MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-17-2000, 08:58 AM   #1
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool Ragtop care

Can anyone share the products they use on their convertible tops? Mine is in good shape but does need some cleaning. It has a few dark stains behind the rear quarter glass where maybe some grease from the "internals" got on it. I just wanted some guidance for products and care before I spent my money on something that doesn't work. Thanks in advance.

The ragtop is Saddle colored.

Thanks
stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers(not installed yet), Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
K&N (more to come)
Where'd my money go?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2000, 11:58 AM   #2
cobra 4.6
Registered Member

When you wash your car, use only car wash solutions with NO phosphates in the ingrediants. Most places recommend putting absolutely nothing on the top as far as protectorants. If you must, then pour some in a bowl and dip a small sponge into the bowl of protectorant, and wipe the top. You do not want that stuff collecting in the seams of your top as it will eat the threads away. To clean the top, buy a good quality rug/fabric cleaner and always test in a small spot first to make sure it will not stain. Like any fabric, if the stain sets in, you are screwed. The only commercial stuff that I know of made for convertible tops is from Mother's line of waxes and such. I have yet to use it, so I will not recommended yet. Hope this helps.

------------------
1997 Cobra Covertible, K&N air filter and Kenny Brown SFC's so far.
cobra 4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2000, 03:56 PM   #3
dave5872
Registered Member

Hi Stefan,
I had a 96 GT conv up until a few months ago when I traded it in on a new Cobra and I too had problems keeping the damn top clean. I tried all these products that were supposed to work and none of them did. Sometime in 98, I got tired of it and put clorox on it and scrubbed the hell out of it. Believe it or not, it made it look 10x better and I never had a problem with it damaging the top in the 18 months I had it afterwards. I really took a BIG chance doing this and it probably was a stupid thing to do, so I would hesitate before I would recommend you do the same, especially since my top was white. Problems keeping the top clean are one of the main reasons I went with the Cobra coupe rather than another GT conv.
dave5872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2000, 05:21 PM   #4
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tips. I broke down and bought a top cleaner by a company called Lifter 1 this past weekend. It worked great and took every stain out. The top looks brand new. I will watch what I put on it from here on out so the seams don't start going out on me. Thanks again I appreciate the input. The car is going in it's first show on the 20th so I am giving it a work over.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers(not installed yet), Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
K&N (more to come)
Where'd my money go?
Old 05-11-2000, 08:44 AM   #5
RagTop MustangGT
Registered Member

Where did you get that lifter 1 from? Since it worked so well, I think I would like to give it a shot.

------------------
2000 Mustang GT Convertible
GT Feature Car
Tripple Black

(Bone Stock)
RagTop MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2000, 12:40 PM   #6
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

I got it at O'Rielley's Auto Parts. It is in a red spray can and was like $5 or so. If there isn't an O'Reilley's in your area let me know and I'll post the address of the company (I'm at work now so it's not in front of me).

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers(not installed yet), Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
K&N (more to come)
Where'd my money go?
Old 05-11-2000, 08:04 PM   #7
RagTop MustangGT
Registered Member

Nope, dont have that store around here.
RagTop MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2000, 08:20 AM   #8
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Here's the scoop:

Lifter 1 Products
PO Box 3816
Shawnee Mission ,KS 66208

1-800-Lifter-1

Let me know if this helps.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Splitfire plugs (they were free - don't laugh).
K&N, removed air silencer (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust