MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-05-2000, 12:35 PM   #1
King Snake
Registered Member

Post Undercharge Pullies??

Ok, I think I have asked this before but now that I am seriously thinking about adding some underdrives I just want to verify a couple of thing, and there is no better source for this verification than the actual people who drive and love thier Mustangs and have added pullies themselves!
What I really want to know is how pullies effect the charging system and A/C, such as do they cause the lights to dim at idle or cause a reduction in battery life, and do they effect the performance of the air conditioner? I live in middle Georgia, and I have to have my A/C. 10-15 hp sounds very appealing, but I don't want to have to "sweat it" in more ways than one when I am caught in standstill traffic in the middle of the summer. Those BBK polished aluminum ones sure look sweet!

------------------
'97 Cobra, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, Rio Red
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2000, 01:27 PM   #2
96SNAKE
Registered Member

They do give power and make the car rev much easier without a doubt. They also don't really effect charging although lately I have experienced some dimming at idle but this is after having the pulleys for two years. I think it's due to my idle being slower for something unrelated..

-What you must be careful with is the crank pulley when you install it. I have heard a few horror stories of engines being destoyed from improperly installed pulleys. The reason for this is that if the crank pulley isn't tightened down correctly, something happens between the crankshaft and cam. I know I'm not explaining this completely accurate but it's true. I picked up my Bassani X-pipe and my C&L from another Cobra owner who blew his engine from the pulleys installed improperly.

-Just make sure the crank pulley is as close to the engine block as possible when completed, with no wobble at all.

------------------
formerly 96cobra89lx306

(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Saleen copy-polished 18's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(gutted),C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower before gutting the X pipe
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2000, 03:53 PM   #3
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I have Steeda underdrive pulleys and haven't had any trouble. The cannon of an AC still works fine.

The horror stories are usually a result of the crank pulley being under-torqued. You got to torque it to 60 ft lbs (if I remember right) then back it off a 1/4 turn, then crank it down to 114-116 ft lbs.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2000, 09:41 AM   #4
King Snake
Registered Member

Charging ok, A/C works well, sounds like I may be installing some pullies. I know the Steedas are probably the best, but how about the BBKs, March, or Hypertech? And are they really as easy to install as the ads claim? Thanks guys for the great information. By the way, did you guys see the article in MM&FF about gaining 10 hp by running 4 qts. of oil insteat of 5 qts.???
Old 12-06-2000, 11:06 AM   #5
cobrayankee
Registered Member

Go get em' ! I lived in Florida up until 2 weeks ago. I installed them before summer and cranked that AC full blast for 3 months straight. No problems. No light dimming problems either.

------------------
1997 Cobra (Black on black), C+L 80mm MAF, K+N filter, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, ASP Pulleys, BBK off road H pipe.
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 02:32 AM   #6
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Two things:

One, ironically enough I had some charging issues tonight (first time). They were the generic problems, basically I had the heater blasting, the stereo cranked, and all the lights on. The lights dimmed a bit. I touched the throttle (maybe 2000 RPMs) and it went back to normal. First time I noticed anything, but FYI.

As far as pulleys: ASP and Steeda although after a lot of debate, turn out to be almost exactly the same, but made by different people. I've never heard anyting particularly bad about March, Brother's(BBK), or Steedas or ASP. Avoid piggy-back style.

Just because they have been put under that much more scrutiny I'd drop the extra $20 bucks and go with Steeda or ASP.

As far as install... Roughly as easy (nothing is as easy is its suposed to be). Figure a Saturday afternoon. But if the instructions don't mention 114-116 ft lbs of torque, call! Mine didn't. I heard from here. Call and asked, and Steeda verified their mistake. Steeda's pricy, but they do back up their products very well and actually offer unrelated technical support.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 10:55 AM   #7
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

I have my SVO pulleys sitting in a box waiting to be installed. I should get time to do them in the next week, so I'll let you know if I have any problem w/ the "piggy back" style pulleys.
Thanks for the torque specification tips guys, the SVO only says 60 ft lbs's, but I'll give them a call.
I read the MM&FF article about windage and how they picked up 10HP by using 4qts of oil.
If you check out the dyno chart, that motor is anything but a stock motor w/ bolt on's. I don't have the mag here, but if I remember right it was well over 400HP. I don't think there would be anything near 10HP to gain on a stock motor w/ bolt on's. it maybe worth it for a pass at the strip, but I would never consider it for the street. Synthetic oil gives a 1-2% increase in HP, so thats 2-6HP for some of us, thats fine w/ me.

[This message has been edited by 91LX2Bfast (edited 12-07-2000).]
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 11:45 AM   #8
King Snake
Registered Member

Yeah, I would also be very hesitant to run my car with a low oil level. The main point of the article was the fact that with a normal oil level, the crank "whips" the oil in the pan and heats it up. I suppose the friction from the whipping would also use a little power. Sounds crazy to me. I will continue to use 5 quarts of Mobil 1.....
Old 12-07-2000, 12:37 PM   #9
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Um guys.. the 4.6 is supposed to run 6 quarts of oil.. right? i hope..
Old 12-07-2000, 01:20 PM   #10
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

96Snake,
That's what my dealership told me (6) even though my owners manual says 5 quarts. Actually when I change my oil it likes a little over 5 1/2.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Both are slow but easy on the eyes!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 01:44 PM   #11
LI STANG
Registered Member

Question

6 quarts? After I put in 5 and the dipstick still reads above the mark. 99 gt
LI STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 01:59 PM   #12
96SNAKE
Registered Member

I can swear my manual says 6> I know that in 96 they had the "GREAT DIPSTICK DEBACLE" This involved many of us getting dipsticks of varying lengths so nobody knew what the hell was going on when it came to how much oil was in their engine. I sure hope they aren't screwing this up on the new cars.

Somebody else chime in here for sure on the owner's manual but I would bet the ranch it calls for 6. If it doesn't, I've been over filling my car for the last two and a half years..
Old 12-07-2000, 02:07 PM   #13
King Snake
Registered Member

I said 5 but I was thinking of my old 5.0. With a new filter (every oil change) I am pretty sure mine does take 6 qts, maybe a little less. I'll check my manual later. I am not sure what the 2V takes.
Old 12-07-2000, 04:04 PM   #14
Stefan
Registered Member

Question

Just checked my manual (96 GT) and it does say 5.0 quarts with filter (4.7 litres). If I only put 5 in the light will come on. I asked at my dealer a while ago and one of the service guys told me it's definately 6 quarts.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Both are slow but easy on the eyes!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 06:15 PM   #15
RAS 96GT
Registered Member

Cool

Yes,... I'ts 6 quarts on the 4.6 and maybe just a hair over.

As far as pullies, I've had steeda for almost a year and no probs. Careful- Steeda was printing a certain lbs/Torque then changed it. Its in the directions to disregard the setting on a prior date listed. Call to confirm.

------------------
-Rich Lazer Red 96GT, K&N, Steeda Pullies, Mobile 1 Synth, NGK TR55s,Pro 5.0 Shifter, 3.27 Gears, and more to come.
RAS 96GT is offline   Reply With Quote