MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-17-2003, 01:45 PM   #1
CADreamin
Registered Member

Default "Special" Coolant?

Inspired by the first nice weather we've had around here in a long time, I went out to wash and detail my car and poke around under the hood on Saturday.

My coolant's looking a little funky so I figure it's time for a flush and fill.

However, in looking at the stickers under the hood apparently Ford says my car needs "special" coolant. It's not the orange stuff that's in the GM cars. Will I be OK with the standard Prestone stuff, or do I in fact need to go to the Ford dealer for this stuff? If so, what's so "speical" about it?

Thanks,

98 Mustang GT Coupe
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 11:55 PM   #2
Technick
Registered Member

It's special because it is in a Ford! No really, as long as you use a good name brand coolant, Zerex, Prestone, Texaco, ect. you should be fine. If you want to be on the safe side, go to a Ford dealer and ask to see a gal. of their antifreeze and jot down the "meets or exceeds" bla bla bla specs. Then see if the aftermarket antifreeze at least meets those specs. I called my local Ford dealer and they said they are selling Texaco brand right now because they got such a good deal on it. So it really is not all that important, just flush your system out every 2 years and replace the coolant and you will be fine.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:30 AM   #3
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

As stated above...I use Prestone every 20,000 miles.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 08:43 AM   #4
CADreamin
Registered Member

Thanks to the both of you. I checked at Prestone's website for their list of specs met or exceeded, and their regular coolant does meet the Ford spec listed in my owner's manual.

The sticker under the hood makes it seem like the coolant is a Ford-only product. I just didn't want to go ahead and act without checking first. I guess Ford (or any car company) will do anything to get you to buy parts at the dealership.

Thanks again,

98 Mustang GT Coupe
Old 03-19-2003, 10:03 AM   #5
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

You changing it yourself?

If so, make sure you get all the air out of the cooling system...If you don't, it may overheat.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC

Last edited by Red Mustang Gt 46; 03-19-2003 at 10:16 AM..
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 11:21 AM   #6
CADreamin
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm going to do it myself...thanks for the tip. Typically I'll start up the engine and run it with the cap off and the heat on after adding the new coolant, squeeze the rad hoses a few times, add more, and repeat. Then after driving it a little I add more if needed.

While we're on the subject, do you guys usually open up the drain plugs in the block as well as the one at the bottom of the radiator? If so, are they a PITA to get in and out?

Thanks,

98 Mustang GT Coupe
Old 03-19-2003, 03:51 PM   #7
66StangGuy
Registered Member

just open the one on the radiator and let the fluid drain out. after you refill i believe that there is a air bleed screw near the uppper radiator hose on the block thats labeled. this might only be on the older 90-95 stangs but i think they kept that for the newer stangs. just open up the screw and it will help get all the air out of the system. if you not sure of anything else or if you are kinda worried about doing something just ask and im sure one of the guys here can help you out.