MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-26-2003, 02:39 PM   #1
ac97gt
Registered Member

Default removing stock h pipe 97 gt

where the stock h pipe connects to the manifold on the passengers side it seems impossible to get anything on the bolts??? i cant figure it out, me and my dad have been trying everything. we tried swivel head with extensions, but theres just no room to get into there. both of the bolts are equally as hard. they are so close to the right front wheel well and all chassis parts it seems impossible, has anyone done this? whats the trick??

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 03:10 PM   #2
ac97gt
Registered Member

update: pulled off the wheel and got a straight angle at the farthest bolt and got it off. also sheared a craftsman swivel head, got a snap on swivel head ON the other one, but just cant get it off... the problem with the swivel head is you seem to put more pressure on the joint of the head than the bolt.... this is such a pain, with the chassis that goes around the wheel there is no way to get an angle on this bolt, grrrrrr

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 07-26-2003, 05:40 PM   #3
ac97gt
Registered Member

another update... another craftsman swivel head snapped .. found a way to go in between a small section in the wheel well (wheel removed) to get straight at it with a regular ratchet... used like 2 feet of extensions on it but the damn bolt seems to be seized.... hit it with mapp gas and it didnt do it, now goin for the acetylene/oxygen. just about out of light for the day too, gonna call it quits if this doesnt work

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 07-26-2003, 06:28 PM   #4
ac97gt
Registered Member

sorry to bore you guys with my problems, but final update.... that ******* bolt rounded off finally and isnt coming out. the x pipe will be on its way back to where i bought it i guess, its too much work to cut the bolt, drop and retap the manifold for the stud and neither of us feel like doing it, and especially not today. this is unbelievably frustrating and really pisses me off.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 07-27-2003, 07:31 PM   #5
ac97gt
Registered Member

this is really grating on me now... i dont want to return it.... does anyone have any ideas? anyone who has taken off this h pipe knows what im talkin about.. the one bolt on the passengers side by the manifold cant get a straight shot at, and on my car is also seized. two questions now: how are you supposed to get this bolt off if it werent seized, and how can i unseize it? we tried the lubricant antiseize stuff as we were wrenching it, tried the impact gun (with the swivel head socket), tried torching it pretty hot and very hot. we are stuck. we cant just cut it because the stud would still be in the manifold which means the manifold would have to come down. also, how many labor hours would it take a shop to remove this bolt, even if they had to drop the manifold and redrill/tap the hole? please! someone help!! i dont know what to do.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride