MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-05-2002, 07:55 PM   #1
BryantD
Registered Member

Default Putting down the money for Supercharger, which one?

Looking for last minute opinions. I've been studying for several months about every type of forced induction I could find for a "02 GT (5-speed) convertible. The only mods I've done is K&N and 3.73 gears. I was planning on all the usual mods to make a strong NA motor but have decided to go FI. I have brand new Steeda U/D Pulleys in my closet (they are for sale!). I've decided Supercharging over Turbo and Centrifugal over Roots. The issue I have is deciding between the Paxton & the Vortech, specifically the Novi 1000 w/ Air to Air Intercooler ands the SQ w/ Water to Air Aftercooler. Obviously from the few mods mentioned I have stock internals (12K fun miles on them) so I will be shooting for 10psi, no more. My eventual goals are 400rwhp safely. It will be a street car though I might take it to the track every now and then. I'm leaning ever so slightly to the Novi 1000 because of the slightly quicker spooling and Air to Air IC (but it will cost me $68 more than the SQ installed ). Opinions anyone???????
Novi 1000 with Paxton Air to Air Intercooler
Delta Chip (Tuned by Reinhart Automotive)
38lb Injectors
90mm Lightning MAF (threaded IAT sensor for Lightning and IAT plug from '93 Taurus wiring harness) relocated between the blower & throttle body
255lph Fuel Pump
Autometer A-Pillar (Dual) with Vacuum/Boost Gauge & Exhaust Gas Temperature Gauge
Motorcraft AWSF22C sparkplugs (.030 gap)
Bassani X-Pipe with Cats
Dyno #'s: 328.4rwhp & 340.9rwtq
BryantD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 08:02 PM   #2
jj_jonathon
Trisket

lol, I have no experience with S/Cs but its kinda funny that youre looking at a difference of $68 so closely on products that are worth approx $2500 or so just in box......its smart too tho

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 09:50 AM   #3
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Default Custom Tune Most Important

Bryan - I've had a Vortech for about six months now and have had no problems to date. I have learned that probably the single biggest item to be concerned with is the ability to have your car custom dyno tuned once the SC is installed. Both Paxton and Vortech make excellent products which will be very reliable and very powerful, however if you do not have easy access to a shop with a dyno and the expertise to tune your SC'ed car you're not going to get near the potential or your desired safe 400 rwhp. I am currently going through the giant pain in the rear of scheduling someone to actually come to my town to custom tune my car (unless someone can recommend a local mastermind tuner for Jacksonville, FL.....please, please, someone give me a strong recommendation). A local shop has tapped me into someone who is suppose to be a "genius" at tuning a 4.6 with a supercharger, but he is not local, so I'll get custom programs for my computer, but this is NOT to be considered a custom tune by any means (I have gotten significant power gains via this remote tuning, but I am also risking my engine because the first round of this I had significant detonation). You must have someone actually lay hands on your car with a dyno to get it right. Anyways, good luck!
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
Steeda Lower Control Arms
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

New Track Times Coming Soon
SleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 03:13 PM   #4
BryantD
Registered Member

Default Re: Custom Tune Most Important

Quote:
Originally posted by SleeperGT
Bryan - I've had a Vortech for about six months now and have had no problems to date. I have learned that probably the single biggest item to be concerned with is the ability to have your car custom dyno tuned once the SC is installed. Both Paxton and Vortech make excellent products which will be very reliable and very powerful, however if you do not have easy access to a shop with a dyno and the expertise to tune your SC'ed car you're not going to get near the potential or your desired safe 400 rwhp. I am currently going through the giant pain in the rear of scheduling someone to actually come to my town to custom tune my car (unless someone can recommend a local mastermind tuner for Jacksonville, FL.....please, please, someone give me a strong recommendation). A local shop has tapped me into someone who is suppose to be a "genius" at tuning a 4.6 with a supercharger, but he is not local, so I'll get custom programs for my computer, but this is NOT to be considered a custom tune by any means (I have gotten significant power gains via this remote tuning, but I am also risking my engine because the first round of this I had significant detonation). You must have someone actually lay hands on your car with a dyno to get it right. Anyways, good luck!
I decided on the Novi 1000 with the Air to Air IC. The shop here in Austin doing the install can do the custom dyno tune but since I plan on polishing & porting my heads (along with regrinding the cams for the SC) I'm holding off on the long tube headers, H-pipe w/ cats and catback exhaust. so I'm just going to use the Paxton chip with the Novi for now. I know it will run rich compared to a dyno tune but with the intercooler and 9 to 10 psi I should be pretty safe until I get the heads worked. Anyway thanks for the input.
Novi 1000 with Paxton Air to Air Intercooler
Delta Chip (Tuned by Reinhart Automotive)
38lb Injectors
90mm Lightning MAF (threaded IAT sensor for Lightning and IAT plug from '93 Taurus wiring harness) relocated between the blower & throttle body
255lph Fuel Pump
Autometer A-Pillar (Dual) with Vacuum/Boost Gauge & Exhaust Gas Temperature Gauge
Motorcraft AWSF22C sparkplugs (.030 gap)
Bassani X-Pipe with Cats
Dyno #'s: 328.4rwhp & 340.9rwtq
BryantD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:21 AM   #5
coolie1
Registered Member

hey sleeper have u tryed mustang moter sport in orange park?
coolie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:15 AM   #6
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Default MMW

Yea, that's who I'm currently working with.
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's