MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-02-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
98gtman
Registered Member

Talking proud new owner

well i went and did it brought a ford!!!!! its a 98 mustang gt 4.6
shes yellow with black inter. very nice!!!!!!!! well post a pic of her next time very new here. WELL LETS START lol shes leaking antifrezze out the ther. housing tryed a new o ring no good it stops after shes warmed up, a little help on this one???? but man it is fast!!!! still all stock but the air cleaner k@n and how can i stop the doors from locking on her after i start her locked keys in side 3 times now and had it only 4 days any help would be great thanks
98gtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:45 PM   #2
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

Default Re: proud new owner

welcome to MWorks
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Welcome to MustangWorks!!

Yellow 98 GT's are awesome. Wanna really feel a part of something big, check out www.yellowmustangregistry.com. It is a whole club dedicated to yellow Mustangs, and they put on cruises and events all over the country.

Your antifreeze problem is common, the 4.6 has a plastic intake manifold. This is all well and good except for the front which passes hot coolant from one head to the other, and they get cracked, either at the thermostat housing or across the runner behind the alternator. I have had to replace the manifold on my 97 GT and on my 98 GT. My sister-in-law had it happen on her 97 T-Bird too. The good news is Ford has figured this out. The new replacements (my 97 got another all plastic intake) have a metal runner on the front, aluminum I think, so when it is fixed, it stays fixed.

Ford had a recall on this manifold, chances are you can get it fixed under the recall. Check with your local Ford dealer. If not, the new manifold is about $250 and you can replace it yourself. Be careful to take all the parts off the old manifold one at a time and set on the new one, so you know where they go. Then when the old one is off, transfer them from the new one to the old one, then start replacing the manifold. Its a big job, but it's not really hard.

Be sure and post some pics soon!

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 06:16 AM   #4
explicitone
Registered Member

Welcome to Mustang Works

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #5
98gtman
Registered Member

try a paper gasket between the plastic ther. housing and the upper hose thing no leaks now is this going to be ok?????
Old 11-09-2004, 12:31 AM   #6
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

If it don't leak it will work, you're lucky. Mine cracked behind the alternator on my 97, right after the coolest burnout I ever did in it, too. On the 98 it cracked around the thermostat housing, and just like you and the other guy posting, it was leaking when I bought it. We tried silicone sealant, O-rings, everything, but it still leaked.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Old 11-09-2004, 04:54 PM   #7
98gtman
Registered Member

Default My fingers are crossed

But It looks like im going to have replace this piece of plastic some time in the future, plastic on a hot engine Hmmm, sounds like that guy was sniffing plastic when he though of that design lol, O well what we going to do I know lets all sniff some plastic and design a car. Also got me some new tires for it today i hope i spell tis right WAHL i think but a nice tire for a great price 76.00 each looks like the firestone may be goodyear 250.00 tire these tires are rated at 195 miles a hour and very sharp the tread looks like there will be great in the rain and just wet roads. Sure i say it the four letter word SNOW hate it to dam cold and wet!!!! But all in all Im happy just to have the chance to drive this car. I f you have any thing to says about these let me know that are one of the fastest selling tires here in michigan.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:58 PM   #8
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Before you get snowed in up there in Michigan for the winter, be sure and take some pictures and post them on here!

Old 11-10-2004, 04:45 PM   #9
98gtman
Registered Member

I will upload some pictures i think the other forem just look for proud new owner and i throw in a pic of my other toy
Old 11-10-2004, 04:52 PM   #10
98gtman
Registered Member

Cant do it says files are to big what do i do make them 640 by 480?
Old 11-10-2004, 06:51 PM   #11
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Go to edit pictures, and resize by 50%, that will usually do it

Old 11-11-2004, 04:52 PM   #12
98gtman
Registered Member

lets try this one that work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resize of PA310004.JPG (37.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-13-2004, 07:12 AM   #13
98gtman
Registered Member

Also one final note I brought this car for 6300.00 the more i look at these cars i think i got a good deal i hope, it has 89000 on her a few miles on her but all in all no black or smelly smoke coming out of her and runs very smooth still. Well was this a good deal?
Old 11-14-2004, 12:19 AM   #14
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

That sounds like a great deal to me. I paid $11,250 last October for my son's 98 GT with 44,800 miles on it, but it was PERFECT. It has only gotten better as he has added exhaust, rims, springs, and lots of other stuff.

Your picture looks great too!

Old 11-14-2004, 06:39 AM   #15
98gtman
Registered Member

I went and looked at that web site for yellow mustangs very cool
thank you had no idea mustangs had so many followers there is so much i can do to this car it blows my mind away my wife thinks im crazy but boy it will be fun spending money on this car. just to see how fast i can go. Ive had fast cars before but where always carbs and big blocks. these cars were great but always so heavy that was there problem to dam heavy and those dam carbs just cant match fuel injecters. I was at the ford dealer friday there all know about the intakes but no recalls on them. Why doest ford care about this?
also seen some 2004 ford saleens the int. has not really change at all, looks just like my 98 dashboard but now white gauges. Hmm i think if you have a good thing go with it right? but the the ther. housing still leaks a very little still but when she all warm up no leaks at all. Hope she holds till next spring to dam cold now to do a tear down now. But if I had to I would, I seen the new intakes all alum. in the front with that plastic for the valves still. This car i brought was off a use car lot came with a warrerty im going to check in to it cause it covers intakes but not the fluids no big deal let the dealers fix it, i think there can have it done in a few days.If this warrery covers it that would be cool.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:35 PM   #16
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool Re: proud new owner

Welcome and congrats on the car.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote