MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-27-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
MadOnion
Registered Member

Default Auto Tranny Question

I finnally bought a mustang!
1989 GT Convertible, Auto, 80k, very clean engine. Lets just say I'm going to be very happy when I get all the paper work done.

Question is, when in town should I have it in Drive w/out the circle around it (second Drive down) Then on the highway put it in the uppermost drive?
I was told that Overdrive kicks in on the uppermost Drive.

The third drive down is low gears....
Is there any advantage to putting it in Low gears from a dead stop, then shift into the second drive when the rpms go up?
(If I wanted better times)

Thanks for the help!
If you want any details about the car, ask.... The car amazing!
Old 04-27-2003, 08:32 PM   #2
MadOnion
Registered Member

Anyone?
Old 04-27-2003, 10:14 PM   #3
SurfaRiver
Registered Member

I drive with overdrive on all the time, its better for your mileage unless you are towing something. but yes, when your going for time, you want to start out and shift manually. you should experiment shifting at different rpms to find what gets you the best ET's. you might also want to consider putting a shift kit in the tranny, its not much work and makes sharper more fun shifts all the time
SurfaRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:30 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Yeah, there's no reason not to just leave it on OD... it wont shift into OD untill it needs it, generaly at higher speeds... plus, you'll need it if you switch out gears at some point... I dunno about your 89 ... but mine allthough it's a 4 speed tranny only has 3 points on the shifter.... 1, D and OD... kinda sucks... so if you're racing or something you can do the Overdrive Shuffle... but with a more or less stock motor the tranny will shift at the the right times. The stock motor doesnt make much power passed 5K anyway.. shifter later wont make much of a difference. Though once you get some mods in there and your power bands gets higher you'll want to shifter higher, but then it's time for ashiftkit anyway
-as
Old 04-28-2003, 12:03 PM   #5
MadOnion
Registered Member

What is the OD Shuffle?
So you don't lose any proformance when you drive in D (uppermost w/OD)

When you have gears (3.73 lets say) how do you best shift?
Start in Lowgears then w/out OD.... then to Drive w/OD?
Old 04-28-2003, 12:20 PM   #6
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

well since you've only got two gears to really play with when drag racing and a 3 speed transmission (we'll ignore OD for now)

Lets assume you're going to WIDE OPEN THROTTLE this whole run. If you start in first, then shift it into D it will shift into second gear, once the tranny is in second bring the shifter back into 1st... it wont downshift, cause the tranny wont let it... so you'll be in second gear now, then shift it into D and it'll shift into 3rd. You wouldnt want to use OD when racing, but for around town by all means use it... these msutangs dont have teh best milage, you'll need what you can get... it'll only kick in at high speeds anyway.. I say high when it's really about 40 or so... if you're cruising around it's not a big deal, when you mash the pedal the tranny while kick down a gear or two anyway.

The only time you might ever need to take it out of OD is if you're under heavy load, like towing... it might constantly shift back and forth in wich case it'll be anoying... so they suggest to put it in D... I just got 3.73 gears and you'll be happy you have the OD, cause if you put it in D you're at some high revs just doing 65 on the highway...

What it all boils down to is this. it's an automatic.. it'll do the work for you... if you're talking about eeking out the very last bit of power when racing, then go ahead and shift it manualy.... but with a stock AOD and no shift kit the shifts arent going to be very fast anyway... when you're just driving around town, leave it in OD, it'll use it when i needs it and when you need the power, the tranny will keep you in teh power band you need to be in..
-as
Old 04-28-2003, 12:49 PM   #7
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

First off, I think OD should be reserved for the highway and the car should not use OD for around the town driving. Especially if your car has gears. With my car it would always be jumping back and forth between OD and D, which is not the greatest thing to have the tranny doing! OD is pretty much the weakest gear in the auto, so why abuse it.

ChunkyFunky described how to do the AOD "shuffle." I do it all the time around town and such. But if your 80k miles tranny has never been rebuilt I wouldn't go crazy doing it, cause the "shuffle" puts more stress on the trans. now some people have problems with doing it and some don't. I had a really good rebuild, and haven't had a problem in 2 years.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 12:53 PM   #8
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

Yeah, what HiFlow5 0 said.

Engine: FMS 65mm tb/spacer, C&L 73mm maf, MAC cai.

Drivetrain: Built AOD w/ Edge 2800rpm lockup converter, hardened 3-4 inner shaft, Trans-Go shift kit, B&M supercooler, FMS 3.73 gears & aluminum d/s, rebuilt traction lock.

Exhaust: BBK unequal length shorty headers, BBK o/r h-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers.

Chassis/suspension/brakes: Kenny Brown supersubs.

The rest is stock.
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 01:21 PM   #9
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

That's funny you guys are both from mass. ... I dont find my tranny switching back and forth to OD.... though I had the care for two months before I blew the tranny and it's basicaly nice and newly rebuilt so I dont have to worry about it... but I think once you start beating on an 80K tranny it's going to go... I bought the car from an older guy and didnt really beat on it... I had it for 2 months and I blew the hell out of it... that's what you get when you're 24 and behind the wheel
-as