 quarts when I change it. If I were running non synthetic, I would change it every 3000. I have been told not to switch back to mineral oil after you go to synthetic. Mobil 1 is only around $35/case at my local Price Club. I also run Fram oil filters. I really can't tell the difference running synthetic versus mineral oil. The only other thing that I was told is that if you do run mineral oil, don't go past 4 months between changes, because the mineral based oil breaks down naturally and the synthetic oil does not. My car had mineral in it from the factory until I switched to Mobil 1 at 1000 miles. Bottom line, do your oil changes yourself to save yourself the money that these oil change shops get for labor, washing your windows, vacuuming your car, etc. and use that money you save and run Mobil 1. I do all of my oil changes myself since a local oil change shop about 8 years ago left the old oil filter ring on the block in a Honda Accord that I owned and then installed a new filter on top of the old rubber filter seal and my check oil light came on about 20 miles after I left the shop. Luckily, I was near another oil change shop and I paid them to refill my crankcase and I gave their bill back to the original shop. I figure I do it myself, and it's done right from now on. Hope this helps.