MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-27-2000, 11:44 AM   #1
Ripper
Registered Member

Thumbs down Pulley Install

Let me first say that I'm no mechanic, not even close. Good thing I have a friend who can work wonders with cars. I bought pulleys from Steeda and tried using their directions. They were absolutely horrible. Too much info was left out and it took a lot longer to install than it should. I've written to Steeda and I'm waiting for their reply. The pulleys are great and they really make a difference. If anyone is considering them, let me know and I'll tell you some things you'll need to know.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2000, 05:29 PM   #2
BLK99GT
Registered Member

Question

I'm looking to get a set of pulleys for my 99GT.How much is the steeda set ? I know im gonna need help with the alt pulley and have to borrow a puller but what gave you trouble? also are they all black? Thanks

------------------
1999 GT AODE ,MAC cold air kit,ATS-III seq. turn signals
BLK99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2000, 08:03 PM   #3
Ripper
Registered Member

Unhappy

Steeda's pulleys are great pieces. I paid $189 for them. The trouble is that Steeda doesn't tell you a few details. I had a friend do all the tough work. First, they tell you to put the car up on jackstands or ramps which is not necessary (maybe for auto trans). The alternator pulley is easy if you move the radiator overflow tank out of the way (easy). This allows you to get a straight shot at the bolt with the impact wrench. The real problem is with the harmonic balancer bolt. You need to remove the fan, disconnect wiring, in order to get a straight shot with the impact wrench. It wouldn't come off going at it at an angle. Next,we had the car in 1st gear and the bolt wouldn't come out. We put it in 5th and the thing came right out. The last thing is a washer that is placed in front of the crankshaft, remove it (Steeda fails to say this), before putting on the 3 bolt puller. You'll definitely notice the difference in performance.
Old 04-12-2000, 07:15 PM   #4
BLK99GT
Registered Member

I ordwered the steeda pullies and they should be here soon.I re-use the same belt right? Thanks for the info

------------------
1999 GT AODE ,MAC cold air kit,ATS-III seq. turn signals
BLK99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2000, 03:12 PM   #5
Ripper
Registered Member

Yes, use the same belt. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I was away on business.