MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-05-2001, 02:53 PM   #1
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up Quick speaker ? (I know, I know wrong forum...)

My 96GT has the Mach 460 with CD/ Cassette and the lower door speakers are getting a little rough sounding. I was told before that not all speakers will work with the Mach 460. A friend gave me some nice Pioneer 5x7's for free so I thought if they'd work I'd put them in. Do I have to stick with Ford stuff or will the Pioneers work? I just thought I'd ask quickly before I ripped the door panel off and wasted my time. Thanks for any replies.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 04:10 PM   #2
Power
Registered Member

Hey bro, I did a little research for ya and found out a couple of things.

First, I am not positive on this but it sounds like the Mach 460 might need speakers rated at 8 ohms. The only Pioneer 5x7's I could find were the TS-A5713's, which were rated at 4 ohms. Its possible to change the resistance but I wouldn't recomend it. Another thing to check out is that I believe your doors have ports inside so that air can flow through the door(don't they all?!). When you pull your door apart try putting some dampener inside your door around the speaker, in a sense isolating the speaker. This will force it to move air into the car instead of fluttering inside the door. Also, I have heard the stock speakers aren't too good and tend to lose the elasticity of the cone over time. And any speaker if it doesnt have correct air movement will eventually lose the voice coil due to underthrow of the cone. Hope this helps.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 04:54 PM   #3
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Yup,
They are the Pioneer 5x7 TS-A573's. So I guess they won't work because of the ohm difference? Does that mean that I'm am stuck replacing with the Ford Mach 460 speakers ( I think they might be Blaupunkt)? Thanks so much for the research on your part... maybe we can get this figured out.

Thanks again,

Brett

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 05-06-2001, 05:18 PM   #4
Power
Registered Member

Ok, I did some more checking but I can't verify that the Mach 460 has to have 8 ohm speakers. From your post I'm guessing you are not running an amp for your front speakers, just plugging into the wire. The best thing I could tell you right now is to either test the ohm rating yourself or take it into a shop.

If you want to do it yourself it gets kinda complicated. You will need a Volt-a-meter to do it as well. If the volt-a-meter doesn't have an ohm setting(mine doesn't) then you can get the ohms by a couple different formulas.

Ready??

ok..

1.Volts / Amps = Ohms
2.Volts x Volts / Watts = Ohms
3.Watts / Amps x Amps = Ohms

/ is division
x is multiplication

On another note, I think there is a few companies that make 8 ohm speakers, but not a lot. 8 ohm is mainly home stereo or specialized hanging subs.

I would test and be positive the Mach 460 is indeed an 8 ohm unit before scrapping the Pioneers. If you amp the pioneers you can bridge the amp for 8 ohms if you were so inclined. I'm not trying to shoot down your hopes here, hopefully I can help some.
Old 05-06-2001, 05:31 PM   #5
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Power:

If you amp the pioneers you can bridge the amp for 8 ohms if you were so inclined.
Sorry, that should read 4 ohmsinstead of 8 ohms.

Old 05-07-2001, 09:07 AM   #6
Stefan
Registered Member

Again thanks for the effort Power. I know diddly about the tech side of stereos and speakers so I might just play it safe and ask a local car audio shop to help me out. To answer your previous question everything stereo-wise right now in the car IS stock. No extra amps or anything. Would it hurt the system to plug in the Pioneer even if it didn't have the same ohm rating? I don't want to ruin anything but it would be a shame not to be able to use my free speakers

Thanks again for the help

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 05-07-2001, 10:29 AM   #7
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Not an expert on this sort of thing, but I believe the Mach 460 is run though the two amps in the trunk, IE the head unit doesn't power anything.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 02:25 PM   #8
MajorTwit
Registered Member

Yikes, been a long time since I looked at my ohm's law formulas. Can't even find them. Anyway, speakers are rated for impedence, which is AC resistance, not DC resistance, which your meter will measure.

------------------
2K GT Stock
FoolRichard
MajorTwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 01:18 PM   #9
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MajorTwit:
Yikes, been a long time since I looked at my ohm's law formulas. Can't even find them. Anyway, speakers are rated for impedence, which is AC resistance, not DC resistance, which your meter will measure.

Sorry for the delay...I'm not in this forum too much.

Mine...

note the measuring of AC and DC. The way I quoted is by no means the best way to measure values of a 12 volt system but I watered it down to make it simple and non confusing. Good to see more electronic guys around though...

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289, Manual 3-speed, Edelbrock 650, Flowmaster 3-chambers, and minor upgrades. Interior work includes custom paneling, custom dash dress-up(I refuse to cut anything out of the original), Rewiring most of the electronics, Porsche 911 seats installed soon, and Stroker kit when I get to Texas. November of 2001 I will go back to Dallas.
Old 05-10-2001, 02:05 PM   #10
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Again guys, much thanks for the info.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop