MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-02-2001, 05:21 PM   #1
jz_mustang50
Registered Member

Post Rear end Noise or Tranny Noise???

I just had my car at the gear shop for the second time. The first time was 4 months ago getting a new posi and 4.10 gears put in my car. Everything was fine, except I need to get an aluminum driveshaft due to some vibration at higher rpms in top gear... Common problem. I got my driveshaft and found out it didn't fit! It was two long by about an 1' to 1' 1/2. I ended up finding out there was two different tength tailshafts on the AOD's. The guy before me must have got a different one and got the shaft cut to fit. Anyways... (I ended up getting mine cut 2 inches for same measure...) I heard what I thought was gear noise starting up about 2 months later... The shop ended up redoing everything they did and put new gears and bearings in it just to make sure it wasn't them. They said the noise sounds like its coming from the rear end just becuase the harmonics are being transfered down the driveshaft. He said it was uncharacteristic for gears to be loud when its cool and quiet down when it warms up. He said it sounded like the AOD and he said the AOD seemed to have a loose tailhousing fit on the driveshaft. Any help on this? Is my tranny just all messed up?? The noise goes away when i let of the gas from hard throttle and it goes away when i'm costing. THe noise only happens when I'm cruising and keeping the same speed. Generally betwene idel to 2500 it has that whoooo whooooo noise. The gear shop is a very very reputable one. Need more info? Let me know....

------------------
Joe Zemaitis, Grand Rapids Michigan

1991 Mustang GT. Mods to date: 4.10 rear end, new POSI, aluminum driveshaft, AOD w/ shift kit, 2 1/2 off road h-pipe, 2 1/2 flowmasters and 2 1/2 tail pipes. Electric fan, Removed air pump and egr tube. Jegs brand upper and lower adjustable control arms. Removed back seats. Hoosier Quick Time Pro 27x10.5x15 and bolt on subframes soon to be welded. Everything else is STOCK. Totally stock ENGINE. 14.29@96 with 130k miles.
jz_mustang50 is offline   Reply With Quote