MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-24-2002, 11:15 AM   #1
southernstang97

Thumbs up tubular sub-frame

ok ,

I bought some tubular sub-frames a while back and they have been setting in my garage for a little while now. So this pass weekend I took them to get them welded on. The sub-frame are made by CGS Design and fit from the front sub-frame all the way to the back of the back sub-frame. It cost me $15.00 bucks to have them welded on and only took say 30 mins because the guy was slow !!! I had to help him get them inline but then again that way I knew they where put on right !

But I placed this post on here to say that I should have put these on a long time ago ! This is by far one of the best suspension mods that I have done , but then again I dropped my Stang almost 2in, so the sub-frames where a must ! But they help in many differnt ways , make the car feel complete and take the bounce out of the ride !! I got these sub-frame from e-bay ( i know most people are scared of e-bay but thats ok just means less bidders ) they only cost me $40.00 bucks plus shipping which was $12.00 , so by far a cheap and easy mod to do to the stang !!! They wanted $150.00 at the local shop ( Hot Rod Store ) !

If you do not have sub-frames on your stang , put them on ASAP !!!!!!
Old 06-26-2002, 12:40 AM   #2
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

I just wanted to ask what kind of shop did you have weld them in place? Do you know if there is a differance in performane or feel between tubular and normal sub-frame connectors... Thinking about getting some here soon...... Thanks.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:18 AM   #3
southernstang97

Cool reply

I had them put on at a local muffler shop , had them pull it up on the alignment machine so that the car would be level and have all the cars weight on the frames .

The tubular sub-frames are the strongest , the box type do not hang as low , the tubular sub-frames hang down as low as your exhaust system.

My car now handle's like a dream , when I now take corners the car does not pull , does not want to come out from under you. And for the performance side of it , when you put sub-frames on your car it make the suspension work like it should. You will see that the struts and shocks will take more of the shock from the road. When you get on it , the tires stay on the ground a lot better , but the biggest improvement is in the way the car handle's and feels .

Bottom line , these are like getting a shifter , there a must for your STANG .
Old 06-26-2002, 08:23 AM   #4
southernstang97

Question AFEEZOR97 , QUESTION ???

afeezor97 ,

Hey i see that you have a 97 , thats sweet !! I also see that you have a msd-dis4 . I would like to know how that has help ride out , what do you see the most improvemnet in? Also if you installed it your self , how was that ? And would you tell other people to get the msd ?
Also what kind of times are you turning at the track ?eta ?
Old 06-26-2002, 12:40 PM   #5
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

To be honest, the MSD didnt help my times to much, but i see it as a part i was going to need in the lone run anyway. I just put it in two weeks ago, so i havent had the change to see if it helped gas mileage. But under acceration the engine has a slightly different sound to it. I installed it myself, it was very easy, but the problem is that on 96-98s you have to get 2 dual ingnition adapters in order for it to work, and theyre $60 each. MSD makes a bracket to mount the box between the strut tower brace against the firewall. As far as wire cutting, you basicaly cut the connectors off the coil packs and splic the MSD into the harness. It was really easy.

The best I have run at the track it a 14.9 @ 92.7, i am going back this friday to try it again... If it wasnt for my traction problem, I'd probably be in the mid 14s, and if it wasnt a Convertible, I might see lower 14s.

I would recommend the DIS-4, but to get the most out of it, you'll need to do the hole deal, HiPo Coil Pack (i like the from Performance Distributors) and better plug wires.. I have used MSD in every car i have owned and have always been happy with the results.....