MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-23-2001, 03:47 AM   #1
PKRWUD

Post Weekly Crash & Burn Picture

Hello boys and girls. It’s just me again with your weekly Sprint Car crash pic. I feel like I’m cheating this week because this picture was taken back in August. It’s of local driver Steve Chuhloff finishing a kartwheel his daughter would be proud of, at Ventura Raceway. The real reason I’m posting this one is actually educational. Sprint cars, like most race cars, respond well to less weight. As a result, virtually every piece of metal on or in the car is aluminum, with the exception being the frame, torsion bars and the headers. It doesn’t take much to bend or break parts when they’re aluminum, as this picture shows. His entire front end basically just shattered like glass.Remember this when you racers are trying to gain an advantage by putting light weight components into your Mustangs. A lighter car will definately go faster, but when the unexpected happens, you may find yourself SOL. Just be careful!

Tonight we had several big crashes, so I should have some great pics next week. We even had a Street Stocker who had his Camaro fall off the jack and land on his head in the pits. Seems he was in too big a hurry to use jack stands. He’s spending the night in the hospital, but is expected to make a full recovery.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 09:51 AM   #2
Capri306

Don't worry about cheating on us here, Chris. We're not your girlfriend or wife, hehehe. j/k

There's just something about control arms flying apart that appeals to the senses, isn't there?

Sorry to hear that dude got his head smooshed my a Camaro, but that's cool he'll be back to fight again another day. I had my Stang's rear end *almost* fall on my head in my driveway. Thank God for the swift kneejerk reaction I had. Jackstands don't work well on soft stone, just an FYI. Hehehe. Thanks again for the pic. You're lucky to be able to get to the track that much (I'm jealous!).

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!"
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 10:51 AM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

I like pictures. Pretty pictures.

What kind of fuel do those things run? It's a mixture of gasoline and EtOH?

I ALWAYS be very careful when crawling under my car. Make sure I got all proper stands in place appropriatel and many times leave the jack just barely under the car as a safety back up. I don't play that foolishness of a car falling on my big head. Uhh uh.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under custom made 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter. Only a couple of weeks b4 Project FOX begins!!!

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 11:05 AM   #4
PKRWUD

We run on Methanol.

Yeah, the pits at Ventura Raceway are dirt, and not always very stable. Anyway, this guy came back in from mud packing with a flat tire in his Street Stock Camaro. He then jacked it up and while the wheel was off, crawled underneath to check something, and the jack started to sink in the dirt (it was one of those cheap $19.99 auto parts store specials). The jack started to fall, then the car. His head got stuck between the frame and the ground. What saved him was the fact that it all happened pretty slowly, and that there was 20 guys there lifting up the car with their bare hands, within 2 seconds.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote