MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-30-2001, 10:48 AM   #1
blueneonman1
Registered Member

Question Clutch problem

I have a '95 Mustang GT with a T-5 Tranny in it and factory clutch and parts. A couple days ago, I was driving normally in 3rd gear. Decided to drop it in 2nd and the clutch went almost limp. The sifter would not go into gear when the clutch was depressed. So I coasted to a parking lot and inspected the cable quadrant above the accelerator pedal. Cable is still attached to the quadrant and everything is in working order there. Next, I inspected the cable where it ties into the fulcrum lever at the bellhousing. Attached and working properly there too. Now I am stumped. I can't figure out what is wrong, but I think it may be the pressure plate. The car is drivable in one gear only, because it won't come out of gear unless the car is off and stopped. Clutch also still retains a minimal amount of slip, but basically clutch is not functioning. I race my car quite a bit also. Does anyone know what is wrong? Pressure plate or other problem? No gear grinding or anything, just no clutch. Thanks, Blueneonman.

------------------
Blueneonman - '95 5.0L Mustang GT Convertible | K&N Drop-in | FMS 9mm Wires | Hollow Cats | Flowmaster 2 Chambers | Subframes | 6-pt Rollcage | 14deg Timing | Coolest Neon Lighting on a Mustang EVER!
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 12:15 PM   #2
fordgasm
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Clutch fork problem? Stretched cable? Or maybe the clutch has just had it...

------------------
fordgasm
CLICK HERE to see my 87 GT
fordgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 07:05 PM   #3
blueneonman1
Registered Member

Fordgasm, could you explain a stretched cable? I hope it's just that, but I don't know for sure because I checked the cable at the quadrant and bellhousing and there is a little slack in it. Is slack normal? We're talking like I could pull down on it and it will sag, but when the pedal is pressed, the lever moves.

------------------
Blueneonman - '95 5.0L Mustang GT Convertible | K&N Drop-in | FMS 9mm Wires | Hollow Cats | Flowmaster 2 Chambers | Subframes | 6-pt Rollcage | 14deg Timing | Coolest Neon Lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Best time: 14.8 @94mph
Old 05-01-2001, 12:24 PM   #4
fordgasm
Registered Member

A stretched cable is one that has become longer in length than it's original length.

You could try pulling back on the clutch pedal and see if you can ratchet the quadrant. This will adjust the clutch...worth a try anyway.

I would start with the cable and then the quadrant. If that is not the problem you're going to have to pull the tranny and inspect the clutch.

It does sound like a more serious problem than the cable or quadrant though. How many miles on this clutch?

------------------
fordgasm
CLICK HERE to see my 87 GT
fordgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 04:29 PM   #5
blueneonman1
Registered Member

Well, thanks for the advise, but I took it into Ford today and they said it's probably the clutch disc and pressure plate. They said it would be weird that it went like that, but it happens sometimes. I think I have like 40k miles on it and I race heavily, so it's probably the clutch. So what I want to do now is get a performance clutch instead of the overexpensive Ford replacement. Maybe you could help me with a decision. Go to "performance clutch advise" article that i posted.

------------------

Best time: 14.8 @94mph