MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-27-2002, 06:44 PM   #1
PKRWUD

Default Ramblings from a guy named Chris

I have several subjects I felt like mentioning, but none of them justified their own thread, so I decided to group them into one post. Bear with me.

The weather here has been in the 80's for two weeks now, and has me worried about what it will be like when Winter finally ends. We have only had 3 inches of rain since October, and our rainy season ends in April. I don't see how we're going to reach our 14" average. Poor Skyman has been in the 90's this whole time.

I can't stand it when people pronounce the word "asked", "axed".

What's up with all of the commercials I've seen lately on TV with girls who look like they might be 13 selling hair dye and makeup??? Give me a break.

I just discovered that Danny Pearl, the reporter killed in Pakistan, and I, went to high school together. He was a senior at Birmingham HS in Van Nuys, Ca. while I was a sophmore there. I don't remember him, but it still leaves a strange feeling in my gut.

Lastly, I just found out how the season finale' will end for ER this year, and I'm upset about it. I don't watch that much TV, but that show is one I watch religiously, and the ending this year really sucks.

Well, that's it for now. Thanks for letting me share.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:13 PM   #2
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

80's! 90's! Must be nice. It's going to be 12 degrees here tonight - WITHOUT the wind chill.

Sorry to hear about the no rain issue.

The whole Pearl thing is just weird. Tragic event for sure.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:17 PM   #3
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

yeah i feel bad about the pearl thing but he acceoted the riska nd took a chancce. It didn't pay off this time. I really don't see why reporters and journalists put themselves in that kind of danger. To each their own i guess. How much do they get paid btw? that is probably the motivating factor

JAMES
Old 02-27-2002, 07:45 PM   #4
PKRWUD

I agree that what he did was his business, and his demise was ultimately his own doing, but it just feels weird to know that he and I may have bumped shoulders in high school. It's hard to explain. Just leaves me feeling weird.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-27-2002, 09:54 PM   #5
gt lee

Hey have to vent sometimes. The weather is crazy we are all going to be sick, it drives me crazy to here axed too the girsl well you know how comercials are all for the glory and flaunting of young ladys, I would feel kinda weird too, like you said what if you two did bump sholders, and last but not least I too will miss ER thats a great show and hate to see it go. well take care
Old 02-27-2002, 10:15 PM   #6
PKRWUD

My understanding is that ER will still be on the air, it's just that a very important part of it won't. Don't want to spoil it for others, but it's going to really suck.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-28-2002, 12:35 AM   #7
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Cool :)

I havent watched TV in ages, but I used to love ER. Whenis the finale. (Date and time?) My luck, i'm probably working late.
Ya, thats a wierd feeling when you are familiar w/ someone who dies tragically. I dont know if ya'll remember when Laura Smithers was abducted and killed down here in Friendswood, a couple of years ago. They had her story on that national TV show to find her killer. America Undercover I think.
They came to my shop regularly and she was friends w/ my bosses Daughter. I was at the Laura recovery center, and went on a search for her, and ended up getting interviewed on live TV. It was a horrible time, and the feeling in your gut is not something that can be explained. Its a very sickening feeling. I can understand....
On another note....i'm not used to it being 25 degrees at night!!!!! Highs in the 50's....too wierd. I''m ready for a tan!

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:40 AM   #8
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

ha it was a balmy high of 34 here today & 15 tonight so you wanna trade? i hate being axed too i bleed easy haha

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 01:14 AM   #9
PKRWUD

Default Re: :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Topless In Texas
I havent watched TV in ages, but I used to love ER. Whenis the finale. (Date and time?) My luck, i'm probably working late.
Sometime in May.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-28-2002, 01:42 AM   #10
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

hey chris your pm box is full hehe.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 02:08 AM   #11
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy horse gt
hey chris your pm box is full hehe.
All better.

I have your address now.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-28-2002, 10:54 AM   #12
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Default Ramblings

PKRWUD:

You sound a bit like Andy Rooney here but I can sympathize with most of your complaints and observations, Chris.

We have a drought here in the Northeast, too. Rainfall is way below normal and water rationing is right around the corner if we don't get some real heavy rains, real soon. The forecast shows rain for Sunday so we'll see, but we need a week's worth or more of steady rain (or a blizzard or two).

I hate the 'ghetto talk' so many use today. Not just the foul language but the slangy, often unintelligible sounds made by young white guys trying to sound 'black' and often too young to even realize that what they sound like (mostly, unintelligible).

As for accents; I've lived and traveled around the country and there are accents everywhere that you kind of adjust to. I grew up on Long Island, N.Y. (just outside Manhattan) and had a thick 'New Yawk' accent as a kid. When I went to broadcasting school, a speech therapist helped me get rid of it and speak accent-free, which I still do.

However, in the south, (Atlanta, GA) I recall a lady asking me for - what sounded like - a 'ca-cala when I was working in a restaurant there.
Of course, she just wanted a Coca-Cola and a native Georgian co-worker 'translated' her request for me. I eventually got into the speech pattern and could understand most everybody, even when they 'axed' me something.

Living near Boston, I hear the 'Kennedy' accent all the time.
"Paaaak ya kaaaar" (Park your car) is a good example.
It's kind of fun to hear and discern different accents. Midwesteners always pronounce 'insurance' with two syllable's ("IN-surance") and of course, Canadians say 'about' as "a-boot'' and so on.

As for the barely-teen girls pushing makeup; I dislike makeup (a personal perference my wife shares, I don't care much what anyone else does) so I hate to see young girls selling it and using it but that's America, I guess.
We've sexualized our kids, especially girls, at younger and younger ages until childhood ends at about eight and we're making pre-teens into little 'women', way, way before they have a clue how to deal with it (but like to think they do, of course).

No wonder kids rebel at 13 and really think they should 'run their own lives' - as if they have the maturity to make life-changing decisions (sex, drugs). Adults push kids into a false maturity. Needing a bra doesn't make a 14-year-old a 'women' and two facial hairs don't make a boy a 'man' but adults act as if it does, then are shocked when the 'boy' or 'girl' wants the freedoms of a self-supporting adult. Dumb.

Danny Pearl as a classmate? Wow. Yes, weird. A classic case of seeing your own mortality in another's death.
A tragic situation...no one deserves to die like that...but he did put himself in the situation in order to get the 'big story' and his gamble cost him his life. Someone needs to hang for that, and they probably will, but it won't help Danny.

Finally: ER. For years, our favorite show. Beautifully written, real depth of characters and well-acted.Now, it's faltering as all long-running TV shows do. The main actors are leaving for new challenges and the show is wheezing, although I'm half in love with the character of Abby Lockheart, the RN played by the brilliant (and appealing) Maura Tierney and will watch it just for her.

I have a very good idea of how the season ends so no real shocks there, but if ER fades out, I still have CSI, a great new show about Crime Scene Investigations with a cool theme song and great visual effects that help explain the science and keep the show interesting. Great cast, including the non-hunky but intelligent and interesting William Petersen as Gil Grissom, the lead investigator (O.K., he reminds me of me) and the lovely but tough Marg Helgenberger as his senior investigator, Catherine Willows. Great show and just before ER. Check it out if you haven't already.

Thanks for sharing, Chris.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:22 PM   #13
mustangdani55
Registered Member

Sounds to me like someone needs a back rub...

You do make very good points tho, as do you MR 5 0., as usual.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:24 PM   #14
kystang86
Registered Member

did someone say backrub ? please!
Old 02-28-2002, 01:39 PM   #15
PKRWUD

Back rub, front rub, rub rub.

Yeah, that works.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-28-2002, 01:46 PM   #16
Coupe Devil

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
Back rub, front rub, rub rub.

Yeah, that works.

Take care,
-Chris
Easy there turbo, You'll get in trouble for puttin the lotion on to fast man. Wouldnt want that. (i.e never go to a nude beach, you sunburn EVERYWHERE ......OUCH

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote