MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Problems with the stang (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=33085)

abesmith 01-14-2003 09:26 AM

Problems with the stang

Alright I posted my problems AWHILE ago and I have done some things and wanted to update and get more information.

Alright here is the situation

Its a rainy day, im being james bond......and I see a huge puddle of water and I got about 4 friends in the stang, so im feeling dangerous. I stomp the gas and trash 3/4 the way through this puddle and my car stalls and runs out of the puddle. I sit there for a min and then I try to start the car, I have a hard time doing this it takes me about 5 minutes, I finally get it started and I hear a tapping noise coming from the engine. Well I drive the car home and park it. Since then I have been trying to diagnose the problem, the tap is coming from the top half of the motor but it is hard to tell which cylinder or side it is coming from. The tap is definately too high pitch to be a rod knock but this is what I have checked/changed so far.

Push Rods....all changed
Rocker Arms....checked tightness
Lifters....checked if they are collapsed
Valve Springs....not sure how to check these....but they were all tight.
Changed the oil

Thats all I have done so far, but I have been suggested to check

Cam Rattle
Flat spot in my cam
Wrist pin

If you guys know anything else, I would appreciate the input.

THANKS DUDES!

Abe

88PONY 01-14-2003 11:05 AM

#1 Mustangs are not boats!

#2 Take all 4 of your friends cars, and drive through the same puddle next time it rains!

#3 I've hear this problem before, a wrist pin, or a rod bearing could definately be the cause. Does it happen at all RPMS, or at certian RPM? If it happens at a certian RPM, I would say its a rod bearing before a wrist pin, but you never know.

Good luck!!!! ;)

abesmith 01-14-2003 11:12 AM

ya

its at all RPMS.....the higher the RPMS the faster the tap

sn95gt19 01-14-2003 11:49 AM

this might sound stupid but, it sounds like you may have an exhaust leak. (high pitched, gets faster as your rpms go up)

abesmith 01-14-2003 11:51 AM

no lol
definately not that

Its a tap man =P

Oh I wish it were that easy lol

I did the ole screwdriver test and found out it was coming from the top half of the motor.

abesmith 01-14-2003 12:15 PM

Alright I was just talking with someone and they suggested a bad oil pump ?

Any ideas on that.

88PONY 01-14-2003 12:19 PM

sn95gt19.....good thinkin! abesmith hows the oil pressure? Your oil pump could be takin a crap, or the screen could be clogged. Whats the mileage on the engine?

:rolleyes:

abesmith 01-14-2003 12:53 PM

Oil Pressure

im not sure how the oil pressure is I would have to assemble the motor to check it out. The car has only 91,000 miles on it.

From what I have heard changing the oil pump is a pretty lengthy job.

88PONY 01-14-2003 12:57 PM

Ya, the oil pump is a pain. The best way i've done it is use an engine crane, and jack the motor up as high as you can. Be carefull, you don't want to hurt or break anything. And be carefull not to drop the pump bolts in the pan.

abesmith 01-14-2003 12:59 PM

but do you think that will fix my problem ?

87BOSS351C 01-14-2003 03:03 PM

Did you check for bent valves??? If your engine managed to suck some water into the intake it may have bent a valve. Water doesn't compress so it tends to do nasty things to internal engine parts. Go to a parts store and get one of those fittings so you can hook an air compressor up to the spark plug hole. Loosen all of the rocker arms and see if each valve is sealing. If one is not (you'll hear the air leaking out), it is probably bent.

abesmith 01-14-2003 03:15 PM

Im pretty sure water didnt get into my intake.....it was dry as a desert when I took it apart.

Simi Stang 01-14-2003 06:43 PM

water in the intake

Quote:

Originally posted by abesmith
Im pretty sure water didnt get into my intake.....it was dry as a desert when I took it apart.
Water had to go into your intake when you hit the puddle. That would be just way too much of a coinsidence if your car stalled and then had a major internal motor problem just after going through the puddle. Obviously the water would have to go through your intake first, once sucked into the motor. You wouldn't have seen any left over water because you drove it home. Any water that would have been in there would have burned up or evaporated from heat. As for what happened inside your motor...not too sure...it really could be a lot of different things. Good luck and keep us posted.