MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-03-2001, 04:03 PM   #1
johndjmix
Registered Member

Post Programing new key

I just got back from my ford dealer, trying to get a new key made for my 99 GT. Since I have a vortech on the car i was watching their every move....turns out the guy was afraid programing the key with his "computer" might wipe out my custom vortech/superchips chip. I dont get it, cant you just program the key like Tbone suggested? Why do they want to do it with the computer connected to the diag connector? Also....what do I need to do to program the fob?

Tbone wrote:

Spare Key Programming
Note:
Service control modules require only one key to be programmed before allowing the vehicle to start. If a control module is changed, the technician must inform the customer to program any additional keys using the Spare Key Programming procedure detailed in the Owner Guide.

The system has capacity to store a maximum of 16 keys. After the initial key has been programmed or using any programmed key, follow the steps below:

Note:
Encoded keys must have correct mechanical key cut for vehicle.

l Cycle ignition switch from RUN to OFF with a programmed key.

l Within 15 seconds after this cycle, insert a new encoded key into ignition switch and turn to RUN or START.

l If programming is successful, the THEFT indicator will illuminate for two seconds and the control module will enable the vehicle to start.

l Repeat until all chosen keys have been programmed, up to 16 keys total.

l If programming is not successful, the THEFT indicator will:

-- Flash for one minute if no key code is received. The key is either damaged or is a non-encoded key. (Try a new key and start procedure over again.)

-- Flash for 15 minutes if key code is received yet engine is disabled. The key was not programmed successfully. Start procedure over again.

l If programming is not successful, possibly the new key was not inserted within 15 seconds, all 16 key codes have been stored, or the key is a non-encoded key. If the key was not encoded or inserted within 15 seconds, repeat procedure.

------------------
99 GT - 5 speed
Vortech SQ trim
Bassani X Pipe w/ cats
Flowmaster mufflers
Autometer gauges in dash pod

johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 11:02 PM   #2
johndjmix
Registered Member

I just found out I need 2 working keys to do it with just using the key. Im going to call superchips tommorow and ask how it can be done without wiping out their program.

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 11:09 AM   #3
T_Bone
Registered Member

Yeah, I think with the newer cars, you do need 2 original keys to program a spare. Is the fob the remote?

If so, and it's like the 96-97's, there is a connector in the trunk, drivers side, behind the carpet. It is next to the PATS module. Put the key in the ignition, turn it to on. Stick a screwdriver or something in the connector to short out the two pins in there-the door locks will cycle once to indicate programming mode is on. Then hit any button on each remote that you have for the car, one remote at a time. The door locks should again cycle with each remote to indicate successful programming. When you are done, turn the ignition key to off. The door locks will cycle one last time to indicate that programming mode is now off.

Good luck!

------------------
T-Bones 1997 Cobra#6342 born 6-11-97
Wht/blk, Pro 5.0,FRPP 4.56's, aluminum driveshaft, FRPP throttle body, C&L 80mm MAF, K&N, Steeda U/D pulleys, Steeda timing adjuster, Flowmasters, s/f connectors, FRPP pro springs, BBK caster/cambers.

My old 96GT
T_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote