MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Question About Noise In Steering Gear

I recently put new bolt-on OEM outer tie rods on my 2001 GT because the car was in an accident earlier this year in which one had to be replaced..I replaced both later because I think they should wear evenly..Anyway I drive the car moderately with occasional heavy acceleration on the highway to work but since my clutch problems in my older GT I always make sure I shift cleanly..and when I brake to a stop I'll shift down to third and let go if theres' enough time but will hold the clutch until stopped otherwise then neutral...the reason I'm telling this is because I'm getting a noticeable ratcheting sound in the steering gear when turning, both with the clutch depressed and without. I'd like to know whether this could be related to crappy tie rods or a clutch problem (throwout bearing or flywheel, possibly). Thanks.