MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Modular Madness (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Headlight out? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=41887)

Jason1320 03-08-2004 07:01 AM

Headlight out?

Alright I have a question. I saw a lot of mustangs with there headlights removed yesteday at the track. I tried it both ways and didn't notice much difference in my times. However, this was my first time and the strip and I'm not consistant.

Who thinks this is effective? Who thinks it's just dumb?

tireburner163 03-08-2004 08:23 AM

I know people that do it. Basicly it just makes a cheap ram air kit.

Does it make a real difference.........maybe. But it only takes like 15 seconds, so why not.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

explicitone 03-08-2004 04:50 PM

Re: Headlight out?

Quote:

Originally posted by Jason1320
Alright I have a question. I saw a lot of mustangs with there headlights removed yesteday at the track. I tried it both ways and didn't notice much difference in my times. However, this was my first time and the strip and I'm not consistant.

Who thinks this is effective? Who thinks it's just dumb?

it makes a difference of about .1 and .5mph but it you only really helps if you have a open cone filter and not the stock setup

Jason1320 03-08-2004 04:59 PM

Re: Re: Headlight out?

Quote:

Originally posted by explicitone
it makes a difference of about .1 and .5mph but it you only really helps if you have a open cone filter and not the stock setup
I do. I was just curious because there was a .2 second difference between the run with and without. This could also be related to the fact that it was my first time at the track. I was just getting used to the rules, the tree and my timing.

GodStang 03-09-2004 10:28 AM

Another thing that worked for me is removing the rear spoiler. I ran two runs with the spolier and one with out it one night and I got a big improvement from reduced drag.

Jason1320 03-09-2004 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GodStang
Another thing that worked for me is removing the rear spoiler. I ran two runs with the spolier and one with out it one night and I got a big improvement from reduced drag.
I saw a lot of that at the strip too. It seems like it would be a pain. Makes you wonder why ricers add a huge wing!

TARZAN 03-09-2004 01:26 PM

The headlight mod does helpat least some. As stated though, thats only if you have an open element filter. Then you get fresh, cool air in there.

Like Josh said, it's easy, free, and can't hurt.:)

Personally, I've raced plenty of times, and can show proof that its good for at least marginally. And on especially cool days, it helps a good bit;)

As for the spoiler. I am gonna kep mine on there. The function of a spoiler is to add a down force on the back of the car at higher speeds, helping the rear to not "float" at high speeds. And when you get to the end of the 1/4, IMO, those are pretty high speeds. Its not worth it IMO.

Also, I have a 2000, so I have the "cool" stock spoiler:p

-Will