MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-10-2001, 12:45 PM   #1
MrClean
Registered Member

Question Making a fast Street Car = More mods?

My car is going into the shop this thursday for 3.73's. Look at my signiture and you can see my other minor mods. I have a goal of restoring this as opposed to making a drag racer. But I do want it to kick a little *** . Gears were the advice I had received here to do next, Done!

Now I have some other thoughts about making my car quicker without spending a ton of cash on engine mods. I have read that I well prepared chasis is a great way to go. The mods are not that expensive. I was thinking of traction bars, frame stiffeners and crossmember under the hood. Anyone have experience with this? Advice?

This message board rocks!

------------------
86 GT - BBK Equal shorties, BBK H-pipe, Flowmasters, 70mm Tb, BBK cold air intake. Automatic. 96k miles.
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 01:13 PM   #2
ronny50
Registered Member

I didn't see Pullies on your Sig.

Great bang for a Hundred bucks

------------------
1990 GT 6k Original miles!!
Ripper,Pullies,73 MM C&l Mass Air,9mm Wires,Piaa Headlights,MAC Cold Air (Fender), Bassani X-pipe
ronny50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 01:16 PM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Suspension is a good way to go because these cars definately need better traction. South Side lift bars make a great improvement over stock. Sub frame connectors are a must have item too. Go with some full length subs with the crossmember under the seats.

You could also go with some underdrive pullies, but I'd recommend beefing up the charging and cooling systems before you go that route. Others may say that you'll be fine with the stock radiator and alternator, but it's not going to hurt to upgrade your radiator with a cheap 3 core from Pep Boys or Auto Zone and getting the 3G alternator from Auto Zone is only about $90 if you go with the rebuilt alternator. Just a thought.

Your 70mm TB is probably a bit too big for your current setup and may be hurting you more than it is helping. You'd probably notice a difference in low end torque stepping down to a 65mm.

A good tuneup is always good to have too. Get some Autolight #25 plugs, K&N air filter, some good plug wires, fuel filter, switch to synthetic oil, and advance timing to 14 degrees or so. It'll wake the car up.

Good luck.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 01:16 PM   #4
todd95GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Pulleys are definately a great bang for the buck mod. You can't beat anything that will give you a few HP for less than a hundred bucks.
Subframe connectors are also worthwhile. Get ones that weld in-not the bolt in type. Any subframe car will benefit in handling and in getting the power to the ground with a stiffer chassis with subframe connectors.

------------------
Todd
1995 GT/T-5
Pulleys; 65 mm TB; Flowmaster cat-back; Mac off road H-pipe; FMS aluminum driveshaft; short-throw shifter; HD clutch; Cobra R's; Cobra front and wing
todd95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 01:21 PM   #5
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Well you sound like you are on your way...TRACTION IS THE KEY. I was able to get my stock, head, cam, intake, TB, MAF, Inj car in the high 12's (12.87 @ 104 on a 1.600 60ft) The car was consistantly in the low 1.6xx on the 60fts that was the reason it was fast, I was getting all the power possible to the ground.

I personally really like the UPR suspension componets, very nice pieces, I plan on getting the double adjustable uppers and sway bar for my combo. www.uprproducts.com.

I had SSM lowers, 70/30's, 50/50's, Eibach drag launch kit, no front sway, subs and 3:73's at that time. It is more of a drag set up but really wasn't bad on the street.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
[b]12.16 @ 113.5, 1.78 60ft..no traction in the 90 degree
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 01:23 PM   #6
MrClean
Registered Member

Underdrive pullys are still questionable to me. I have read many conflicting reports on their advantages and disadvantages. That I will need to learn more about to be sure.

------------------
86 GT - BBK Equal shorties, BBK H-pipe, Flowmasters, 70mm Tb, BBK cold air intake. Automatic. 96k miles.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:30 PM   #7
bada$$lx

Cool

I would definitely get some full length weld-on subframe connectors.....it's a must on any Stang! You'll be fine w/ the pulleys unless you get a kick*** stereo system. Besides that, you're gonna get into some $$$ (besides N2O, heads are the biggest bang for your buck)!

------------------
'90 LX 5.0;12K original miles (no sh*&);3.55 gears; March pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads;BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties;MSD 6AL ignition w/ blaster 2 coil;FMS E303 cam;Pro-M 75mm MAF;BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit;Southside welded subs;9" K&N cone filter charger;Hurst shifter;Cervini's 3" turbo hood;A/C delete; gutted cats;2 chamber Flomasters;Corbeau racing seats;FMS 30# injectors;JMS chip; Holley 190lb fp;TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113 - 1.78 60')
Old 09-10-2001, 01:41 PM   #8
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Underdrive pullies have been proven again and again for atleast 10RWHP, worth the money in my opinion and you can feel the difference in the Seat of the pant test

It was one of the first motor mods I did..that 70mm is killing the bottom end a little right now but should be fine for future mods.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
Old 09-10-2001, 01:47 PM   #9
MrClean
Registered Member

Question

So the 700 TB is not good? Damn, and i just installed it too. Is that TB only good for when I (and if) I install heads? :-(

------------------
Old 09-10-2001, 02:00 PM   #10
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Talking

The 70mm isn't that bad but it is killing a little low end on your car right now, it will be more helpful with a another better flowing intake and defintly come into play with heads, I am upgrading to a 75mm since my car is more of a top end power maker, and with the 4:30's going in shortly, I don't think I'll have issues with bottom end

I replied to you PM, that above link works for me:confused

------------------
Old 09-10-2001, 02:08 PM   #11
MrClean
Registered Member

The link worked this time.

OK, so I know the chassis work is next.
Maybe pullys... i was going to have the engine rebuilt and the tranny too. I was going to be mostly stock on the engine with the exception of a new intake to match the 70mm TB. First, what is a decent intake for my ride and do I have to do the heads? I was not going to do any other big mods. No cam or heads, just a good rebuild.
I know nothing about the tranny at this point, Other then just rebuilding it. Maybe a shift kit. Those are cheap.

------------------
Old 09-10-2001, 02:27 PM   #12
Mach 1
Registered Member

You can get a built AOD at GER for a good price. try www.gerperformance.com

Dont use their converter though, it didnt work well for me, and I got a stallion from www.converter.com they rock.

Get yourself some heads while you are having the motor rebuilt, and a Cobra or Trick Flow street intake manifold are the best value.

The 70mm TB is ok, you will give up some "throttle response", but probably wont affect your performance to much. Then again, on a stock motor like you have now, i guess it could hurt you slightly.

The 86' heads were especialy weak, so that would be a great mod fopr you to make.

I know you said you didnt want to spend much money...but, how fast do you want to go? Speed and horsepower cost money. If you want to go fast, spend the dollars. If you want to dream about going fast, press on like you are doing now.
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 02:33 PM   #13
MrClean
Registered Member

I want to keep this car as a collectable. It is mint with exception to some minor body work. I just want a classic. But a fast one. I can live with not being the fastest. But fast is good too. Am I making sence?

------------------
Old 09-11-2001, 01:48 PM   #14
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

The only thing about underdrive pullies that would be negative is the fact that they slow down your accessories to the point that sometimes they cause charging or overheating problems. This will not be a problem if you upgrade to the 3G alternator, and a 3 core radiator and high flow water pump. Even with the underdrive pullies my car charges better than it ever has, and stays cooler as well. And they do add a very noticable difference in power.

Another thing I did to my car that I am happy with is we rebuilt the T-Loc when we did my gears. We also installed an F-150 retainer spring in the T-Loc which is a little beefier than the stock spring so I have no problem getting posi now. Very recommended modification.

And listen to Rick. Anyone who can get a stock Mustang into the 12's is a GOD!

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
Old 09-11-2001, 01:51 PM   #15
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Gotta love it when your PC screws up and makes you post twice

[This message has been edited by 2FastLX (edited 09-11-2001).]
Old 09-11-2001, 04:40 PM   #16
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1:

The 86' heads were especialy weak, so that would be a great mod for you to make.
Mach 1 is absolutely correct. The '86 heads are CRAP! Although they have a higher compression ratio (i believe 9.3:1 compared to later 9:1 Compression ratio) the heads flow like crap and were designed as "high swirl" heads, which means more restrictions to make the "swirl" that they were after. You'll get better gas mileage and LOTS more power with some good aftermarket heads. You can get some stock looking Ford Motorsport GT-40 heads or any of the MANY available cast iron or aluminum heads. The reason i recommend this pretty high on the list is because you'll get probably 30-40 more horsepower, probably better gas mileage and a much fatter power band.
The intake manifold is very restrictive and you already replaced the very restrictive throttle body (the '86 had smaller runners in the intake manifold, smaller throttle body, worse heads, and smaller injectors -i think-) so at least an '87+ intake manifold will help out alot and will look stock on your vehicle. Another option is that you can get a Ford Performance stock Cobra intake manifold for $400 for both the upper and lower and it was also a factory piece on the '93 Cobra and it looks good as well.
This is what i'd do (but i'm not you or anyone else so people may not agree with me):
1. Subframe connectors (full length)
2. upper and lower control arms
3. Cylinder heads and intake manifold
4. Transmission stuff (like shift kit, converter, tranny cooler, etc.)
5. maybe pulleys (i'm in a tossup about this mod as well because i like being able to have all accessories on without the lights dimming). I took the belt off of my '84 and took off without any accessories being driven and i could definately notice a difference in power. Pulleys may be worth their price but may also cause problems, i don't have any so i can't confirm any of this.

------------------
previous name: 84stangLX
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote