MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Modular Madness (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Suprecharged Cobra (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=14186)

FastBlkz28 01-31-2001 12:12 PM

Suprecharged Cobra

As you can see by my screen name I have a Lt1 Camaro that I love but I had some questions about a 96-98 Cobra.
With the Vortech on the 4.6 4v motor do you need to rebuild the motor for it to live a long life? I know Camaros don't like the boost, and you need to plan a rebuild if you get a supercharger but how about the modular motor how does it take to a supercharger?
Mark

Hammer 01-31-2001 02:19 PM

While I would recommend any user of forced induction to start with a stout bottom end, the modular motor seems to thrive and survive well with moderate boost from a supercharger.

I'm not sure, but I think the cobra comes with forged pistons, so they wouldn't be dealing with the weaker hypereuretic pistons that come with the GT.

While we all hear the "horror stories" of forced induction from time to time, the modular motors seem to "weather the storm" quite well...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Hey, you weren't supposed to be that fast!"- Turbo Eclipse Driver

97snakedriver 01-31-2001 04:10 PM

The Cobra has cast pistons, powdered steel rods, and a forged steel crank.

The key is tuning. But yes, a Cobra can live a long and happy life with properly setup 8-10 psi blower.

turbolx 01-31-2001 04:15 PM

We can make 'em live long and happy lives with over 10psi of boost. It's all in the tune, just don't detonate. http://www.mustangworks.com/interact...board/wink.gif

We also have a few tricks up our sleeves to make LT1's like the boost too. http://www.mustangworks.com/interact...oard/smile.gif

------------------
Greg Banish
President, Detroit Speedworks, Inc.
'93 LX Turbocharged Road Racer
'00 Bad-*** F150

[This message has been edited by turbolx (edited 01-31-2001).]

FastBlkz28 01-31-2001 07:40 PM

Thanks for the replies, before I got the Z28 I had my eyes on a 96-98 Cobra with the plan for a supercharger and the works still do but it cost alot more money than I make. I have seen some supercharged Cobras for sale in the 19-20K range not bad I think what should I look for if I went that route?
Mark

97snakedriver 01-31-2001 08:18 PM

If you buy a Cobra with a blower on it all ready, be careful. Ask for service records. Look especially oil changes. Also find out if what kind of chip the car has. Stock Vortec, custom tune, ect.

SMOKE 02-01-2001 12:01 AM

Exactly. I think smart money would be to look for one that is a virgin and purchase the blower after so you know the service log and it's history a little better.

A blown Cobra can turn better than 500hp with the proper tune and care.

------------------
SMOKE
Personalized Black 98 SVO Blown ROUSH without the side exhaust
Dyno 303rwhp 338rwtrq
Still working out the kinks!!!

[This message has been edited by SMOKE (edited 02-01-2001).]

Skyman 02-01-2001 12:46 AM

Yeah the cobra has hyper pistons, but as long as the tunes good it will be fine. If you have a bad tune on forged pistons they will die on you too. Its a 6bolt main block and very strong. The 4v reponds really well to boost, and you can get in the 400++ RWHP range with the blower on a stock engine.
Alternative auto ran 27psi on a STOCK COBRA engine with a T-Trim in a fox chassis running 9's.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS Heads, Edelbrock intake, E-303, 3.73's, 1 5/8 shortys, Offroad-H, 2chamber flows, 36psi FPR, 15degrees timing, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb inj, Crank pulley, MSD6A, Alum driveshaft.

Added: B&M Ripper, Subframes, & Turndowns.

96SNAKE 02-04-2001 08:54 PM

From all I have heard from friends and racers, supercharging a 96-98 Cobra is fairly safe but with the crappy Hyperpathetic pistons, you walk a fine line between great power and an engine rebuild. I know if you supply adequate fuel, most Cobras should be ok but one hint of detonation and those pistons are byebye.

I am planning the install of a 5.2 SHM stroker motor this summer with a blower and this motor will have a stouter bottom end with the forged pistons and ARP fasteners all around. I'll let you guys know the results and dyno session..

------------------
formerly 96cobra89lx306

(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Saleen copy-polished 18's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(gutted),C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower before gutting the X pipe
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)

97snakedriver 02-04-2001 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 96SNAKE:
I am planning the install of a 5.2 SHM stroker motor this summer with a blower and this motor will have a stouter bottom end with the forged pistons and ARP fasteners all around. I'll let you guys know the results and dyno session..

Ouch! Yes. Keep up informed.