MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-04-2001, 06:10 PM   #1
Sonics2042
Registered Member

Post Crazy Problems (Long)(Help...hell damn crap!!)

Argh.

I have run into very few problems with my car since I have owned it (besides some alternator stuff), but I fear the times are a changin.

Here's the whole story...
I was going about 110 last night on this one straightaway on my way home. I have gone that fast before and it has always felt like I have plenty of power (speed) left. But last night it felt like I was near my top-end. I didn't really think to much of it, since I wasn't really trying to go faster, but it was odd. Then I stopped over at QFC (a few blocks from my house). When I left I drove for a few blocks and then started going up a hill on the way.

The hill is pretty steep, but nothing I have ever had problems with before. Usually I could accelerate up it no prob. But it never kicked up. I could only go up the hill @ 20 mph @ 1000 rpms even when it was floored. The engine was not racing either. (Good time to mention I have an automatic...). I kept saying "not good, not good, etc..". When I got to the top I turned right and punched it. It went up to 1200 RPMs, but there was no power. When I got in front of my house I tried rev'ving it in neutral and it revved fine (sounded fine and went up to like 3000 RPMs..)

So at this point I know something is wrong, but it's 12ish so there isn't much I can do. Today I started it and hoped for the best. When I turned out of my street I punched it and got some power out of it (just wanted to see something about 2k on the tach...) Everything seemed fine until I got to the freeway. When I got to the freeway I eased the accelerator down (just being careful...) I got to 50 no prob, but just to slowly accelerate from 50 to 60 caused the RPMs to rise above 3500. I could have gotten it higher, but I backed off (I wasn't even accelerating quickly.)

I am thinking this is a tranny problem (felt like I was stuck in like 4th when I was going up the hill, but it felt like I was stuck in 2nd on the highway...)

Any Idea?!?!?!

Car Info:
1990 Mustang 5.0 LX Hatchback
K&N Intake (otherwise stock)
103,000 Miles
Automatic Transmission
Recently changed to synthetic oil...
Sonics2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 07:13 PM   #2
PrplMonster
Registered Member

Question

I don't know how much this helps but... My friend mom was having the same problem with her Pontiac Minivan. It is an Auto. Well the problem was the Lockup torque converter. Since the computer was getting a faulty signal from the trans, the computer would activate a REALLY low rev-limiter type RPM(like 3500) again i don't know if this helps but.. it's worth a try...

.dave
PrplMonster is offline   Reply With Quote