MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-18-2001, 08:52 AM   #1
EC98GTcnvrtble
Registered Member

Question Ram air vs Throttle body??

I'm now the proud owner of a 98 gt convertible, I've changed the pulleys on it and would like to make it breathe a little better. I've changed the stock filter to a k&n, but was thinking about adding a ram air kit. Would this give me a few more horses or would it be better to just change to a bigger throttle body or add a spacer to the throttle body, what are your thoughts?? P.S. I had posted this to the guys at Windsor Power and got a few responses, just wanted to see what you guys think, thanks.
EC98GTcnvrtble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 12:28 PM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I hope I dont offend you EC98GT, but the main restrictions in the pre 99 4.6's breathing is in the heads. I've heard that A larger THrottle body on the earlier 4.6's actually hurts power.

I'd either go with means of forced induction, even if its only Ram-Air. Or save up for a set of 99 heads and intake.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list
2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax
64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 01:03 PM   #3
EC98GTcnvrtble
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury:
I hope I dont offend you EC98GT, but the main restrictions in the pre 99 4.6's breathing is in the heads. I've heard that A larger THrottle body on the earlier 4.6's actually hurts power.

I'd either go with means of forced induction, even if its only Ram-Air. Or save up for a set of 99 heads and intake.

No offense taken, I'm new at this so any feedback is greatly appreciated. So you say a ram air kit would help until i can buy the heads and intake manifolds? I was between an FIPK from k&n or the ram air kit from March, not sure which to go with.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:14 AM   #4
King Snake
Registered Member

I recommend avoiding the FIPK because you do not want to run an open filter element in the engine compartment. I will allow more flow, but you will be pulling in hot air which will actually decrease power. I suggest either the ram air or a cold air intake that relocated the filter (or even the MAF) inside the fenderwell.

------------------
'97 Cobra, Rio Red, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, NGK V-Power
BBK H-pipe w/cats
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 03:24 PM   #5
EC98GTcnvrtble
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by King Snake:
I recommend avoiding the FIPK because you do not want to run an open filter element in the engine compartment. I will allow more flow, but you will be pulling in hot air which will actually decrease power. I suggest either the ram air or a cold air intake that relocated the filter (or even the MAF) inside the fenderwell.

Thks for the input, i'll probably go with the ram-air, what about an exhaust system, Dynomax or Flowmaster, I don't want anything real loud but would like something better than stock...

Old 06-20-2001, 07:31 AM   #6
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

May I suggest a C&L 80mm maf? Or anything listed in my signature, potent combo!

------------------
1998 Mustang Gt
C&L 80mm
Steeda Underdrives
Steeda Tri-Ax
Magnaflows

Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 09:37 AM   #7
EC98GTcnvrtble
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Mustang Gt 46:
May I suggest a C&L 80mm maf? Or anything listed in my signature, potent combo!

Tks Red Mustang, What's the stock size on the MAF, I gues 80 mm would make a big difference on how it breathes if it's much bigger than stock, will this make the car run hotter? Also is there a website that offers the steeda tri-ax, that's the shifter isn't it? Did it shorten your throw?
Old 06-20-2001, 10:53 PM   #8
46stang
Registered Member

if you want to save a few bucks, you could relocate your fog lamps to the inside and build your self a ram air kit from home depot for like $20-$25. it would scoop the air right where the fog lamp was. my personal recomendation would be to get an x or h pipe, to get rid of your 6 cats on your car, then a maf sensor, then gears.jmho. it's a good start. they will give you the best bang for the buck, until you step up to some svo or 99 heads
fyi, your stock maf is 80mm but the c&l is much more free flowing

------------------
96 stang,ported 99 heads, 99 intake, 99 cams,Steeda power pullies,Kirban adj.reg.,Pro-m 87,24#inj.,70mm t/b,BBK longtube headers,Bassani x-pipe w/cats, Dynomax ultraflow catback,iat mod, home depot ram air, k@n,373's,cobra brakes,fms spings, tri-ax shifter.
best et 13.80
best mph 103.3
bfg street tires,bakersfield, ca
46stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 12:25 PM   #9
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Thumbs up

I've got a Rousch Cold Air kit for sale if you want it...
I'll even throw in a K&N filter and recharge kit...
Email me if you're interested...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
Ricer 1: What the heck was that!?
Ricer 2: I don't know. It looked kind of like a yellow SN95 Mustang.
Ricer 1: Nah, fast SN95 Mustangs don't exist... Must have been a mirage or something...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 07:32 PM   #10
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Go with a cold air kit that puts the filter in the fender or a ram air kit. The ram air kit will help feed the cooler outside air to the air filter but it doesn't actually "ram" or force air in untill you've reached speeds in excess of 100 mph (about 117 mph from what I've read). On my 96 Mustang GTS where the right fog light was supposed to be I just used 4 inch clothes dryer ducting and ran two tubes side by side from the fog light hole to the hole in the fender where the air silencer used to go. Worked very well but, as with any ram air kit, you'll have to keep the filter cleaned more often because of debris that will get blown on to it (bugs, etc.). Cost only about $4 for "ram air".

Also get some 3.73s in that thing at least. Gears make a huge difference. I would go with 4.10s minimum since you have a heavy vert. Your gas mileage will hardly suffer at all. And the car will be considerably quicker. Get a better X or H pipe and get rid of the 6 cat stock H pipe. Also replace the cat back with a better flowing one. Magnaflow, Dynomax, Bassani, Borla, Flowmaster are much better than stock. I didn't even have mufflers on my 96 but to each his own, . If you want to keep your sound down get a high flow catalytic pipe. Don't get an off road pipe because it will be considerably louder.

------------------
1994 Red SVT Lightning #2019

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 06-22-2001).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote