MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-13-2002, 06:17 PM   #1
midnightoutlaw
Registered Member

Default old over done ?

I know this question has been asked a lot of times. 3.73 or 4.10s.
I just sold my 87lx 5.0 and picked up a 2000 GT (5-speed). what are the diff. between the 2 in gas mpg I drive about 30miles one way to work and spend most of the time at 55mph and the diff. track times between the 2 in a stock setup. the first mods I am planning are gears and sub frames

Thanks for any help
midnightoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 06:42 PM   #2
midnightoutlaw
Registered Member

is there anyone that can help me on this I plan on ordering both the gears and subframes next week. and I would like make the right choice the frist time IM new to the mod motors but not mustangs this is my 4th pony car and I know how 4.10s were on a 5.0 but these cars are a new animal to me
Old 12-13-2002, 11:12 PM   #3
midnightoutlaw
Registered Member

well it looks like everyone that made this site great is gone it seems like no one helps people out anymore unless you have been around awhile. or maybe its just the mod guys that dont like to lend out a helping hand
Old 12-13-2002, 11:50 PM   #4
The Deuce
Registered Member

Default Easy killer

First of all, you need to work on the patience issue. This thread is only five hours old.

To answer your question, go with the 4.10's. There happens to be a FAQ thread and link at the top of this forum which would answer your question, which may be why no on answered yet. Since you are too lazy to look around or search for yourself, I'm responding.

In terms of gas mileage, the determining factor is the weight of your right foot. If you drive conservatively you will see the same milage with either, and it will stay within 2 of stock.

On the track, I've heard you gain .1 for each step in gear. That would mean a .2 difference between the gears, and obviously steeper is better.

If you do a lot of traveling at speed above 80, the 4.10's would get annoying. Since you mentioned spending the freeway time at 55, this is a non-issue.

Now you can relax and quit whining about people not helping your lazy arse out.

edit: Just saw the thread in BOL about the name change. Sorry if I ranted a little, there's been some trolling in here, and it makes me jumpy. Hammer works hard to keep the info good, and he's a friend of mine, so I took some offense for him.

Rice Haters Club Member #13

Last edited by The Deuce; 12-14-2002 at 02:21 AM..
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 12:26 PM   #5
midnightoutlaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Easy killer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce
First of all, you need to work on the patience issue. This thread is only five hours old.

To answer your question, go with the 4.10's. There happens to be a FAQ thread and link at the top of this forum which would answer your question, which may be why no on answered yet. Since you are too lazy to look around or search for yourself, I'm responding.

In terms of gas mileage, the determining factor is the weight of your right foot. If you drive conservatively you will see the same milage with either, and it will stay within 2 of stock.

On the track, I've heard you gain .1 for each step in gear. That would mean a .2 difference between the gears, and obviously steeper is better.

If you do a lot of traveling at speed above 80, the 4.10's would get annoying. Since you mentioned spending the freeway time at 55, this is a non-issue.

Now you can relax and quit whining about people not helping your lazy arse out.

edit: Just saw the thread in BOL about the name change. Sorry if I ranted a little, there's been some trolling in here, and it makes me jumpy. Hammer works hard to keep the info good, and he's a friend of mine, so I took some offense for him.
dont worry about it I can see how I came off as a jerk it just seems like the mod crowd does not help people as much and yes I did look into the gear issue on my own but I was looking for some real life opion of it from people that drives these on the street everyday and as for the link im sorry for not looking that up I have been of the net for a awhile and it will take time for me to find my way around again.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:01 PM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Go with 3.73's they are the best all around gear. You would see little to no gain in ET switching from 3.73 to 4.10's.

3.73's are the best bet for what you want. If you drag race dont go with 3.55's unless you wan to shift to 4th right at the finish line.

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 05:34 PM   #7
chico
Registered Member

Default Gears

Definately go with the 4.10 gears...you will not be satisfied with 3.73 after driving with 4.10's.

Deuce..you could stand a little work on the patience factor as well...