MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-23-2002, 03:59 AM   #1
stumy
Registered Member

Question potential mustang owner

Hi, I am totally new to the world of mustangs. I just recently drove one at a dealership, not expecting to particularly like, but actually was very impressed. I started looking around at used ones since a new one doesn't appear economically friendly.

I found a 2000 gt, at a dealership here in CA with 22,000 miles. It a five speed, with cd, cloth, air. I'm pretty sure I can get them down to $15,000. However, I have a couple questions about the car. I have driven a 2003 gt and compared to that one the clutch on the 2000 is a lot more stiff. My guess is an aftermarket clutch. Were there any signifigant changes in the transmission between 2000 and 2003, or is it probably just an aftermarket clutch?

In terms of drag racing I know these cars are great, but what about track days. The car appeared to handle quite well, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with after market shocks, springs, sway bars etc., and their improvement.

The car is already lowered, and the dealer didnt' know anything about it. All of the times I've heard of people buying sport springs they are accompanied by performance shocks, if not, is this bad for handling in any way?

Anyway, the amount of support for these cars on the internet is amazing, and is alone a strongpoint for ownership of the car. A car purchase is not something I want to enter into without serious consideration, but I seem to like a lot of things about these cars. I appretiate any responses.

Thanks,

Scott K.
stumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 12:23 PM   #2
The Deuce
Registered Member

Where in CA are you? I'm sure there's somebody local that would look at the car with you.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 09:51 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
Were there any signifigant changes in the transmission between 2000 and 2003, or is it probably just an aftermarket clutch?
2000 GTs have a Tremec-built T-45 while all Mustang GTs built after March 2001 have a Tremec 3650.

Quote:
The car appeared to handle quite well, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with after market shocks, springs, sway bars etc., and their improvement.
The Mustang is probably the most after-market supported vehicle as far as performance-based products go.
(The Honda Civic technically has more after-market parts, but I don't count stickers and Altezza taillights)

You can make it a drag strip terror, or just as easily eat people alive on a road course.

Its all in the parts you put in it.

Be advised, I'm not a handling guru, but some Eibach Pro-Kit "Street" springs, KYB shocks\struts, and sub-frame connectors are a good start.

Also remember that any time your car is lowered with performance springs, you'll need a set of caster\camber plates and offset bushings.

In my opinion, the most important part of the handling equation is where your car meets the road. My recommendations for affordable, decent lasting performance tires would be:
Firestone Firehawks or Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus

Hope this helps...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote