MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Modular Madness (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Exhaust for 2000 GT, SLP or Flows (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=42312)

blownbyyou 04-05-2004 12:06 PM

Exhaust for 2000 GT, SLP or Flows

Hello,
This friday I added another car to my collections of mustangs. This one is a Triple Black GT convertible mustang, 2000 with 2003 hood. To get to the point, The exhaust is to quiet. I have been reading about The SLP exhaust system, with the 3 inch tips. Is it good? or should i go with Flows? Also is it a good idea to go with an offroad X pipe?

bigred90gt 04-05-2004 06:41 PM

I have flows and a prochamber on my 01 gt, and it sounds ok. I didnt like the way it sounded before the prochamber though. I personally prefer the sound of MAC mufflers. You can go to www.mustangexhaust.com and listen to several different combo's.

Here is the slp with stock manifolds and stock h-pipe on a 2003 gt, launching.

Here is another clip of slp on an 03 with the same setup, I guess the difference is one is launching the other isnt.

Here is a clip from a from a 00 gt with 2 chamber flows, stock h-pipe, and stock manifolds.

Just for good measures, here is a clip of a 00 gt, prochamber, stock manifolds, and MAC flowpaths.

Hope this helps.

TARZAN 04-05-2004 07:28 PM

FLOWMASTERS!!!!!!!!!!

-Will

Hammer 04-05-2004 09:28 PM

While I don't particularly like the sound....

If you are going for raising the exhaust note to some major decibels, Flowmaster is the one.
(Just don't drive by my house past 11 PM...) ;)

xxxBlakexxx 04-05-2004 11:23 PM

All I can say is that my SLP Loudmouth has been on order for over three weeks. It is supposed to ship this week, so I will let you know. Why did I choose this one and return my flowmasters?

1 - Loved the sound
2 - HP gains from the SLP that you don't get from the flows
3 - I wanted to be a tad different.

bigred90gt 04-06-2004 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hammer
While I don't particularly like the sound....

If you are going for raising the exhaust note to some major decibels, Flowmaster is the one.
(Just don't drive by my house past 11 PM...) ;)

While I can appreciate that, I have had flows with a stock h-pipe and headers., and while it is better than stock sound, it is not that loud and it certainly isnt great. There are many more mufflers that have a much greater performance gain as well as a boost in sound. Anything straight through will not only have a better sound, but it will not be chambered like the flows. If you have ever seen a disected flowmaster, they are very restricted in flow. If you like the sound of flows, go for them. I have 2 chambers on my 90 and my 01 and I am sooooooo ready for a new sound. Every other mustang on the road has flows, except for the smart few.

blownbyyou 04-06-2004 09:22 PM

Thanks guys,
Bigred90Gt, thanks for those links. I spent about two hours compairing exhaust and i think it is a toss up between the SLP Bassani , and yes Mac. I never realized how expensive exhaust systems have become. The one that i have on my 66 mustang is pretty cheap, although it is not much, just some 3 in pipe and race mufflers that dump out on the side. I still don't know which one to go with.

Hammer 04-06-2004 09:59 PM

Quote:

While I can appreciate that, I have had flows with a stock h-pipe and headers., and while it is better than stock sound, it is not that loud and it certainly isnt great. There are many more mufflers that have a much greater performance gain as well as a boost in sound. Anything straight through will not only have a better sound, but it will not be chambered like the flows. If you have ever seen a disected flowmaster, they are very restricted in flow. If you like the sound of flows, go for them. I have 2 chambers on my 90 and my 01 and I am sooooooo ready for a new sound. Every other mustang on the road has flows, except for the smart few.
I personally have never used flowmaster mufflers, but I know many that have some flow 2 chambers, and they are quite loud.
Some of this can of course be attributed to other after market exhaust pieces (some had high-flow H pipes), but they were certainly much louder than stock.
(I guess it all depends on how you define loud...)

When I had the 98, I actually used a MAC setup.

They sounded quite aggressive without being as annoying as some other setups... much less of a "drone" at cruise speed also.

I also like the sound of a DynoMax setup...

As far as horsepower...
Anyone expecting to see much of a difference (if at all) on a dyno by just replacing mufflers is in for a rude awakening....

explicitone 04-07-2004 04:34 PM

I would not go with flowmasters they are old tech. and dont flow that much over stock I would go with magnaflow magnapacks or slp I would stay awy from flows

JBeryleC 04-07-2004 08:37 PM

I spent a couple hours comparing all the sounds too! lol

Sounds to me like the MAC setup is the deepest agressive sounding. While the others are high pitched and annoying.

Except for Delta (2 chamber) Flowmasters, they are loud, and deep, yet not annoying. But not as deep and agressive as MAC.

I personally like the sound of MAC the best :)

Red Mustang Gt 46 04-08-2004 04:59 PM

My setup after 3 systems...Magnaflow stainless pipes with Mac stainless mufflers. I can't get over the sound...low rumble with just the right amount of backpressure.

JBeryleC 04-08-2004 05:01 PM

Yes, but you're cammed!! Big sound difference over stock mods.

Got a sound clip? I'd love to hear it :)

JBeryleC 04-09-2004 12:16 AM

Is the MAC Prochamber California smog legal??
And is the regular H pipe California smog legal??

I cant decide between the Delta 40's and the MAC mufflers.. Someone help me?? Do they really sound that much different??

I want wich ever is deeper, more aggressive, and throatier...
HELP!!

Also.. what size is my stock piping and muffler inlets/outlets?

Thanks! :)

explicitone 04-09-2004 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JBeryleC
Is the MAC Prochamber California smog legal??
And is the regular H pipe California smog legal??

I cant decide between the Delta 40's and the MAC mufflers.. Someone help me?? Do they really sound that much different??

I want wich ever is deeper, more aggressive, and throatier...
HELP!!

Also.. what size is my stock piping and muffler inlets/outlets?

Thanks! :)

the mac pro chamber is not cali smog legal

the stock piping is 2-1/4

JBeryleC 04-09-2004 01:30 AM

Ok, so is the MAC H-pipe (smog legal) worth the money to replace the stock H?

Or should I just keep the stock piping and just weld in some MAC mufflers?

JBeryleC 04-09-2004 01:47 AM

MAC has 3 different muffler sizes... anyone know if the sizes make a difference in the sound?

That sound clip at mustangexhaust.com for the '00 GT sounds real real good!! I wish I knew which exact muffler it is!!

Anyone out there running MAC mufflers on stock H and stock headers?? I would love to hear it.

explicitone 04-09-2004 02:12 AM

Quote:

Ok, so is the MAC H-pipe (smog legal) worth the money to replace the stock H?

Or should I just keep the stock piping and just weld in some MAC mufflers?

no cat is legal to be removed if the car has under 50k and or the cat is working

even the high flow catted mid pipes are not legal in cali due to the fact they only have 2 cats not 4 what most people do is buy a mid pipe that they like and when it comes time for the smog test they just swap them back to stock

and yes it will free up some power replacing the mid pipe but that cat back is done just for sound the most a bolt on 99+ Gt will pick up is maybe 2-5 if your lucky

JBeryleC 04-09-2004 01:00 PM

Yeah I figured it wasnt much of a power adder... 300-400 bucks for an H or X and only for 2-5 hp gain... maybe someday when I'm rich.. LOL

I think I'm just gonna stick the MAC's on there keeping all stock piping. We'll see how it goes :)
I'm just after the sound anyhow!

Thanks!

explicitone 04-09-2004 01:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah I figured it wasnt much of a power adder... 300-400 bucks for an H or X and only for 2-5 hp gain... maybe someday when I'm rich.. LOL

I think I'm just gonna stick the MAC's on there keeping all stock piping. We'll see how it goes :)

Thanks!

no the mid pipe (h-pipe,x-pipe ) is worth the money but the cat back is not

Red Mustang Gt 46 04-09-2004 03:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with adding a whole cat back but if money is a concern...having your stock muffs cut out and replacing them with aftermarkets ain't a bad move either...MORE AIR MORE POWER.

I'll try to get a sound clip soon...I'm busy modding my whole suspension this week...